What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12/UL Power Ist Engine Start

Alschief

Well Known Member
See short video

BCET6LA4Z4UiFzg_6PbtqNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0

First engine start, cranked immediately ran to 100 deg F Oil temp,
No leaks sounded very smooth.

Last edited:
Great news

Al, thats great. Did you expect anything less than it working great! I am really enjoying your progress. Thanks for the updates

Sounds and looks good Al, I really like the UL and hope it does well for you. Although I am very satisfied with the Rotax, a viable alternative would be great. You are a trail blazer!

I would suggest chocking all wheels on any engine start especially the first one, and have someone at the controls / brakes. It looks like the tail is tied down, the rope looks pretty light. If it went to full throttle you could have a runaway plane on your hands. I realize this is a 100+ HP engine, but stranger things have happened. :eek:

Also, having the prop blast pushing into the hangar will cause a lot of dust and debris to go everywhere and come back into your air intake.

I hate to keep looking for safety issues, but starting the engine with the tow bar attached is real bad karma.

Last edited:
UL Power

See short video

tPtmCU58i7fsR8LYmOPkP9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0

First engine start, cranked immediately ran to 100 deg F Oil temp,
No leaks sounded very smooth.

Great to see and hear..!! Keep up the great work ..there will be Air under the tires before you know it!

I would suggest chocking all wheels on any engine start especially the first one, and have someone at the controls / brakes. It looks like the tail is tied down, the rope looks pretty light. If it went to full throttle you could have a runaway plane on your hands. I realize this is a 100+ HP engine, but stranger things have happened. :eek:

Also, having the prop blast pushing into the hangar will cause a lot of dust and debris to go everywhere and come back into your air intake.

I hate to keep looking for safety issues, but starting the engine with the tow bar attached is real bad karma.

You must be seeing a different video than I. The wheels are chocked, the prop blast is parallel to the hangar, and I really don't think that chevy dualie is going anywhere!

Back