What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

engine ears

aturner

Well Known Member
Well, I was primed today to mount the engine, but ran into a snag. I knew I had to change out my large-hole engine mounting ears for small hole ears, but I had purchased those some time ago and had them in storage. Problem is, my small hole mounts have short guide pins on the bottom, but my engine case is not machined to accept them:
DSC_5001.jpg

old mount on left, new on right. So, what happened here? The new, small hole mounts have the part number 70456 cast onto them, and then have 71047 stamped on the other side. Should I just spring for the new AERO mounts, or do those have studs too? I guess I don't know for sure if it is my ears that are weird, or my engine case. ???? Should I just yank those little buggers out?

Last edited:
Don't know the right answer

I am not yet flying and hope someone will respond with the "right" answer, but I just ground the pins off with a grinder.

The used parts house I bought mine from said that it would be fine.

alingment holes

used to be machined in the cases on some of the earlier crankcases. The pins are a real booger to remove but a good pair of small vise grips will usually remove them. chuck the mount ears in a vise (Aluminum jaws here), clamp as tight as you can on the pin. Using a flat tip screwdriver, gently rotate the pin and use the screw driver to put outward pressure under the vise grips. if it doesn't budge and gets chewed up, grind the pin down.

Allen

Thanks Allen, I tried your method, with a new pair of vice grips, and with some careful persuasion they came out.

Last edited:
Andy

I am nou ready to install my engine on my RV10 and while searching for ears came to your message.

Can you perhaps advese me on where to get 70456 ears with the small hole, I bought an engine, but the previous owner kept the ears.

Regards
Gielie

Gielie, if you go new, you can pick them up from AERO, an advertiser here. They are a bit pricy. If you want used, the usual suspects carry them - salvage yards, engine rebuilders, and ebay. Good luck, hanging the engine is exciting.

Back