What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A.S.A Wheel Bearing Mod Video Up

Nice. I hadn't previously realized the new bearings were maintenance free. I also didn't realize that you actually trim the tire to true it up. With so many people experiencing nose wheel shimmy, this should really be the standard set up with Vans kits

Erich

This needs to be done on the mains also.

My tail dragger has the same problems with the mains. The bearings are not a big issue with the mains. You can properly tighten them, but those bearing would be nice. It would eliminate the the mains shaking. The only other thing needed for the mains would be truing the rotor.

A.S.A. wheel bearing mod:

Alan; I have installed nose job mod and skid on my 7A. Both very satisfactory. Good material and good result. Also very easy to install. Now the question is what is the cost (less S&H) for the wheel bearing modification. Also does it use ball or roller bearings?

Alan; I have installed nose job mod and skid on my 7A. Both very satisfactory. Good material and good result. Also very easy to install. Now the question is what is the cost (less S&H) for the wheel bearing modification. Also does it use ball or roller bearings?

....Wheel mod bearings are heavy duty service double sealed ball bearings. Cost of the mod is $210 and normal turn around is only one or two days. Thanks, Allan...:D

Nice work and very interested. I have been trying to balance my nosewheel for some time using crude methods, ie spinning by hand and guessing weight location. It gets tiresome. Right now, i have it so it vibrates within a narrow 30 to 35kt speed range. Thus, if i brake thru it quickly, the vibration lasts for just a second or two. It sure would be nice to get rid of it completely. Most recently, i noticed that the wheel was out of round like mentioned in the video, and thus, balance weights alone probably would never fix the issue completely.

Anyway, great work and thanks for sharing!

Jae

Grove nose wheel

I have a Grove magnesium nose wheel, can this mod be accomplished on this wheel? Wonder if the magnesium would present a problem. I am sure there are others with this wheel. I have not flown yet and have heard good things with regards to the Grove axle wheel system but I like the idea of getting an even smoother ride and maintenance free bearings.

Cheers

Mag Wheel!

I have a Grove magnesium nose wheel, can this mod be accomplished on this wheel? Wonder if the magnesium would present a problem. I am sure there are others with this wheel. I have not flown yet and have heard good things with regards to the Grove axle wheel system but I like the idea of getting an even smoother ride and maintenance free bearings.

Cheers

...The grove wheel is no problem, we have done several already. Thank you for the question. Allan...:D

Had it done

I received my Grove nose wheel back from Allan a little over a week ago. It's been nicely trimmed, balanced and spins beautifully. I have yet to fly with it, but we are installing the gear and engine this week and I now have one less thing to worry about. As far as turn around. East coast to west and back, less then a week. Thanks Allan

I've been pleased with my wheel bearing mod and balance from Allan. When flying close to a friend last week he said that my nose wheel was actually spinning in flight a little. That's how easy it turns now. That's with the wheel pant on and the axle bolt tightened down pretty good.

Grove stem outlet

I received my Grove nose wheel back from Allan a little over a week ago. It's been nicely trimmed, balanced and spins beautifully. I have yet to fly with it, but we are installing the gear and engine this week and I now have one less thing to worry about. As far as turn around. East coast to west and back, less then a week. Thanks Allan

Peter,

Did you see if they could rework the valve stem outlet issue with the Grove wheel? Just wonder if I could kill two birds by getting this mod done.

Relocate hole!!!!

Peter,

...Did you see if they could rework the valve stem outlet issue with the Grove wheel? Just wonder if I could kill two birds by getting this mod done.

I see no problem with us moving the hole on most any of the wheels. Thanks, Allan ..:D

Back