What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Long Island, NY

Vlad

Well Known Member
Our area is congested both on the ground and in the air. But if you take off early Saturday morning you might get smooth air, light traffic, pleasant and relaxed controllers and great views of Long Island. This was from yesterday.

1.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

90% RVators know what airport it is

5.jpg

Connecticut shoreline at a distance.

4.jpg

Soft winger landed.

6.jpg

Big Guy in the Sky with heavy German accent.

8.jpg

Coney Island.

9.jpg

Regata.

10.jpg

Beautiful

I was assigned to cover Sperry at Great Neck but my main responsibility was in West Caldwell, NJ for 6 or 7 months in 1972. I would visit Sperry about once a week or on demand and I made a point of exploring every route to get there, every bridge and tunnel. I recognize the mansion but not the airport. It probably looked quite different at one time. I'm thinking it must be historic like where Lindbergh took off from in May of 1927 but if so the runway was unpaved and it was not tightly surrounded by trees. Is it Roosevelt Field? I feel like it is cheating to look it up.

Well, I looked it up and of course I was wrong. I understand your clue. I'll not give it up since I didn't earn the right.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Hi Vlad, I was pulling in to Sky Manor airport today to visit with some friends and look at some RV8's. You just took off and they said there goes Vlad, I then put 2&2 together. Not to may Vlad's in RV's that live in NYC

Trey

Hey Trey I wasn't anywere close to airport today I got stuck here :)

48ed79ab.jpg

Yesterday I had some fun. Put almost 5 hours of high quality x-country on my 9. How is your progress?

overLI.jpg

Someone said that with Mattituck's closing, the airport would probably be converted into a subdivision. Is that already in the works or just somebody's guess? Anybody giving any thought to converting the Mattituck airport into a residential airpark? If it's done right, it could be very nice.

My dream had been to attend an engine workshop at Mattituck and take the wife into the City to see a couple of Broadway shows. It would have been a memorable trip, but now it won't happen. :-(

I was assigned to cover Sperry at Great Neck but my main responsibility was in West Caldwell, NJ for 6 or 7 months in 1972. I would visit Sperry about once a week or on demand and I made a point of exploring every route to get there, every bridge and tunnel. I recognize the mansion but not the airport. It probably looked quite different at one time. I'm thinking it must be historic like where Lindbergh took off from in May of 1927 but if so the runway was unpaved and it was not tightly surrounded by trees. Is it Roosevelt Field? I feel like it is cheating to look it up.

Well, I looked it up and of course I was wrong. I understand your clue. I'll not give it up since I didn't earn the right.

Bob Axsom

Bob were you in gyroscopic business back then? Great Neck is a beautiful area a friend of mine lives there. I will get you great pictures of the factory some day. It's within Bravo but I get a negotiator. If he could fly formation with 747 he gets the clearance :).

1.jpg

Maybe an Airpark at Matituck

Someone said that with Mattituck's closing, the airport would probably be converted into a subdivision. Is that already in the works or just somebody's guess? Anybody giving any thought to converting the Mattituck airport into a residential airpark? If it's done right, it could be very nice.

My dream had been to attend an engine workshop at Mattituck and take the wife into the City to see a couple of Broadway shows. It would have been a memorable trip, but now it won't happen. :-(

As a property owner in a nearby town I wrote that someone will want to build homes or condos on the airbase. However, the vacant property to the sides of the runway lend itself to be used as an airpark. Pricey real estate for sure but hey, you never know. Click on the magnifying glass for an aerial photo. http://maps.google.com/maps/place?f...ed=0CAwQ-gswAA&sa=X&ei=x9-6T56KOZHh8QaL9KDPBg

The writing was on the wall when the founder of the airport and business, Parker Wickham, passed away a year ago at the age of NINETY. A truly unique guy who had a collection of one of a kind automobiles in a building that was never locked. Anyone could walk in any time. I know because I would bring friends in at 6AM. Just shut the lights on the way out. I have attached the link to his life's story. Definitely worth the five minutes to read. Enjoy!
http://suffolktimes.timesreview.com/2011/04/11929/friends-family-remember-one-of-mattitucks-finest/

Last edited:
No plans for a subdivison at the airport, that I am aware of. Parker who started the business in 1946, had no affiliation with it for the last 20-30 years, other then living across the street and having the car museum on the property and being a friend of all who wroked there. He was a great guy and had a true passion for aviation and things mechanical. He is likely rolling over in his grave given the recent events at the airport. I am actually glad he wasn't around to see it close. It would have been extremly distressing to him.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
P.S. That chart of you flight with the outline of your trip looks like the graphic of what Long Island could have been was durring the glacier times.:)

Back