What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seal/Material for Enclosed Door Hinges?

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
For those of you that have closed out your door hinges (usually those using the McMaster Carr door seals) as shown below, have you done anything to protect against water pooling inside these "compartments"? I'm wondering if rain/water will get through to this and when the door is opened, the geometry of the opening seems it would make a direct run for the cabin interior.

I'm wondering if a closed sell neophreme or some other material that is removable for maintenance could be cut or formed and slid into these pockets to keep the water from pooling. So is the water an issue and what have others done to prevent the problem?

WP_001109.jpg

Nope

I didn't do anything. Every time you open the door, anything that might be in there will fall out anyway. I haven't flown much in the rain yet, but I can't believe much if any water will accumulate in there unless it's maybe sitting on the ramp in a rain storm. Even then, the way the pockets sit, they aren't likely to get anything in them. You might have some water sitting on the door jams, but it should run down the sides and out.

I just covered the area just like it appears you are doing. I am hoping that if water accumulates it would just run down the roof or the jam when it rains. I thought about using some silicon baffle material and making a small gasket to fit around the hinge and gluing it in place.

IMG_1323.jpg

Last edited:
Back