What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Build a paint booth----check

Don Jones

Well Known Member
Spent the long weekend building a paint booth to paint the project. I framed it up with lumber so it was more robust since as soon as the plane is painted the wife has informed me I was painting her little work car. Still need to put the plastic on the roof and finish the ventilation system and lighting, but should work well. Paint and off to the airport!

paintbooth.jpg

paintbooth2.jpg

paintbooth3.jpg

Looks good. Don what are the dimensions you used for your booth? I'm about ready to start painting components as well.

Don, That is sweet!

My plans are similar to yours. I don't want to remove the plane from service to paint it.

This advice came from Vlad. He is wishing that he painted prior to first flight for that very reason!

Looks great!

:) CJ

When you install your ventilation system can you post pictures

Thanks

Sure, you can see the exhaust filters mounted in the door. I am blowing air into the booth and filtering the exhaust to keep the overspray off of stuff I don't want painted;) When I get the fan system installed I will post pics.

Another Paint Booth

I used a PVC booth last year on another project. I wanted something a bit more robust for polyurethane. I bought a 10' x 20' portable garage that uses 1" steel tubing that bolts together ($212). After I've finished painting the garage will house a small pickup truck. I covered this with 3 mil plastic instead of the supplied canvas material. The plastic is clamped on using 2" lengths of 1 1/4" PVC that have a section removed allowing them to open and go over the steel pipes. I then constructed a door frame with 6- 24"x20" filters for the intake and collector box using 4- 24" x 20" filters. Northern tools has a blower motor which I use in a suction mode at the end of a 12" diameter 20' long flexible hose. I open a side door at the hangar and place the motor out the side door. It exchanges the air every 1 1/2 minutes and works great. The only thing I would change is to make it bigger. I believe a 12' by 24' would be ideal. Lighting is supplied with 6 dual bulb 4`flourescent lights attached along the top rails using 1" electrical conduit plastic clamps.

1592babd.jpg

1de9246e.jpg

4b276afe.jpg

a7da69d0.jpg

What kinds of products are you guys spraying in these booths? I already have one of the steel pole garages (12 x 20 x 8), found it on clearance a while back. I'm concerned about starting a fire without sealed lights or explosion proof fans (checked northern tool on that fan). While my plan is to mostly shoot Stewart Systems, there are a couple of solvent items I'd like to use also.

Thanks,
Matt

Safety first

I bought a 24" two speed fan with a sealed motor for the ventilation system, designed it with the fan on the exterior and used double filters between the fan and the paint booth to minimize some of the paint fog hitting the fan. We also taped each electrical light outlet at the plug to reduce potential of a spark should anyone disconnect a plug. The tape is a reminder to not unplug anything unless there are no vapors in the booth. We had filters at the front and each side of the booth as fresh air was filtered as it came into the booth and flowed out thru the fan filter, which worked great as we calculated that we completely replaced the air in the booth once every 6 minutes. Overspray immediately went down to the ground and traveled towards the filtered fan. Notice the long zippers at the outer sides so we could move parts/plane in and out. The PVC bottom brace was removable and when in place the plastic folded under the bottom brace. A box to tape to the booth and hold the filters is taped to the fan so air flows well.
15h0so5.jpg
[/IMG]

The "intake filters".
25oxs9k.jpg
[/IMG]

Make it as big as possible as it does get crowded and you want to paint as many items as possible per session.
ncjntl.jpg
[/IMG]

Wear proper protection.
2ymuiyc.jpg
[/IMG]

Build racks and hangers with pipe, wood and PVC which can be moved in and out.
2lsvdic.jpg
[/IMG]

(On to part2)
Pat Garboden
RV9A

Part 2 Paint booth

It may look big from the outside but when you get it loaded up you will have to be careful not to brush up against a part or drag the air hose into your paint. Don't ask me how I know this.
rwrz11.jpg
[/IMG]

Wings, ailerons, flaps and assorted small parts make for very tight quarters when spraying together.
ngbjvb.jpg
[/IMG]

I hope the pictures give you some ideas.

Pat Garboden
RV9A N942PT (Reserved)
Yes, my dues are paid.

Back