What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotax AD

jlfernan

Well Known Member
Just saw this.

http://www.eaa.org/news/2012/2012-08-29_FAA-issues-emergency-AD-for-some-rotax-912-engines.asp

FAA Issues Emergency AD for Some Rotax 912 Engines

August 29, 2012 - The FAA has issued an emergency airworthiness directive affecting certain Rotax 912 series engines. The AD requires that the pressure side fuel hose be replaced on fuel pumps with the following serial numbers:

?11.3117 through 11.3325 inclusive
?11.4036 through 11.4355 inclusive
?11.4516 through 11.4595 inclusive
?12.0251 through 12.0270 inclusive
An AD from the European Aviation Safety Agency indicates that the pressure side fuel hose on these pumps may not be manufactured to full fuel-resistant standards, which could result in the degradation of the interior of the hose and the resulting debris fouling the fuel system.

The AD becomes effective Monday, September 10. Affected owners have five flight hours from that date to make the prescribed repairs. EAA advises owners of Rotax 912-powered aircraft - type certificated and non-type-certificated - to check the AD to determine if your engine is among those affected. For more information, EAA members may call EAA Aviation Services at 920-426-5912.

Last edited:
On or about 5/31/12 ROTAX issued a service bulletin about these fuel hoses. At that time there was a thread in this forum about that - but I can no longer find that thread. Apparently the FAA has elevated that to an AD. I don't remember anyone posting that the serial numbers in the original SBM applied to their engine. They did not to mine. The SBM was here http://www.rotax-owner.com/pdf/ASB-912-061.pdf

Also, as I recall, if you purchased one of the new style fuel pumps with the hoses already attached, your pressure side hose may be bad. There are serial numbers listed in the SB that can be checked.

Rick.

On or about 5/31/12 ROTAX issued a service bulletin about these fuel hoses. At that time there was a thread in this forum about that - but I can no longer find that thread. Apparently the FAA has elevated that to an AD. I don't remember anyone posting that the serial numbers in the original SBM applied to their engine. They did not to mine. The SBM was here http://www.rotax-owner.com/pdf/ASB-912-061.pdf

Bill, the affected ULS engine numbers are in the this SBM: http://legacy.rotax-owner.com/si_tb_info/alertbulletins/asb-912-061ul.pdf

I only received my engine this week, and it is in the list :(, but I don't know whether Vans replaced the hoses before shipping the engine. I've asked the question but expect the answer will be no.

The fuel pump with hoses attached is selling for $511 and a fuel pump alone is selling for $167. If my math is right, each fuel hose adds $172 to the price of the pump. I know there is some labor involved in attaching the hose but $172 for a fuel hose that's not compatable with fuel? I hope no one was injured before they figured this one out. :(

Rick

Bill, the affected ULS engine numbers are in the this SBM: http://legacy.rotax-owner.com/si_tb_info/alertbulletins/asb-912-061ul.pdf

I only received my engine this week, and it is in the list :(, but I don't know whether Vans replaced the hoses before shipping the engine. I've asked the question but expect the answer will be no.

Only 3 or 4 effected engines got shipped from Van's before the SB was issued. All the rest (approx. 10 others) were corrected before they were shipped.
If your engine is one of the effected serial #'s, check the engine log book for an entry mentioning compliance with the SB.

Only 3 or 4 effected engines got shipped from Van's before the SB was issued. All the rest (approx. 10 others) were corrected before they were shipped.
If your engine is one of the effected serial #'s, check the engine log book for an entry mentioning compliance with the SB.

Scott, thanks. Never occurred to me to check the obvious, but the log book confirms the ASB has been complied with. This forum is the best!

Rob

It is a while since this thread was alive but I just ran into the realization that my engine is also within the range of serial numbers affected by this SB.
I was about to just order a replacement fuel hose when I came across this article from Scott talking about checking the engine log to see if this has already been done by Van's.
Well, WHAT ENGINE LOG? My engine did not get shipped with any paperwork that would qualify as an engine log, so I'm pretty confused right now. Even more so as Rob seems to have been able to check compliance in this mysterious log.
Any hints as to what I might have overlooked or been missing?!

Torsten, the engine log that came with my Rotax documentation is a softcover booklet, if that helps.

It looks like a pamphlet. You may have thought it was just ROTAX propaganda, but it is an engine log. Easy to misidentifying if you don't flip through it.

Every engine comes from Rotax with a logbook. Mine, for my CT is clearly labeled "Rotax Motor Logbuch" and "Engine Log Book". It is specific to that engine.

Measures 5.8" x 8.3", greyish in color with a red white and blue striped border.

If yours didn't have one with it, call Van's.

I'll browse through my stack of documentation when I get home and see if I can dig it up.... I don't recall seeing anything like you described but one never knows.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Your hints were all helpful and I found it stashed away with the service and maintenance manuals as it looks just like them. I had never opened it or realized what it was before tonight. I'm happy to see that the SB had already been taken care of before delivery of the engine. One less thing to work on!

IMG_0115.JPG

Back