What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N5678C gets a new canopy!

gear1

Well Known Member
5678Cnewcanopy.jpg
While returning from Truckee, CA to Colorado about six weeks ago, N5678C developed a huge canopy crack, starting at the aft canopy bow, right up to the top of the canopy. I knew that I could replace the canopy by myself, but with a brand new grandbaby in California, we needed our transportation back quick! A number of people came forward to help me with the project, and we completed the project in 2 ½ weeks! I would like to publicly thank each of them:
1. Jay Pratt of RV Central (817-439-1220), who agreed to help and guide me through the project so that it would be done correctly. Jay’s experience, teaching ability, tools and supplies helped immensely. Thanks, Jay – you made it possible!
2. Danny King (owner of Beautiful Doll), supplied the idea of using rubber grommets in oversize rivet holes to allow some flex. Hopefully the rubber mounting will extend the life of the canopy. Danny even flew from Northwest Regional to Hicks Field in Fort Worth to help out! Thanks for your support and encouragement, Danny!
3. John Neufeld of Crosslink Powdercoating (972-542-5441) who performed magic by completing the canopy frame powdercoat in record time. I delivered the canopy frame to John at 5:00 PM and he had it ready at 10:00 AM the next morning! Thanks, John for the wonderful service.
4. Bob Avery of Avery Tool (817-439-8400) dropped what he was doing, and made weld repairs on the canopy frame so that I could get the frame to John by 5:00 PM for powdercoat. Thanks Bob!
5. Alex Valdez the resident painter at Aero Country (214-431-2240) corrected my many preparation mistakes, and applied a quality clear coated paint job to the canopy skirt. Thanks, Alex – your patience with me and your quality work is greatly appreciated!

These guys are all wonderful, selfless contributors to the RV community. We are very lucky to have them!

Last edited:
That looks great Craig! You had a great team of folks helping.

We're (finally) getting ready to replace the canopy on the Val in the next few weeks - Ours cracked almost a year and a half ago, and the new canopy has been sitting in the garage nearly as long (due to our needing to get the RV-3 through the shop). Now I'd like to get it looking pretty for Oshkosh, so we might have to get Danny down here for a weekend.

Thanks, Paul

Thanks, Paul, for the kind words. I agree, it would be a great help to have Danny there to assist. He knows what he is doing!

Back