What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Workshop nears completion!!

tkatc

Well Known Member
I am tooling up to order the -8 emp and figure I should have the workshop in order before I do. I had been neglecting my garage for the past 5-6 years now and as I finished any project around the house I would just dump whatver tools I had gathered onto the huge workbench. There was zero organization and the floor had seen better days. My wife and I hit the garage hard and the garbage man was not too happy with us. We must have had 20 bags of garbage out at the curb.

The harbor frieght tool box will be handy once I get it sorted. I am cutting foam for each tool and it is long and tedious. I also painted the floor and we ordered EXPENSIVE insulated garage doors that come next week. I already had the lighting in place and I had plumbed galvanized pipe for air. A number of years ago I insulated and drywalled (although I did not know what I was doing it is acceptable for a garage) I got a second hand gas heater from a friend and installed that some years ago as well.

This week I got some lumber and started building the EAA 1000 work benches. I am just about finished one of them. Complete with locking casters from my new favorite store, Harbor Freight!! :D

photo1.jpg

Installed a new fridge too!!
photo2.jpg

Definately equipped to handle whover comes over to help!!
photo4.jpg

EAA 1000!!
photo5.jpg

Sorry about the crappy pics, the iphone is only so good.

I still need that DRDT-2!!

Tony, Harp, Guiness, #9... gwet some Harpoon and you have got a rivet partner!

Looks good!

My -7 will be done by the time you are onto your wings! Order up!!!

Fly up to 8B0 this weekend! We will be up there! Bring your cousin!

:) CJ

You are definitely insane, but the refrigerator looks nice. Good luck, but you know this is going to cut into your flying time, right?

You know it is quite easy to cut rigid insulation foam and insert it into the garage doors you already have.

No sense buying new ones unless there is some problem with your doors besides not being insulated.

Save some $$$ ----- you are going to need to buy a lot of beer in the next couple years;)

If we had a "show us your beer fridge" contest, you would surely win. If you stocked it to entice helpers, mission accomplished. I'll be booking my flight today.

I second Mike's suggestion of high density foam board - great stuff. IF you want it to be relatively permanent, an easy way to install it is with a can of liquid foam - use it like calking glue.

... my shop looks down right ugly compared to yours (and I have no fridge) !

Cutting foam

We laid our tools out the way we wanted them stored in the drawers and took pictures of them. We then used the software in our laser sign cutter to digitize the images and cut the foam. Still a fair amount of work to do. If you save the files you can cut replacement foam in the future if you need to. Our foam still looks like new after about four years.
One trick we used in the past when cutting foam by hand with a razor blade was to freeze the foam first. Depending on the type of foam it is, this can help you achieve a much smoother cut.

What did you use to seal your floor with? It looks great!

David

Now you went public I withdraw my skepticism

The shop is OK. Liquids in the fridge are what matters the most. Where is Phillies TV? You might not be able to visit the games for couple years :D

I will gladly take all the help that comes my way!! Fridge will always be stocked and if you have a preference I can make it happen!!

The insulation on the doors is an option for most but my doors are over 12 years old and they are very cheap contractor style doors that need replacing anyway. Besides all that, I have to keep the wife happy and she really loves the carriage house style doors we ordered.

David, the foam is really overkill but I will enjoy it once it is done. I might try that tip about freezing the foam first. I was thinking I might try a soldering iron to smooth out any rough edges but not sure how that would work out.

As for the floor, I used the Quikrete Garage Epoxy kit. I first did the floor about 6 years ago but let my brother use the garage to do a few engine swaps and he ruined the floor with grease, oil, heavy equip, etc. He re-did it for me with some high strength floor paint but it was never really right. So I did it again with the Quikrete. I opted not to use the flakes because I want to be able to find those small dropped rivets.

Vlad, I have a TV ready to go but have to figure out the best way to run coax to the garage. I need you to come down and help me figure out the dimpling table and/or carpeting the table tops. I am not sure what to expect.

And Glen, I will trade you my garage for your hangar ANYDAY!!

