What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Training in NC

ccsmith51

Well Known Member
I will be in the Wilksboro, NC, area for a few months. I'd like to look into where I could get a couple of hours upset training and perhaps basic aerobatic training. Can someone recommend anyone within 100 miles that could provide that training?

Thanks,

I am not sure of the distance involved, but Pirrre Smith is somewhere in the area.

At least from a left coast perspective:rolleyes:

Thanks, Mike, but Mr. Pierre is down in Joeja, about a 315 mile drive from where I am. I was hoping to hear about someone in the Charlotte or Greensboro area, farthest. Since MX is based in Wilkeboro I thought I would call them, but also wanted to look for input for VAF.

Take a look at Mikey from acrodynamics at Lake Norman. In addition to the Decathalon he now has a S2 Pitts to instruct in. I am guessing about a one hour drive from where you will be. If you want to just fly for fun in a fast RV6 pm me and I will fly up there one day.
http://acrodynamics.org/

George

Take a look at Mikey from acrodynamics at Lake Norman. In addition to the Decathalon he now has a S2 Pitts to instruct in. I am guessing about a one hour drive from where you will be. If you want to just fly for fun in a fast RV6 pm me and I will fly up there one day.
http://acrodynamics.org/

George

I couldn't agree more! Mike is a great guy too!

Mikey

Thanks for the suggestions. Tomorrow morning I am scheduled for Mike's Upset Spin Recovery course in the Decathalon:

http://acrodynamics.org/courses/upset-spin-recovery

It should be interesting and I'll make a report, assuming I survive!! :D

I have two customer appointments in the afternoon, so I'm bringing a spare change of clothes, just in case!! :eek:

Great flying day!!

Yesterday I spent the morning with Mike at Acro Dynamics. I went for the upset / spin recovery course. We talked for an hour about what I was looking for and what we would do. Then we flew for an hour. We did power on and power off stalls, left and right spin entry and recovery, aileron and barrel rolls, loops, etc. He simulated wake turbulence and got me inverted a number of times and had me recover.

The experience was exhilarating and very beneficial. I am much more confident now that I can recognize the onset of a stall / spin, and recover from it before it happens.

I plan on taking more instruction from Mike, and I highly recommend him to anyone looking for upset recovery or aerobatic instruction.

Chris, if you are still in NC this weekend, Ashe Co Airport (KGEV) in Jefferson is having a Wings and Wheels fly-in Saturday. Check for the hours that the runway will be closed to aircraft.

Also, Asheboro (KHBI) is having a fly-in and open house at the co-located NC Aviation Museum.

Thanks for the update, Noel. I am about 6 air nm from GEV. I kept my Sonex there for a couple of summers a few years ago. I flew it down to the museum at HBI one year when they had a fly-in.

Unfortunately, tomorrow I am taking a flying mailing tube from CLT to LAS on a business trip. I'd much rather spend the day at GEV watching the show and seeing some old friends...

Back