What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Solid Rivet Mil-Specs and Minimums (MIL R-47196A)

mvidalr

Well Known Member
Hello folks,

I had some free time at work today, and as usual, I used that time for research on RV construction.

This time I decided to arrange the MIL-R-47196A "Preparation for and Instalation of Military Specification Rivets, Buck Type" found here:
http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/Specs.htm
(otherwise known as "Hole and Rivet Measurement Minimum Standards" or "Solid Rivet Specifications"
to a beautifully organized, printer friendly PFD document. :eek:

It came to a total of 15 pages, and nothing within its context was changed, so I'd like to stress that it was ONLY re-arranged and stylized because printing directly from the above URL makes the tables and graphics to crop between printed page margins.

I did this so you can print it, three-hole it, and add it to your Construction/Builder's Manual (Specifically Section 5-Construction Material, Processes and Useful Information)

PLEASE NOTE: I am NOT the author of this publication, and therefore cannot be held responsible for the information found on it and/or its use. As I said, I only RE-ARRANGED its contents for a printer friendly version of the original document.
Not a single word, punctuation, image and/or graphic or table was deleted and/or subtracted from its original. You can always print it and cross-compare it to the original on the website.

Please feel free to PM me with the request and an email address to send it.
Also, because it is found on a Public Domain, once you have it, please feel free to print, distribute, copy, redistribute, and use the file as your own liking.

Happy (and safe within specs) riveting!:)

Last edited:
Brian Yablon and myself were the original authors of the document.

Brian redrew the pictures and I sorted out the HTML codes way before any of the present packages were around....:)

It's nice, and somewhat amazing, to see that the document is still in use, and and went viral (way before "viral" was a term) for home built riveters.

Van just stole it....:D

Of course we did not invent it, just took a poor hard copy of a govt. document and made it Internet accessible.

You can find most of this same information, rearranged, in many aircraft repair manuals. I have a couple old manuals I use for reference. The nice thing about them is they go into more detail specific to those airframes which can help visualize what the specs actually mean in practice giving you real examples to compare.
Good stuff, thanks for posting and thanks for the initial efforts Gil.

Back