What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

For the curious - "What an RV-8 with an O320 is like"

humptybump

Well Known Member
I've received several PM's and emails asking about my RV-8. They all inquiries as to what it's like to fly and RV-8 with just a 150hp O320 and a fixed pitch propeller. I'm happy to field emails and messages but I also wanted to give the information a more permanent presence. So here goes ...

I preface all of this with "I a buyer not a builder" but add "it's exactly the airplane I wanted" and "I am very happy with the RV-8 150hp FP as a fun and economical cross country airplane".

Does the RV-8 perform OK at this low end of the engine options?
Yes. As many members of VAF have pointed out, the speed:fuel ratio is pretty consistent. Thus, the O320 pumping out 150hp burns about the same fuel and goes about the same as a bigger engine throttled back to output 150hp. Of course, there are other considerations such as electronic ignition vs mags, quality of the air frame, etc. but within the margin of error, its works out to be the same. Of course, as others have noted, if you are at the limits of the O320, there is no "go faster" lever.

What kind of speeds are you getting ?
Speed is a factor of engine power, propeller efficiency, air frame drag, and more. Right now, my RV-8 has a Aymar-DeMuth 68-71 wood propeller. A recent test showed 2250 RPM static and 161.5 kts TAS (GPS box calculation) at 8000' DA. I hardly ever fly WOT. I cross county up high (10,500' / 11,500') if the winds allow. At those altitudes, I get 145 kts TAS burning about 7.5 gph. As I said before, at those numbers, there is no "go faster" lever.

Update: For most cross country flying I throttle to 2450 rpm and 140kts at perhaps 7gps when I'm in the 3500' to 7500' altitudes.

Just an FYI - I am in the process of changing propellers to a Catto design and Craig is hoping (not guaranteeing) to improve on those numbers slightly. The propeller change was not motivated by speed, rather the fact the wood prop has no tolerance for rain.

Update: my Catto with nickel edges is pitched far into the cruise profile. My static is only 2050 rpm. It added a little to the WOT speed.

What about climb rate ?
My initial climb is always "short field" but once I am above 600' and establish best climb, I can rely on 1200 fpm steady climb (I'm not rock solid on the controls so it really varies from 800 fps to 1500 fpm).

Does it handle acro ok with the 150 and FP?
I have done very little aerobatics in the RV-8. The builder, during phase 2, did rolls, loops, stalls, and spins. (I did not buy the RV-8 as an aerobatic platform. For aerobatics, my preference is a larger engine, constant speed propeller, inverted fuel and oil, and a symmetrical wing.)

Do you wish you had put a different engine and prop on the 8?
I repeatedly tell the original builder that he built the perfect airplane for me :) My RV-8 is just what I want. It's a pleasure to fly. Economical. Good useful load. Great on grass and short strips. It's a great looking airplane too (although that has nothing to do with the engine choice.)

Update: after 5 years with the plane I would say there are a few days a year when it's warm and the winds are not idea where I'd like a little more "go" when taking off on a short (1900') grass runway. More "go" could be achieved with a FP propeller pitched a bit more to climb, a CS propeller, or some more hp.

Any other comments ?
Building an RV-8 with a basic O320 and wood fixed pitch propeller yields a different airplane than one with a larger engine and a constant speed propeller. While builders of the latter often need to adjust for a nose heavy configuration, the carbureted O320 and wood propeller has the opposite challenge - it is nose light. My airplane has the battery on the firewall and a 12lb inertia ring on the hub.

Update: I've since removed the inertia ring and moved my constant cargo (canopy cover, flight bad, and small tool bag) to the forward baggage area. My goal has been to remove dead weight. It hasn't affected the starting performance but I am more careful at low idle (590 rpm).

If there are other RV-8's flying with the O320 (especially if they also have a fixed pitch propeller) it would be great to add to this thread. My goal in posting this was not to start a new thread on who's engine is bigger; rather, to archive some useful data for buildings considering using the O320 with a fixed pitch propeller and looking for first hand data.

Last edited:

During my build, I was talking to one of the guys at Van's about some technical problem. I happened to ask about what engine they recommended for the RV-8, the O-320 or the O-360. After talking about both, what I remember most about the conversation was his reply---"a 150hp RV-8 is NOT an underpowered airplane".

You guys got quite a match. The same power but polar paint schemes. One is US Navy and the other Mig3 from the same time. You should get together at 42VA one of those days ;)

I had a 150 Hp in mine. Not a FP prop, but rather a Hartzell CS prop. I did acro, flew formation, the whole 9 yards. The airplane was fantastic. I used to get about 149 to 154 kts IAS or 169 to 174 TAS at 8000'. I never had any trouble keeping up with anybody, except in formation climb, then I had to ask him to back off slightly, but "only" slightly.Short field grass strips--no problem.:)

You guys got quite a match. The same power but polar paint schemes. One is US Navy and the other Mig3 from the same time. You should get together at 42VA one of those days ;)

Guys: I ended up with an IO-360. Found a deal that I couldn't turn down while building. I had an O-320 on hand that I was going to use, but when this deal showed up I had to jump on it. If it hadn't shown up, I'd be flying behind an O-320 now.

I hope to get up your way soon. You're both (anyone else, for that matter) welcome here at X59, Valkaria Airport, FL. just south of Melborne.

