What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hangar/workshop locations in DFW

NTex

Well Known Member
I started a thread about buying a project, and I keep finding reasons to justify making the plunge. The S/O just gave the go-ahead and is very supportive (she even wants to start taking lessons).

Anyhow, this project is near or past the point where it can live in a garage (moot since I rent an apartment.) From what I read, it's a good idea to have your workspace nearby so the project gets worked on more frequently. I live in downtown dallas, and work in arlington. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Price is definitely a factor, but I also want to balance location so I can actually work on it during the week.

I'm looking at an rv-9a QB kit, on the main gears with an engine mounted for what it's worth.

Thanks for any suggestions!

At the stage the build sounds like it is at you could still do a lot of work in a two-car garage. However, it is very nice to have enough space to fit the wings for rigging, cutting the flap hole, fitting the wing tips, ect. before going to the airport. Since you live in an apartment I would look for at 20x30 storage/warehouse area that has power and is OK to work in. I would also compare to cost to hangar space at the airports nearby. If the cost is similar, go with the hangar. Make sure to check the airport rules, not all allow you to do that kind of work in your hangar.

Having a shop nearby is not always a key to build success or time reduction...mine is 20 steps out my back door and I do not work on it nearly as much as I would like.

That said...what is keeping you from exchanging rent for a mortgage? I would think the S/O would be happy as can be with a house with a garage at these historic low rates. Then the shop distance becomes moot.

Just a thought to consider.

Having a shop nearby is not always a key to build success or time reduction...mine is 20 steps out my back door and I do not work on it nearly as much as I would like.

That said...what is keeping you from exchanging rent for a mortgage? I would think the S/O would be happy as can be with a house with a garage at these historic low rates. Then the shop distance becomes moot.

Just a thought to consider.

Good point about purchasing - I'm actually waiting to hear back on an offer. Since I travel for work so much a condo/apt made sense, but like you said I can't pass up these rates.

For what it's worth, I ended up renting a t-hangar at Redbird (aka Dallas Executive). It's not too far away, and was marginally more expensive than renting an adequate storage unit.

Also, I purchased an 9A project the other weekend! I'm excited about starting to work on it - so far I've just continued my research and re-read the plans/build manual.

I live on a airpark. I have a pretty decent size hangar that I could let you use to do your final assembly for not cost. I just like helping people out. :)

Wow, thanks for the offer! I actually moved the plane into redbird (dallas executive) just south of town. There's quite a bit of finishing to do, fiberglass, avionics, tail feathers, cowl, etc. but the insurance company wants it to stay there until it flies. Hopefully it will be soon!

Back