What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Aileron leading edge skin

Av8torTom

Well Known Member
When building my RV9 ailerons, I found it a real challenge to bring together the top of the leading edge skin to the aileron spar. I solved this problem with a ratchet strap under the work bench and up over the aileron.

6e5ea518.jpg

I used a piece of 2x2 steel tube stock to weigh down the aileron which also made a convenient place for the ratchet mechanism to sit on (and not scratch or dent the top skin). The steel bar also assured everything came out nice and flat and true. I can't tell you how much easier this makes things. I used the strap to final drill the rivet holes, and then again to cleco everything back together for riveting.

Good trick Tom

Beats mine.The flaps on 9 are long and need a lot of weight to keep skin down. I could not figure out anything better then this

flaps.jpg

flap weight

Hey Tom, nice work, dont you just love inventing things to make your build go better. Part of what I like most about the build process. Got a good one for you for clamping/glueing the canopy to the side rails when your ready.

Back