What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Legacy plans for Van's Aircraft Co. ?

flyboy1963

Well Known Member
I've no doubt this has come up before, but it bears asking again.....Van's is a REAL anomaly among aircraft companies, much less kit suppliers. The average life span is measured more often in months, than years!
I really hope I have my -9a with me in 2032, but where would I buy a new canopy, or wingtip, or flap skin should ( and I will) need something.
surely with 7 or ten thousand flying, there will be vendors who will ( and have) stepped up to supply parts, but do you think Van will pass on the 'type certificate' and rights to manufacture parts to someone in the future?...heck, I think he might like to 'retire' now,!?
Is this a good time for everyone to chip in $1,000 and buy a share in Van's Inc.? to ensure it is kept alive for the next generation of homebuilders, whatever they might look like?

(ooops, accidentally put in classifrieds!)--------Took care of that for you. MJS

Last edited by a moderator:
You're betting on a pretty good horse with Van's.

And if they did vanish tomorrow, people would spring up all over offering "x" and "y"...you could craft it yourself....or the OEM vendor that supplies Van's might just start selling direct. At any stage where you are already pretty highly invested, I'd worry least about it if building an RV vs. about anything else.

Not that its a bad thing to think about. :)

Is Van's a puplicly held company?

Nope.

I've no doubt this has come up before, but it bears asking again.....Van's is a REAL anomaly among aircraft companies, much less kit suppliers. The average life span is measured more often in months, than years!
I really hope I have my -9a with me in 2032, but where would I buy a new canopy, or wingtip, or flap skin should ( and I will) need something.
surely with 7 or ten thousand flying, there will be vendors who will ( and have) stepped up to supply parts, but do you think Van will pass on the 'type certificate' and rights to manufacture parts to someone in the future?...heck, I think he might like to 'retire' now,!?
Is this a good time for everyone to chip in $1,000 and buy a share in Van's Inc.? to ensure it is kept alive for the next generation of homebuilders, whatever they might look like?

(ooops, accidentally put in classifrieds!)--------Took care of that for you. MJS

No it's not a good time!
On the other hand why don't you just send Doug 1000 bucks for the 40 most influential or helpful posters on this site in your opinion!

I understand Ken Krueger has left employment at Vans Aircraft shortly after Oshkosh. Has anyone else heard this?

surely with 7 or ten thousand flying, there will be vendors who will ( and have) stepped up to supply parts.

Shoot, I can still buy virtually every part for my 1946 Aeronca project, and that's a certified airplane where I have to buy parts with the FAA seal of approval. In the experimental market, any vendor can make parts for our airplanes, no approval needed. I don't see parts availablity being an issue for the next 50 years or more.

If that's true, then we need to lower the flag.
Ken is one of the most interesting guys I've met in aviation. I saw him at a fly-in for CTs in MMV, and we chatted for about an hour about what I would fix about the different LSA I had been flying. He was quite interested in my experiences with the planes, despite all his experience and knowledge.

It would be sad to see him leave Vans, but I'm sure there are good challenges wherever he lands.

TODR

I know random speculation is great fun, but they're open on Fridays, has anyone given them a call? :)

- mark

if true it will no doubt come out on their website as a "letter of notice"....pre-dated of course.

Back