You're both (anyone else, for that matter) welcome here at X59, Valkaria Airport, FL. just south of Melborne.

I was this close to you Mannan. Saw your email too late otherwise would stop by.

valkariax59.jpg

Talk to Both Stein and Jay Pratt, both have flown a number of different RV's, including light, O-320 powered RV-8's.

They have a lot of insight into this combination in comparison to other RV's.

RV8 150hp

I built a RV8 with a 0-320E2D in 1999 with a wood prop. It was a different airplane than the 'Borrowed Horse' I fly now. RV8 180 Hartizell prop.
The lighter plane was super fun. I flew it off grass. I really miss that plane. It was simple and enexpensive to fly. Not under powered.

I built a RV8 with a 0-320E2D in 1999 with a wood prop. It was a different airplane than the 'Borrowed Horse' I fly now. RV8 180 Hartizell prop.
The lighter plane was super fun. I flew it off grass. I really miss that plane. It was simple and enexpensive to fly. Not under powered.

Thank you for the information, Jay.

I've been thinking 0320 vrs 0360 and have about concluded the only real down side of the 0320 is RV-8 resale value. Performance degradation is minimal but resale value may be significant.

There sure are more used 0320's available than 0360's and the cost is less.

New, it is a wash item. The experimental 0360 costs $400 more than the 0320 at Vans.

Close

I was this close to you Mannan. Saw your email too late otherwise would stop by.

valkariax59.jpg

Next time Vlad. I was probably "telling lies" with some of the regulars somewhere in those hangars at the bottom of the airport boundary.

I've received several PM's and emails asking about my RV-8. They all inquiries as to what it's like to fly and RV-8 with just a 150hp O320 and a fixed pitch propeller. I'm happy to field emails and messages but I also wanted to give the information a more permanent presence. So here goes ...

Thanks for putting this together. This is really helpful in my own decision process.

320/FP

I fly with a 320... well sort of, started off as a 320 platform in my 7A, have droolers visiting all the time trying to uncover all my secrets. :D

Marginal Performance

I built 81243 and put an old Tripacer O-320-nothing on the nose. Then added an Aymar Demuth 68-74 wood prop. The performance was good, but the airplane was tail heavy (nose light?) so I changed to a Sensenich 70-80 for the weight and hopefully better performance. The W&B was better, but the performance was worse. Static was 1950 and made TO less than stellar. Talking with some engine folks it seemed the earliest 320 was closer to 145 HP (?) don't know that for sure, but I do know that putting any load on the airplane seemed to load down the engine fast.

After lots of conversation with engine, prop and RV folks the real issue was not as much the engine as it was the prop. I think 150/160 would work fine if you can get to the Horsepower...ie constant speed prop. 1950 RPM static is getting about how many HP? 90ish?

Like many folks I used what I had and saved to get a fixed pitch prop. Now I ponder finding a hollow crank O-320-A1A 160 HP and starting my search for a C/S prop and hub. Open for suggestions.

You can not beat an RV airplane,

I built 81243 and put an old Tripacer O-320-nothing on the nose. Then added an Aymar Demuth 68-74 wood prop. The performance was good, but the airplane was tail heavy (nose light?) so I changed to a Sensenich 70-80 for the weight and hopefully better performance. The W&B was better, but the performance was worse. Static was 1950 and made TO less than stellar. Talking with some engine folks it seemed the earliest 320 was closer to 145 HP (?) don't know that for sure, but I do know that putting any load on the airplane seemed to load down the engine fast.

After lots of conversation with engine, prop and RV folks the real issue was not as much the engine as it was the prop. I think 150/160 would work fine if you can get to the Horsepower...ie constant speed prop. 1950 RPM static is getting about how many HP? 90ish?

Like many folks I used what I had and saved to get a fixed pitch prop. Now I ponder finding a hollow crank O-320-A1A 160 HP and starting my search for a C/S prop and hub. Open for suggestions.

You can not beat an RV airplane,

Yes, 80" pitch is too much Sensenich for an O-320 that isn't 160hp. You can have the prop repitched by Sensenich at a very reasonable cost. I suggest 77", this should bring static up to about ~2200 and give you a good combination of climb and cruise.

I have 80" on my 160hp RV-6 and see 2270 rpm at rotation. It is definitely a cruise prop but climb is more than satisfactory.

Intersting that you had a 68-74 and I have a 68-71. My performance is good (but perhaps not 100%). My airplane has an inertia ring (and battery at the firewall) that does a good job at setting the empty CG.

Looks like the Sensenich at 70-80 was too much pitch for 150hp.

Questionable performance

I live in Eastern Colorado and fly a RV7A with O320 150 horse. Sensenich prop 77 pitch. My climb rate at my home field (3400 ft) is about 800 fpm. When I reach 8000 the climb rate drops to 400 fpm maintaining 80 knots. I am trying to determine if I can do any better either by re-pitching the prop or maybe going to a wood prop. My indicated airspeed is 145 knots.

Enter the AirVenture Cup Race RV Red class

Win class, enjoy the camaraderie, get prestigious little black trophy and all the glory (currently there are NO RV Red entries - RV Red = any RV with a 320 cu. in. displacement engine). ref. www.airventurecup.com.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Back