What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh

Build9A

Well Known Member
If I decide at last minute to go to Oshkosh, what is a good (within 1 hour driving) airport where I would have a decent chance of finding a rental car and a motel? My wife likes to fly, but doesn't like flying in to large flyins, like Sun-N-Fun, which is her only big event. Any advice would be appreciated. thanks, Jack

Build9A said:
If I decide at last minute to go to Oshkosh, what is a good (within 1 hour driving) airport where I would have a decent chance of finding a rental car and a motel? My wife likes to fly, but doesn't like flying in to large flyins, like Sun-N-Fun, which is her only big event. Any advice would be appreciated. thanks, Jack
I am not sure what is available now as far as rental cars. My wife and I are flying into Chicago (O'Hare), renting a car and driving to Oshkosh from there. We looked into flying into Milwaulkee also but would have had to transfer at O'Hare. With the layover we would have faced to connect to a flight to Milwaukee we figured we could drive the distance from Chicago in the same amount of time it would take to wait for the connecting flight. We got a good price on a rental car from Enterprise so we hope to have a pleasant drive up from Chicago (aprox. 163 miles).

Other airports you could fly to commercially are Madison or Greenbay but as I said the connections were not worth the wait for us.

If you are flying your airplane then I guess my advice on commercial flights is moot. There are several good airports within an hours drive of Oshkosh but since I am not at that point in my RV building I am stuck flying commercial and cannot offer much help concerning rentals in those areas. Good Luck.

Last edited:
Milwaukee, Timmerman field still has rooms and cars available. about 80 miles.

Last edited:
If you don't mind a 1 1/2 hour drive, give MNM (Marinette/Menominee Twin County Airport in Menominee MI) a try. We have Avis cars here, and I am sure that you would be able to get a motel room in the area. 100LL is currently $3.70/gal. We are located on the northern shore of Green Bay. Very pretty area to fly into.

The Avis car rental number here is 906-863-9412 and talk to either Buck, Randy or Tony. Tell them Doc Orear sent you!

Motels you can try are the Best Western Riverfront Inn local # is 715-732-1000 or toll free at 1-800-338-3305. There is also the AmericInn Motel &Suites local# is 1-906-863-8699 or the toll number is 1-800-634-3444.

Our local EAA chapter is hosting the T34's that perform formation flights at Osh the weekend before the show. They base here to practice up before the big show. Saturday night, the 22'nd, we throw a big cookout at the airport. Come join us!

Regards,

RVbySDI said:
With the layover we would have faced to connect to a flight to Milwaukee we figured we could drive the distance from Chicago in the same amount of time it would take to wait for the connecting flight.
True unless its near rush hour. We used to drive that way from Aurora (western burbs), but these days its faster to go out west, and up through Madison.

As for the original question, if you don't mind camping you can land at Fond du Lac, and they even have a shuttle so no car is necessary. Its probably too late to get a hotel in that area though.

keen9a said:
True unless its near rush hour. We used to drive that way from Aurora (western burbs), but these days its faster to go out west, and up through Madison.
I lived in Aurora and Sandwich when I was a kid (10 years old) but I am afraid that did not give me any insight for driving in the Chicago area at all. Do you have any advice for driving from O'Hare to Oshkosh? What roads, highways should I be taking? I would appreciate any information from those who are familiar with driving from Chicago to Oshkosh. We will be leaving around 12:00 noon on July 24th from O'Hare in the rental car.

Build9A said:
Over the years, I've stayed in just about all the familiar towns linked to the Oshkosh experience, even commuted from far away Madison one year (won't do that again) but for overall convenience and minimum hassle, personally I find I prefer to fly to Austin Straubel airport in Green Bay. From the tiedown area, it is (usually) just a short walk to the terminal building to pick up the keys to a rental car. Oshkosh is an easy and about a 45-50 minute commute via Highway 41 South. For your lodging needs, check out "The Bay Motel and Family Restaurant" in Green Bay as a pleasing alternative to the ubiquitous and familiar cookie cutter franchise operations. In any event, the usual motels are all clustered in Green Bay near 41 and some offer daily shuttle service to and from AirVenture. I've even driven up there on the spur of the moment and got lucky but nevertheless, it is getting kinda late to reserve a room and car anywhere but you never know.

ORD to OSH

Shouldn't be too bad at noon, so just hop on 294 west (it goes north). It merges into 94 up north. In Milwaukee you can choose between the scenic route through town on 94 or using 894 to bypass the city. Either way you grab US45 in the same spot and 45 merges with US41 that goes straight to OSH.

One last thing, 294 is a tollway. Welcome to Illinois, stop ahead and pay toll! Not sure if there's one or two tolls from there, and its only 80 cents per.

thanks

Thanks for the quick and helpful responses. Sounds like a couple of good possibilities within reasonable driving distance. I'll be flying my 9A. Wish I could have convinced my wife to flyin to OSH. Maybe next year. take care and thanks again. Jack

keen9a said:
In Milwaukee you can choose between the scenic route through town on 94 or using 894 to bypass the city.
If you're coming through Milwaukee from the south, ABSOLUTELY DO NOT take the downtown route. The Marquette Interchange, which is the major freeway interchange downtown between I43 and I94 is in the middle of a multi-year rebuild, and it AFU'd seven ways from Sunday. Trust me, I drive it every day to work. It might be OK today, but tomorrow they may close the exit you need. And trust me, you do not want to take the exits north of downtown.

Take the bypass (I894) around the city from near the airport, and it'll spit you out right onto US45 north. Oshkosh is 1 hour from that point. Oh, and wave as you go past my house.

Last edited:
MKE

I flew into Milwaukee last year, rented a car, and drove up. I used the bypass, and it was a bit congested, but not too bad. Overall, a good experience, and the Milwaukee airport was very convenient. If I go back to OSH by commercial air, I'll do the same again.

keen9a said:
Shouldn't be too bad at noon, so just hop on 294 west (it goes north). It merges into 94 up north. In Milwaukee you can choose between the scenic route through town on 94 or using 894 to bypass the city. Either way you grab US45 in the same spot and 45 merges with US41 that goes straight to OSH.

One last thing, 294 is a tollway. Welcome to Illinois, stop ahead and pay toll! Not sure if there's one or two tolls from there, and its only 80 cents per.
Thanks for the information. I am hoping the weather will be good and we will have a pleasant scenic drive up from Chicago.

Sprucemoose said:
If you're coming through Milwaukee from the south, ABSOLUTELY DO NOT take the downtown route. The Marquette Interchange, which is the major freeway interchange downtown between I43 and I94 is in the middle of a multi-year rebuild, and it AFU'd seven ways from Sunday. Trust me, I drive it every day to work. It might be OK today, but tomorrow they may close the exit you need. And trust me, you do not want to take the exits north of downtown.

Take the bypass (I894) around the city from near the airport, and it'll spit you out right onto US45 north. Oshkosh is 1 hour from that point. Oh, and wave as you go past my house.
Thanks Jeff. I definetly think I will just drive the interstate route and skirt the city. If timing is right I should drive through Milwaukee sometime between 1:30 to 2:00. We will be sure to wave as we drive by.

Back