The insulation on the doors is an option for most but my doors are over 12 years old and they are very cheap contractor style doors that need replacing anyway. Besides all that, I have to keep the wife happy and she really loves the carriage house style doors we ordered.

Like Pierre says, "if mama aint happy, aint nobody happy"

Sounds like you made the right choice:D

Vlad, I have a TV ready to go but have to figure out the best way to run coax to the garage.

Great looking garage! I'm jealous of that floor.

The only thing I don't see is a computer. It's really handy not having to run in the house to look something up on VAF. I killed 2 birds with one stone by using a 32" LCD as a monitor. TV and PC!
P1010553.JPG

One trick we used in the past when cutting foam by hand with a razor blade was to freeze the foam first. Depending on the type of foam it is, this can help you achieve a much smoother cut.

David

Great idea! Where were you when I needed you? :p Wish I'd known that while I was still in the USAF. Cut tons of foam for LOTS of toolboxes. All we ever did was have a whole bunch of razor blades handy as that high quality government foam dulled Uncle Sam's cheapo blades pretty quick. :D

On a side note, shop looks great wish my garage was half that nice. Hey, wasn't there a "Show us your shop" thread a while back? I'm sure there were lots of cases of shop envy from that one!

Last edited:
"The harbor frieght tool box will be handy once I get it sorted. I am cutting foam for each tool and it is long and tedious. "

Instead of cutting foam, consider using expanding foam and get an exact fit for each tool at the same time. I think there is a VAF link you can search for, but the process is basically the following:

1. Lay a piece of Saran wrap in the bottom of your drawer, or make a simple form of the same dimensions.
2. Lay your tools on the Saran in mirror image of what you want them to be.
3. Put a second layer of Saran on top of the tools.
4. Spray expanding foam(Great Stuff works well) on top of the Saran.
5. Put a piece of plywood or similar on top of the foam to help force the foam around the tools. Use another layer of Saran to keep the wood from sticking to the foam.
6. After the foam cures, flip everything over and remove your tools and the Saran and plywood. You will have a form fitted piece that exactly fits your tools.

Jim Berry
RV-10

Nice workspace Tweety! I'm not too far behind you. I'll be ordering my -7A emp & wing kits in a couple weeks! I look forward to watching your progress!:D

Thanks Drillbit! I figured you'd be halfway done the emp by now. :rolleyes: I will be headed out to Cali next weekend, San Fran area though.

I printed out the order forms tonight, just have to fill it out and fax!

Another way to do foam is to get some that's thinner than you want, from a place like www.uline.com, and lay a single layer down. Then get a second layer, cut the outlines all the way through this one, and use spray glue to glue it to the first layer.

Uline's rolls are plenty generous for this. Overly so - you might want to get with some friends to share a roll.

Dave

No organization here!

Another way to do foam is to get some that's thinner than you want, from a place like www.uline.com, and lay a single layer down. Then get a second layer, cut the outlines all the way through this one, and use spray glue to glue it to the first layer.

Uline's rolls are plenty generous for this. Overly so - you might want to get with some friends to share a roll.

Dave

You guys must be really young.

All this talk about foam and a nice organized tool box is a complete waste of time IMHO, my guess is too many tools will end up following you home over time, and now where are they going to live?:D

That's been my experience anyway! However, I do make an attempt to organize the piles in each drawer... the slot head screwdrivers on one side, and Phillips on the other. Most of the torx live in my motorhome toolbox, the allen wrench screwdrivers are scattered in the top of the main one, as are the really tiny screwdriver sets, some are on the pegboard, some are in drawers of rolling worktables...

The key is always put the tool back after finishing the task, before starting the next. If I don't I may not find it again!

My shop fridge, however, is very much like yours, but with more light versions!:)

Enjoy your project!

Damon, I think you might be on to something. I am procrastinating about finishing those foam cutouts. Major PITA!!

