What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Picture request - exhaust hangers on RV-8 with IO-360-A

Kevin Horton

Well Known Member
I'm finally putting the engine back on our RV-8, and I'm looking for some pictures of exhaust hangers for IO-360-A engines on RV-8. When I built mine originally, I followed Larry Vetterman's instructions at the time, which were to hang the exhaust from the engine mount. Now that I am reinstalling the engine, I'd like to move to his later guidance and hang the exhaust from the back of the oil sump. The problem is that I can't find a clear shot to do that on the left side. An engine mount tube is in the way, as is my heat muff on the pipe from #4. I'm hoping that pictures of someone else's installation will give me a hint on a good way to sort this out.

The down time has been a lot longer than I had hoped, largely due to too much time on the road. I'll post all the details on the resolution of my engine issue after I get flying again.

This what you looking for.

Hey Kevin. Here is a picture of mine. Hope this helps and is what you are looking for. I used Vettermans hanging method/hardware from the rear of the sump (Superior), but I have a custom exhaust.

The reason the right exhaust holder has oil on it is because my breather tube drops the oil above this and hasn't been burning it off at the support point. I believe I am going to move the breather tube down a little past the holder band to prevent that so it will look like the left one.

This picture was taken just before I had to swap out the cracked case, so you can see some oil drips from the oil that was thrown around (ie not very clean). Dave
s0v0ps.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that a standoff on a long engine sump bolt? (left pipe, lower right in photo)

Hey Kevin. Here is a picture of mine. Hope this helps and is what you are looking for. I used Vettermans hanging method/hardware from the rear of the sump (Superior), but I have a custom exhaust.

The reason the right exhaust holder has oil on it is because my breather tube drops the oil above this and hasn't been burning it off at the support point. I believe I am going to move the breather tube down a little past the holder band to prevent that so it will look like the left one.

This picture was taken just before I had to swap out the cracked case, so you can see some oil drips from the oil that was thrown around (ie not very clean). Dave
s0v0ps.jpg

Thanks Dave,

I certainly wouldn't have thought of putting a standoff on that sump bolt. I've got to admit I'd be nervous about the bending stress where that bolt goes into the sump. I fear the bolt would eventually fail. But, your solution gives me the germ of an idea. It might be possible to build a bracket that picks up two or three bolts.

here's how mine is mounted

HI Kevin,

this is an IO-360-A1A, standard Lycoming horizontal intake sump, with Vetterman crossover exhaust

The picture was intended to show the oil cooler install, but you can see the exhaust hangers in the picture, attaching to the sump with some tabs.
I can't remember if I made those tabs or if they were supplied.
But, I don't recall having any trouble with the engine mount tubes being in the way.

Maybe it is because I postioned the clamps on the exhaust pipes a little farther forward. It looks like they are about an inch behind the ball joints.
230+ hours, trouble-free.

100_1802a.jpg

Thanks

Hey Dan and Kevin. Sorry I haven't checked this thread since I posted, but Dan's excellent writeup on the oil consumption and breather tube made me think about it, so I just now came to look.

Thanks for pointing it out Kevin (and I know that's why you were asking Dan). You both are correct (and I didn't give it enough thought when I came up with it). It makes sense that there would be more stress on that bolt than there needs to be. My plan will be to take that aluminum standoff off and make a template with the other two holes on each side of the main hole where the long bolt goes through. Then have stiffner supports to support the longer tube. This is support like Kevin mentioned.

My question is whether this should be made out of steel or can I get away with thicker aluminum? I would guess steel. Any thoughts Dan or Kevin (or anybody else)?

BTW, I am going to do something like what you have done Dan. Thank you for that very nice writeup and looking forward to more info on it. You can see from the picture I posted above, the issue I am having with the oil from the breather -- it's just not burning off like I want it to and a little bit of a mess on the bracket.

Dave

Alternate suggestion.....the coiled cable type tailpipe support supplied with an AWI pipe has been bulletproof.

This is a bad photo from early in the build, but it shows the hangar assembly pretty well. The upper bracket plate is bolted up through the aluminum angle inside the fuselage at the base of the firewall. The lower bracket just clamps around the pipe. In between is a few coils of stainless steel cable fastened with nicopress sleeves. You adjust the firmness of the support at installation by how tight you pull the coils before crimping the last nico.

23sx6x4.jpg

I finally finished fighting with this exhaust system on Saturday. The right side mount goes to the bolt just below the engine mount. The left side mount had to be angled toward the centre of the back row of bolts on the oil sump.

Better?

Hey Kevin and Dan. Here is the fix for what you pointed out on the long standoff in the previous picture. I had gussets welded on each side and it's steel now (made a little bracket). Thanks for pointing it out. Dave
2hozexu.jpg
[/IMG]

Back