VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-08-2012, 12:51 PM

Default Newton Fuel Caps

I would like to know how many folks have installed the Newton fuel caps that Van's sells as a retrofit for tanks that are already built. It seems that most, or all, of these that are installed on RV-10's have an issue with fuel venting out the key slot in flight when the tanks are filled to the point that the fuel is in contact with the bottom of the cap.
I talked to a Harmon Rocket owner/builder a couple of weeks ago that had these caps and he says he gets no fuel siphoning out the key slot and always fills his tanks to the top.
So, I would like to know if this is a problem specific to the RV-10, or if those who have installed them on other RV models have the problem.
VAF Paid 1/1/2014

"In '69 I was 21, and I called the world my own"
Jackson Browne

Old 04-08-2012, 03:27 PM

Thumbs down Retrofit Newton fuel caps leak

Hi David,

I installed a set of these caps and have not been at all happy with them. As you have indicated the issue with them leaking out the top of the cap is a concern with full tanks. In addition to this I filled my tanks (2-3 litres from full) on a cool day and later in the week with my plane hangared, they leaked through the cap on a very hot day with fuel expansion and have ended up staining my PPG paint. Obviously it was easier for the fuel to vent through the cap than through my vent. I have tried using fuel lube inside the cap also without success to seal them through the key mechanism.

The other thing you need to be aware of is that Newton changed the profile of their caps without letting anyone know. How I know this is I wanted to have mine engraved and rather than ship over my installed set to the States, I decided to have a new set from Vans sent to the Engraver (at Independence Airpark) The engraver did a fantastic job and then shipped back to me here in Australia. When I went to install them, the caps sat 1/4" low in the receptacle. After much dialogue with Newton, I had to purchase another set from them with the same profile set-up as my originals even though they are listed at Vans. Even the two I had engraved were differing profiles in so far as one had one 'O' ring and the other had two 'O' rings on the seat. When I spoke to Newton about it they said it was their right to improve their product and hence I had no comeback on customer service.

Long story short, yes they pass fuel out the cap.!! If I fill my tanks to full, in flight with the fuel vent pressured, it leaves a blue stream over my wings and over my flap.

Cheers, Greg Blakey (FADEC IOF-360 WW200RV)
Old 04-08-2012, 03:32 PM

Default Newton fuel caps

David,
I have the Newton caps and have no problem with them leaking out the key slot or around the seal and I top off to the point of overfilling at times. I have 550 hrs on the plane. I would contact Newton about them. The one thing a cap should not do is leak.

Don
Old 04-08-2012, 03:42 PM

Default Are they retrofit caps?

Don,

Do you have the exact (retrofit) caps that David is referring? Newton also make caps where the receptacle has to be installed with the tank build and these caps seem to be ok. It is only the retrofit with the insert collar that I have had issue with. Exactly the same as in his link above.

Cheers, Greg
Old 04-08-2012, 04:32 PM

I have the deluxe locking caps from Vans. I installed them during tank build. They are not the retrofit ones David is referring to. No leaks so far. Does Newton have any idea why they are leaking? Maybe when I come down end of May, we can compare the retrofit to new install model to see where the differences are.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:36 PM

Gregg,
Yes, I have the ones with the insert. I had quick build wings.
Don
Old 04-08-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest rv-10 View Post
Gregg,
Yes, I have the ones with the insert. I had quick build wings.
Don
Hi Don,
Can you tell me if your tank vent lines are stock as per Van's plans, or have you modified them in some way?
VAF Paid 1/1/2014

Jackson Browne

Old 04-08-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Gillispie View Post
I have the deluxe locking caps from Vans. I installed them during tank build. They are not the retrofit ones David is referring to. No leaks so far. Does Newton have any idea why they are leaking? Maybe when I come down end of May, we can compare the retrofit to new install model to see where the differences are.
I sent an email to Newton a while back explaining my problem and have had no response.
VAF Paid 1/1/2014

Jackson Browne

Old 04-08-2012, 08:25 PM

Default tank vents

David,
Yes, I have per plans vents, 90 degree bend with the angle facing forward.
Don
Old 04-08-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest rv-10 View Post
David,
Yes, I have per plans vents, 90 degree bend with the angle facing forward.
Don
Thanks Don. Well, that really makes me wonder if there was a batch of caps with a problem. I guess I will keep trying to communicate with Newton and see if they respond. Perhaps I should call Van's, too.
VAF Paid 1/1/2014

Jackson Browne