What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS inspar ribs not lining up?

NovaBandit

Well Known Member
I'm clecoing together my HS ribs for the first time, and I know these holes don't get drilled until the skins are on, but I'm seeing something that just doesn't line up.

The holes on the front of the HS inspar ribs are about a half a hole behind the holes on the spar flange.

I read that some others had this issue (some on other RV models). Some final drilled the parts separately, and some mentioned that clecoing the skins on would push everything into place.

This is the hole in question (and all the other HS-904 ribs are about the same, the HS-1004 ribs are better, but still not perfect).
hsrib.JPG

And there are pictures at the bottom of this blog post of how it looks now:
http://www.edandcolleen.com/its-getting-bigger/

Things have been popping right together so far in the kit, so going forward I just need an idea of how much I should be "massaging" things into place.

Thoughts?

I think I had the same issue with some of those. I may have tried using a hammer and block of wood for a good massage. Once skins were clecoed and match drilled it must have worked out, or I forgot about it once I started on the doors.

HS Ribs

Well a word of thumb if they don't line up the you probably have the rib in the wrong spot or reversed, or what ever. A hammer is not a good idea trust me . Ask me how i know as i had to reorder a few ribs.

I would get another person to take a look at this and a second set of eyes really helps.

Good luck and keep pounding them rivets.

To me it looks like the aft flange on the rib isnt 90* to the rib. As a result, the rib is bent slightly out and is moving the flange hole from alignment.

I was able to get everything to line up. I figured the least I could do would be to assemble everything as if I had never noticed the misalignment. The skins really pulled everything into place!

I did a lot of pulling and cleco wiggling, and I started at the aft hole of the inspar ribs and worked my way forward to the front spar...where the problem was. By the time I was a hole or two away, the rib had been pushed tighter and the hole was lining up... so Charlie, you are probably right. The front flanges probably are bent out a bit, or the radius of the bend isn't tight enough... but the skins lined everything up anyways.

Back