What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A bungalow in Maine

It was a great run CJ! Mighty cold but great. Nearly froze my rear. Rangeley has it's own micro climate for sure.

Rangeley%20-%201%206.jpg

Rangeley%20-%201%204.jpg

Long way to hitch hike

Dang. My RV is still on the LEFT coast and won't be back in time. Next time Captain. See you and the Ruski soon!

Cheers,

Dan

Right now interested parties include Steve and Evelyn, Russki and guest... Top Gun... are you in?

Let's do it!!! Come on up! How about it Governor???

I have ten beds. Let's fill them up!

:) CJ

Yes, hopefully this year we will have cooperative weather!

I plan on arriving sometime in the AM, perhaps around 9 or 10am and staying through lunch or later. I do have a hangar at 8B0, Bean Municipal for maintenance if needed complete with a Red Dragon preheater and ground transportation.

If my house isn't rented, we might have a place to stay also. Shoot me a PM or text if you are interested in spending the night either Friday or Saturday and I will coordinate.

I have room for a second RVin my hangar. That will be first come, first serve.

Sould be a fun time on the ice!

See you all there!

;) CJ

Bald Mountain Camp 2019 Fly In

They had THREE runways this year. Two plowed ice and one packed snow. There was a Burning Man like circle in the middle. Cool view from the above.

I took the longest runway. It was lined up with wind nicely. Traction was satisfactory. Back taxi took 10 minutes.

About a dozen planes showed up mostly local. All either on skis or bushwheels. I looked funny.

Our friendly host Steve.

The restaurant was packed.

I didn't stay long. Flash Mob Squadron couldn't make it.

See you all February 2020! Ottawa next!

I plan on heading up there tomorrow if anyone is going to be around. I should arrive sometime around noon time. Plan on having lunch and then heading back home. Show me a personal message or meet me on guns frequency in the morning.

Cool!

Mike, I might be able to leverage us a seaplane! I have a friend of mine who lost his medical and needs me to exercise it for him once in a while. If he still owns it, we could have some fun hopping around the lakes!

;) CJ

Cool!

Mike, I might be able to leverage us a seaplane! I have a friend of mine who lost his medical and needs me to exercise it for him once in a while. If he still owns it, we could have some fun hopping around the lakes!

;) CJ
Hi Capt John,

That sounds interesting! All the floatplanes around me up here, never been in one.

Heading to work in a few, using the welding demonstration tools to spoolgun an aluminum passenger that will ride in the empty right seat. (20+ gallon size). Easiest answer to higher speed and still have nice range between fuel stops.

Notice you said seaplane, Goose, Duck, Seabee or?

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Just Read Whole Thread

Wow, just read this whole thread, taking time away from my project, it was worth every minute. Fantastic Photos, looks like lots of fun in winter.

Vlad and everybody, Thank You for sharing your stories and photos!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Hi Capt John,

That sounds interesting! All the floatplanes around me up here, never been in one.

Notice you said seaplane, Goose, Duck, Seabee or?

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Mike, it is a Cessna. But a really nice one! It is a Cessna 175 and they took out the GO geared motor and put in a 6 cylinder with a constant speed prop. It really jumps off the water!

I'm looking forward to seeing your extended-range tank! Sounds like that is just the ticket for doing some nice long legs and running solo.

Mike, it is a Cessna. But a really nice one! It is a Cessna 175 and they took out the GO geared motor and put in a 6 cylinder with a constant speed prop. It really jumps off the water!

I'm looking forward to seeing your extended-range tank! Sounds like that is just the ticket for doing some nice long legs and running solo.

Might have to hide it from view.

Learning how to weld .063" aluminum using a spoolgun that says minimum is .094", is rather a challenge. Can't move fast enough. Finally have to give up on the whip and stack dimes process. Now process is what ever works and move fast, don't stop, grind and do it all over again.

Goal is to have no leaks on first test, so I'm laying it in thick. Three sides are done, forth is tacked and today will get the bottom added.

Waiting on 2" weldable aluminum bung to get here, filler opening. Plan is to weld it to the top before installing the top.

Time to go see what todays freezing fog is like to drive in. On top of black ice roads. Wonder how far down the windshield the freezing rain is going to go. Yesterday was over 2/3 covered with ice. Defrost was not keeping up.

Sounds like the C175 flew to get my Tail Wheel endorsement. Converted to a taildragger, 180hp with constant speed and STOL. Instructor landed in 40' total with 25mph headwind. Take-Off was even shorter.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Last edited:
We had a great time heading up to Maine yesterday. The weather was absolutely perfect! We had 3 RVs and 1 Maule. The conditions on the lake were great as you can see from this video.

https://youtu.be/4QI8xNgPS7g

Alfio and Shirley came down from Ottawa, Charlie flew in from Connecticut, Kevin and I came in formation from Massachusetts.

I think Kevin is going to upload some more pictures to this thread soon.

The Russian sends his regrets. Contrary to popular belief he tells me that occasionally duty calls and he has to work! He wouldn't lie about something as serious as missing an opportunity to land on the ice so I am compelled to believe him! LOL

:cool: CJ

A wonderful day for a meetup. Thanks for the invite CJ.

2gfCwVv.jpg

Getting ready for departure from Carp airport (Ottawa) to meet CBP officers at Ogdensburg. They always greet us with a smile.

5wFkbqY.jpg

Crossing lake Champlain in Vermont

CGOGOOt.jpg

dbL3QC6.jpg

OQd4lhq.jpg

O6G6Qf5.jpg

Arrival at Bald Mountain Camps Resort, Oquossoc, ME (near Rangeley)

KXXCt4Z.jpg

On the left, our host/owner/ice-airport-controller Stephen Philbrick of BMC. Many thanks. Also a Super Cub owner/pilot with a great sense of humor.

A0LGG5A.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job with the pictures guys!

Great to see you again. This was a fun day.

Maybe weather next year will be as good and we can do it again?

:cool: CJ

Charlie, too bad you had to leave early. We took the Jeep for a nice ride around town. There was a winter festival going on. Lots of people in town for "Winterpalooza"!

See you again soon!

Beautiful!

Except for all the cold, white stuff. Love the photos of the Moose. I hope the gun was to scare bears away. Looks like a wonderful place for a fly-in - IN SUMMER :)
Thanks for sharing.... and ya know there are these places called grocery stores... ;)

On the "places to go" list

This kind of stuff is great inspiration for me to keep building. Was there any possibility of running an extension cord out for some preheating?

I am not sure if I had mentioned this before, but my house, hangar and Jeep are available for rent. I have an agent who handles the house, linens, payment and keys. The house will sleep 3-4 couples easily.

Here is a link to my youtube video describing the accommodations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ql8EtPkeI

Here is another video describing the town:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tgEqkE6QQc

You can deal directly through me for the hangar and Jeep. Shoot me a PM if you are interested. I have dealt with several VAF'ers already and they love it there!

Back