I did get the workbenches finished though! :D
11.jpg

From what I am hearing this is plenty big enough but I would prefer a bigger space.
12.jpg

Ordering emp on Monday. Garage doors come Tuesday. Trying to knock out the honey-do list so I can concentrate on getting started. Seems like there is alot more work to do around the house in the spring also. And I am going to have to go fly the Tweety before he gets any angrier! He is always watching me!!
13.jpg

And I am going to have to go fly the Tweety before he gets any angrier! He is always watching me!!
13.jpg

Do this first. Fly the Tweety. I didn't see you in the air today thought you were sleeping. Good job on wheeled tables!

I agree with Ed that a computing device will be invaluable.

My preference is a tablet. I hav an iPad and it snaps into a RAM mound on an "extension arm" in my shop. I load PDF files in the iBooks app and I load VAF articles, and other web content into the InstaPaper app. Just as an example, I now want to build a couple EAA1000 benches so I googled, found the instructions and loaded those into Instapaper. I now have the build instructions available for off-line use. I have done this often - autopilot wiring diagrams, maintenance checklists, FWF instruction suggestions, Pierre's control surface locks, etc. when I find a good idea and suggestion, I load it into Instapaper. When I find a PDF of a manual or instructions I load it into iBooks.

Nice looking shop! I have a DRDT2 that will be available in a couple of months. I don't want to give it up until am know I am done...

Lol, sorry Glen! I was the one drinking. Took me a minute to figure out what you meant. I do plan on using an iPad in the shop. :D

Tony, since you'll be using an iPad, you'll have lots of chances to be "iPhoned" with it's odd sence of spell check and word substitution :) drinking is optional.

I dont plan to build but I am interested in learning the basics. I'll try to plan a few "volunteer" sessions at your shop to see how this whole nutty experience is done !

The King of Beers

There is a reason why Budweiser is number 1, why are you drinking that garbage? Have yo ever spent anytime abroad? they all know what the number 1 beer is and laugh at Americans when they buy their garbage!

Wake up and get an new life! Budweiser is the King!

That's Great Tony!

Congrats on the decision and the shop you setup will work perfectly.

Good luck and let me know if you need anything.

Jack, I will undoubtedly annoy you with a multitude of questions. It was great meeting you last week. I'm glad you came down! I just hope Vanessa can handle my dependency. : )

Mike, I'll be in Napa on Thurs!

Vlad, finders fee? You still owe me over and over but don't worry...I'm keeping score and WILL collect.

I'm going to need a lot of help! I'm actually scared...and that's saying a lot from a guy who has 350+ skydives, 5+ BASE jumps, and 1 forced landing into a forest! Ahh, there's always Guinness, the Irish King of Beers! :D

Nice pic... Ahhhhhh it brings back the memories of my tail kit arrival. (although my crates were a lot bigger:))

You're building an 8 ?

Tony,

What made you decide on an 8? I ever heard you wanted to build you own. Good luck to you. I want to fly down to your airport for lunch. Are you going to be around this weekend?

Richard

Yeah Richie! Come on down. I want somebody to look over my shop and fill in some gray areas about how to get started. Let me know which day

Crossed the Rubicon

Tony,

There's no turning back now...

Don't rush; enjoy the build - and come take me flying when you need a break!! :D

Last edited:
Looks good! What you have in the fridge will get you through deburring the horizontal stabilizer...you better have a backup plan for filling that fridge on a regular basis:D.
Have fun building!

We'll see how the weather looks.

From here it looks like Sunday will be the better day but lets see. I'll call you.

Tom, I have to come up there SOON. I need to see what you are up to and how you are proceeding. Trying to get a Russian to help me get started is like pulling teeth!!

Any time

Tony - you're welcome any time. I can come down too and help you get started, but I don't think you need and help... well, maybe I can help you recycle some of the stock in your refrigerator :D

Here's my newly completed Harbor Freight fabrication table!!
_DSC0138.JPG

_DSC0139.JPG

For less than $450 including lumber and hardware, I am very pleased to have this set-up for making my build as easy as possible.

Here is a box of deburred parts almost ready for assembly. I may have to start a thread to document my build.
_DSC0140.JPG

Back