What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

cannot reach the pedals

woodsideraff

Well Known Member
I'm 5'6" with short legs. Even though I have placed the seat at the most forward position and have installed the "booster" option for the seats, I was surprised to find out that I can barely reach the pedals.

I fly my RV-8A with the pedals in the full aft position very comfortably. However there is to my knowledge no adjustment for the pedals in the RV-12. I guess I could modify the seats on the 12, but that would put the CG even more forward.

Right now, my only solution is to use a big cushion behind me. I would not be able to use the crotch strap, but that's a minor issue. I sure would like to find a way to bring the pedals closer.

Any short pilots out there with a similar problem? Suggestions?

Thanks and regards,

Rafael

Try looking in the Post Certification Modifications Thread. Somebody made an extended seat back support to move the seat back forward.

fuji051211018.jpg

I put a 2 by 2 behind the top of the seat and the back support I just velcor it then I made a spacer out of Styrofoam 1/2 in and made it fit in the seat back frame then put the sear back on it and it seems to work just wright. :)

We've since modded the seat back support pictured in post #2 and appear to have made some workable bolt-on rudder pedal extensions.

Just back from OSH, give me a day or so and I'll post some more pictures.

Move Seat Forward

I'm working on Section 21-06 would it help to add one more hinge half in front of the other two

I'm Building EAB

That is what I did, I could not reach them either. The hinge half I put about 2 inches in front of the other two, not only does it allow me to have full movement of the rudder pedals, I found that for my oversize belly it is also quite a bit more comfortable for me as well to have the back leaning at more of an angle. Try it you might like it!.

I'm working on Section 21-06 would it help to add one more hinge half in front of the other two

I'm Building EAB

Here below is an idea we have worked on and are awaiting approval for from the UK LAA who oversee non-certified aircraft here. Credits for the design go to one of my co-owners.

I have a drawing showing dimensions but it's a Word document, so doesn't post well here - if anyone wants a copy let me know. Not up to the Van's plans standard, mind!

I have sent the info to Van's in case they are interested in producing them as an option....

Here is 'work in progress' on an extended seat back brace. Final fit (lower pic) has more angle at mid span for added strength. Velcro straps stop brace slipping off the cross beam when you don't want it to.

Last edited:
Adjustable Seats

Thanks Don I will add one more set of holes and I think that I will also add nut plates in all three set of holes. this should be faster to change for different pilot's.

Jerry adding blocks to the peddles may work but are to hard to change for different pilots

I have been thinking about the rudder pedals as well. Why couldn't we put "slack adjusters" on the cables. I don't think it would hurt any thing and it would bring the rudder pedals up closer.

Back