- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2012, 04:24 PM

Default Time for new rear window ...

I've 77 hours on my Hobbs and I need a new rear window. Any suggestions to make this new one last? Maybe someone is manufacturing a better design ... different material or special coating. The standard Lexan window, as we all know is very allergic to fuel ... and no matter how careful I am, accidents do happen. Perhaps a 9'x3' rubber tarp laid across the fuselage covering the window would do the trick ... maybe ...

If there are no better rear windows for the -12, I'll order another standard one from Van's ... then another one and then another one and then another one ... help!
VAF #1037
Reserved N124JG for RV-12
"12 for Jerry G.
http://jerryg150rv12.blogspot.com/
Old 08-12-2012, 05:51 PM

Just curious how many times fuel has been spilled on the lexan to ruin it. I have spilled fuel 1 time and no problems. It would be nice to come up with a solution to this. Good Luck
N588DF RV12 #336 Sold
N73DF RV12 #244 Flying
Rans S21 Outbound (Coming soon)
Old 08-12-2012, 05:54 PM

See if you can convince Carl Eldridge to make you one out of plex. I used one of his and it worked great. I also used a tinted one that looks great. Search plexiglass window RV-12.

Doug Dahl
Old 08-12-2012, 06:10 PM

While initially testing the fuel system with auto gas and my hand-cranked Flo-Fast system, I had a horrible spill onto the window, despite a piece of rubber mat with a hole in it. NOTHING WHATSOEVER HAPPENED! I thought "Whew!!! Maybe they changed the formulation!" Then on the way to OSHKOSH I had a small spill - first time using a commercial high-flow airport nozzle (still it was auto gas.) The rear window crazed in less than a second! Darn ! Darn ! Darn! The crazing does not extend very far from the edge - about a half inch or so. At OSH I talked to a few plexi and polishing vendors and all said that nothing can be done, but that the cracks won't spread any further. So I've temporarily run a piece of black electrical tape around the edge next to the aluminum to cover the crazing up. We'll see how that initially works, I have some other ideas short of changing the window out. Like they also make some metallized tapes that might not look too bad.

Be really really careful. A mat with a hole in it - well - it is easy for the gas to get under that hole. Another guy was using blue paint tape to attach a manila folder to shield that area. A small fuel amount would not be able to get under the blue tape.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:52 PM

Default Rear window gas detector

You guys miss the point. The rear window on the RV-12 was designed to detect the presence of any gasoline. This way, you never run out of gas, because you can't realistically put any in your airplane to start with. Safety first, folks!

But seriously.....am I to understand that my $65,000+ investment will result in an airplane with a problem like this? Why is no one complaining (loudly) about this debacle?

Unimpressed.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:16 PM

Just as another data point with nothing else whatsoever intended, implied, or intoned I have been putting gas in my RV-12 for 2 years and 2 months and have never had a drop get on the window. I started out covering it with a rubber mat that kept blowing off so after about 2 weeks I stopped using it. I am just uber careful. I use a Bykas Fun Fueler to fill it with that only pumps about 3 or 4 GPM powered by air pressure. I can hear when the fuel level just enters the filler neck and I stop, tank full.

http://www.bykas.com/Fun-Fueler-30-g...p/30%20gal.htm
RV-8 (Bought Flying)
Glasair Sportsman (Sold)
RV-8 Tail, QB Fuselage (Sold)
RV-4 (Bought Flying) (Sold)
RV-9 Tail
RV-12 120018 Flying (Sold)
RV-7 Tail, Wings, Started Fuse (Sold)
Old 08-12-2012, 07:37 PM

I did the same thing, will probably have the clear one for sale when I get done. The tint in this area of the country is welcome as well as not being prone to cracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDAHL View Post
See if you can convince Carl Eldridge to make you one out of plex. I used one of his and it worked great. I also used a tinted one that looks great. Search plexiglass window RV-12.

Doug Dahl
Old 08-12-2012, 08:11 PM

Default Plexiglass

After hearing about the Lexan crazing after several dousings with Mo gas I have no regrets going to Plex. I think Carl is actually using a different material now that doesn't crack as easily during drilling etc as Plex and still resists fuel damage. You'll have to contact him.

He may need some urging however...

Jersey

Last edited by jersey : 08-12-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryG150 View Post
I've 77 hours on my Hobbs and I need a new rear window.
... then another one and then another one and then another one ... help!
Jerry,

Do you really need a new window? I have a couple of small craze marks happen after a small fuel spill 2 years ago and guess what -- I just ignore them.

I do notice them when I refuel sometimes and they remind me to be careful.

Tony
RV-12 #202 -- Flying
Old 08-12-2012, 09:44 PM

Default Very messed up!

Don't ask ... Don't tell ... it's very messed up ... Very!

Van will issue a new design/material for the rear window in just a couple of days ... Or a couple of weeks .........Or a couple of months .......... Or a couple of years but they will come up with a better design material or location for the filler cap ... Or something ... Just wait and see.

Too bad It won't help me since I am ordering a new "disposable" rear window tomorrow.
VAF #1037
Reserved N124JG for RV-12
"12 for Jerry G.
http://jerryg150rv12.blogspot.com/