What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First small Cross Country in RV-3

ShannonEvans

Well, I took the RV3 on a small cross country today to get a little better feel of the plane. DW followed along in his RV4. Plane flew nice & it was fun to fly with a friend. Went from K17 to KGBD to KDDC to K17. Looks like the plane is an honest 180 - 185mph plane. I was hoping for a little faster, but I think a few "aero" clean ups are needed this winter & will help. It was very even or touch faster than 150hp (Hartzell Contant Speed) RV 4 in Level flight, but Dwight could outclimb me on take off (I figured on that). If weather good & can practice more landings this week planning another trip next Sat. Likely from K17 - KWDG (for breakfast) - stop by LOE - back to K17.:D Will see, but this could cost me alot of avgass:rolleyes:.

Shannon

Spread your wings Shannon - Louise did Sacramento to Houston (1500 miles?) in one day in Tsam back in June!

Excellent that you're enjoying your plane, Shannon. We hear so few RV-3 trip reports. I know it's tight, but if I had one, I think I'd love taking it on longer trips. A little like a roadster on Route 66, just me and the open road. Tell us more about what you discover. Paul and Louise kinda own the XC -3 storytelling lately, and do well with it, but the more stories the better. With pix if you have them!

--
Stephen

Guy's after today I have 4hours & 13landings in the RV3. I was out last week with a sinus infection so I am slowly working my way into cross country trips. I do plan to take more cross country trips with it in very near future & will try to get some pics. So far the 3 & myself are in the early stages of our relationship.;)

sharp plane

I saw your plane when you were in great bend,,,really sharp, I just started my build and looked over your plane and your friend's rv-4 for nothing other than inspiration

breakfast

I am not sure of the airport number but if your back in this area, just on the other side of lake wilson in the town of lucas. the runway runs smack into a great homemade breakfast with homemade hashbrowns biscuits and slap bacon..very good

Cross Country RV3

I've been flying my RV 3 N51RV quite a bit, +50 hours since May of this year. The honeymoon is not over.
Three trips from Waukesha, WI KUES to Columbus, OH KOSU. I fly around Lake Michigan, average 158 knots, and with a tail wind, did the 350 nautical mile trip in 1hr and 58 minutes.
I'm comfortable, and have done the round trip in one day.
I'll try to attach a pic.
I am a true believer.
Stan Markus

photoMA30173165-0002.jpg

Looks good Stan. Made trip Sat to KWDG (Enid, Ok) for fly in breakfast then went to KOJA for the LOE rally & back to K17. Still learning the plane, but it is a great cross country flyer. 420 statute mile round trip in about 2.5hrs flying time. This inclueded 3 take offs & landings & climbout.:cool:

Shannon,
Great!
2.5 hours is all the plane and my body can take.
Leaves about 45-60 minutes of fuel left for me.
Let me know if you get up here, like for Oshkosh...
Stan

Back