What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X / GTN 650 / GTS 800

bignose

I'm considering a tripple G3X System on a RV 10, would like to have a "real" (active) traffic avoidance like the Garmin GTS 800. As far as I know, the 800 will not inerface with the G3X PFD. So, I am considering one of the GTN family for displaying traffic and stormscope. The GTN 650 would be nice, because it fits all togheter with a 240 Audio Panel + SL 40 + GTX 327 straight in the panel.
BUT, because the 650 display is so small, it would be very nice to show traffic and strikes on the G3X moving map. Otherwise, the option would be a 750 to inerface with traffic and stormscope, but one will run out of panelspace, and have to move the SL 40 and GTX 327 to the console.

So, the question is: Is there any way to show traffic (GTS 800) and strikes on The G3X, being translated by the GTN 650 ???

Hello Mr. Nose,

Originally we did not anticipate the number of people who would want to use the GTS 800 active traffic system with G3X, but after receiving so many requests we decided to invest the resources to make it happen. We plan to make a free G3X software update available soon that will add support for the GTS 800. Right now there is another VAF user flying with this setup in his RV-10 and reporting great results.

As for a Stormscope interface, at the present time the G3X system does not have support for a Stormscope input, but it is on our wishlist of things to investigate. Alternatively, you could display GTS 800 traffic on your G3X MFD and Stormscope strikes on a GTN 650. Thanks for your feedback, it helps us prioritize features based on what you the customer are interested in seeing.

thanks,
- Matt

Last edited:
I'm considering a tripple G3X System on a RV 10, would like to have a "real" (active) traffic avoidance like the Garmin GTS 800. As far as I know, the 800 will not inerface with the G3X PFD. So, I am considering one of the GTN family for displaying traffic and stormscope. The GTN 650 would be nice, because it fits all togheter with a 240 Audio Panel + SL 40 + GTX 327 straight in the panel.
BUT, because the 650 display is so small, it would be very nice to show traffic and strikes on the G3X moving map. Otherwise, the option would be a 750 to inerface with traffic and stormscope, but one will run out of panelspace, and have to move the SL 40 and GTX 327 to the console.

So, the question is: Is there any way to show traffic (GTS 800) and strikes on The G3X, being translated by the GTN 650 ???

We have several system almost exactly like you describe already installed in flying RV-10's. The users are awaiting the software upgrade to display the GTS on the G3X, but in the mean time have it on the GTN.

Regarding room, you do realize you can remote mount the Transponder anywhere you want and control it from either the GTN or the G3X, right? Alternatively, if you move up to the GTX23ES which is almost the same money, you get full ADSB (and TIS) traffic in and out when coupled with the GTS box...

Just some thoughts.

Cheers,
Stein

Ok, I suppose we don't have any TIS and ADSB developed in our country yet, so I would like to know how the GTS 800 works interfaced to a GTN 750 as an active interrogation unit only.
I mean, is it possible to have a GTS 800 showing traffic on a GTN 750 working only on its active mode, without any data link from a Mode S ES XPDR ? For example, I was thinking G3X + GTN 750 + GTX 327 Mode C Transponder (or GTX 32).
Will the GTS 800 display traffic (active) working independetly from any transponder (Mode S) ? Or, maybe a Mode S but with No Extended Sqittter and therefore ADSB ???

Last edited:
Ok, I suppose we don't have any TIS and ADSB developed in our country yet, so I would like to know how the GTS 800 works interfaced to a GTN 750 as an active interrogation unit only.
I mean, is it possible to have a GTS 800 showing traffic on a GTN 750 working only on its active mode, without any data link from a Mode S ES XPDR ? For example, I was thinking G3X + GTN 750 + GTX 327 Mode C Transponder (or GTX 32).
Will the GTS 800 display traffic (active) working independetly from any transponder (Mode S) ? Or, maybe a Mode S but with No Extended Sqittter and therefore ADSB ???

The GTS can indeed work with the GTN and the GTX mode C using "suppression I/O" formatting, but it still needs to talk to the transponder so the aircraft doesn't paint itself as a constant target. Also, you "may" be limited to the 800 instead of the 820 or 850 when using a 327. I need to study the manual or ask a Garmin techie to be sure. The install manual has a table in it that lists all of the compatible transponders and it notes that if you use the 327, then ADS-B functionality is disabled/disallowed.

That being said, if you are considering a GTX32, then you just as well get the GTX23ES, because it's actually cheaper by almost $500. Note that if you go with a 327, it can be controlled from either the GTN or G3X.

If you want Mode S with no ES or TIS, then the GTX328 would be the unit you'd want.

Hope that answers your questions!

Cheers,
Stein

As I just discovered, G3X Software Upgrade 6.40 is just rolled out, and enables GTS 800 Active Traffic System to be interfaced !!!

Great, the whole system getting better every day. Now it's unbeatable for me.

Thanks for the good news.

Back