What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Let's get ForeFlight to add support for more ADS-B receivers!

digidocs

Well Known Member
Hi guys,

Let's convince ForeFlight to add support for more ADS-B receivers. The ADS-B market is exploding when innovation in performance, capability, and cost. However, ForeFlight has tethered themselves exclusively to the Stratus (expensive, and at the low end of the features and reliability totem pole).

Please let the ForeFlight team know that you too, would like to see support for other ADS-B receivers like the Sagetech Clarity, Dual, and Skyradar units!

Here's an email I wrote to [email protected]:

Dear ForeFlight team,

You guys have by far the best in-cockpit app in the business. Your ease of use, polish, and attention to detail make Wing-X look silly by comparison.

Unfortunately, I've been recently forced to give up on ForeFlight and switch to Wing-X because of Foreflight's very limited ADS-B receiver support. The Stratus receiver is simply not up to par in comparison to the other units on the market. It's expensive, bulky, and has a tendency to shut down in-flight due to it's very limited operating temperature range. The Stratus maximum operating temperature is 95F, and sadly no GA glare shield I've experienced regularly stays below 95F. Sagetech, Garmin, and even SkyRadar are making ADS-B receivers that outdo the Stratus in RF performance, form factor, and cost.

In short, Sagetech is to Stratus as ForeFlight is to Wing-X. Please save me from Wing-X. It really, really hurts.

David Carr

(who's SkyRadar ADS-B receiver is ugly, but high performing and relatively inexpensive)​

I love Foreflight and I love the GDL-39. Can't have both and weather is nice. Interestingly, the GDL will supply GPS position to the Foreflight app.

Yep

I love Foreflight and I love the GDL-39. Can't have both and weather is nice. Interestingly, the GDL will supply GPS position to the Foreflight app.

Foreflight's shortsightedness cost them my business. I personally think Foreflight is far superior to WingX, but it's what talks to Skyradar which I can USB into my GRT.

I have written to Foreflight, but I have also signed up for 3 years of WingX Pro so I will get used to it. :(

Remember that Foreflight is only half the equation.

The maker of the ADS-B box must also agree to allow integration with Foreflight.

I can almost guarantee you that the interface protocols are far from standard between these units.

I am on my second year of Foreflight and really like it but I am about to buy a GDL39 and will need to switch to Garmin Pilot.

Back