What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Eclipse over the Prairie

petehowell

Well Known Member
The clouds cleared and winds died, so I thought it might be cool to get some aerial shots of the sunset eclipse......Very interesting view from 3300ft!

IMG_8071.JPG

IMG_8087.JPG

IMG_8103.JPG

IMG_8106.JPG

IMG_8110.JPG

IMG_8115.JPG

IMG_8123.JPG

IMG_8142.JPG

Beautiful! We were on the ground, with pinholes in file folders and with crescent-shaped dapples...and we heard a plane overhead and wondered what it might look like up there.

Thanks for the photos!

Thanks!!

Pete, did you use any kind of filter on the lense??

Great shots, quite different perspective from "up there"

No filter

Thanks for the kind comments, guys.

I just used the 70-200mm on the Digital Rebel. The only "filter" is the extra distance the light travels thru the atmosphere when the sun is flat on the horizon. I did play with many manual settings (and trashed about 50% of the pics) to get some keepers.

It was a beautiful night to fly............

Pete - you rat, I knew if I didn't go out, you would! You just wanted to hog the eclipse sunset! Great pictures, really cool.

Path of Totality...

This is RV related... Honest! I flew my RV-6 from my home in northern Oregon down to the southern end of the state (Grants Pass/3S8) to intercept the northern edge of the path of totality on Sunday. The overcast skies of the northern part of the state gave way to partly cloudy skies down south, perfect for eclipse viewing... Until totality came around. A pesky cloud appeared and threatened to obscure it, but it wasn't totally successful allowing us to experience the event... :)

Below are the results of the trip. A very cool astronomical event to see! The next one scheduled for 2017 will go right over my house so it won't require an RV ride unless it's to escape the weather again...:rolleyes:

Eclipse1.jpg

Eclipse2.jpg

Eclipse3.jpg

Oh, and I had tailwinds both ways... Honest!:cool:

Back