What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spark Plugs and Mag Coils

bhester

Well Known Member
Patron
From my web site:
Last April I had a mag fail during a mag check on run up (466 hrs). I took it back to the hanger and did some troubleshooting. Yep it was dead. I had a brand new one on the shelf that came with the engine. I had installed an electronic ignition on one side before it was ever started. I installed it and sit the dead one on the shelf to troubleshoot further at a later date. So that time has come, I wanted to have a good spare on the shelf. I had already taken it apart and narrowed it down to either the condenser or the coil. The easiest thing to check was the condenser all I had to do was swap the cover which houses the condenser and see if the installed mag worked or not. Of course it worked just fine, which means the coil in the dead mag is the part that was dead. A new slick coil cost about $275. I decided I would try to locate one on the Van's Airforce web site. I got a suggestion to contact Aircraft Magneto Service in Washington state. I sent them an email and they told me that they do not sell used coils but suggested that I purchase a Tempest PMA coil, P/N A-13009. They said it is a more robust coil and would not fail and it is cheaper. They went on to explain to me why my coil failed, or at least most likely why it failed. They said that most coils fail due to a bad spark plug. They told me to check the ohms resistance of my plugs and if any checked over 5000 ohms to though it away and replace it. This was news to me I had never heard anything about this. I did not think I would find a bad plug, they were all firing just fine and I had just cleaned them and did not see anything wrong with them. They said to put one probe into the barrel and touch the other one to the tip. Three of them measured between 1341 and 1457. The last one I could not get a reading on at all. I told Aircraft Magneto Service what I found and they told me, that plug is what caused my coil to fail. Even though it was firing good it had a problem. I told them that I had dropped a plug the first time I installed them but I didn't find anything wrong with it and it was working just like it should. I guess I had damaged the plug but could not tell. So, I guess it all makes sense. I'm here to tell you, just like everyone says, if you drop one throw it away. A $22 plug cost me a $275 coil. I never have read anything about checking the resistance of your spark plugs, so if you never have either, now you have!

Just trying to help others avoid problems that I have had, hope this helps :eek:

Last edited:
Very helpful

I just wanted to say thanks for posting this! I had my slick mag fail today, at least i'm relatively certain that this is what happened. Engine quitting on one mag seemed like a dead mag, but then it created a spark when turning the engine over by hand. I read something about coils quitting when they're hot, and working again once they cool down, so i'll continue troubleshooting tomorrow, but it's good to know about the resistance in the plugs bit, and that tempest will sell me a "better" product. Thanks again!

Edit: Turns out that my failure was the condenser, $120 instead of $230. Hopefully they last until I can upgrade to that LSE....

Last edited:
SLICK 4700 (LASAR)

Hopefully this is part of this conversation, but I need some help. I have the LASAR system installed in my RV-6A (IO 360). I am pretty sure that I have the timing done correctly. I have the timing tool and followed the instructions to the letter. The left mag has never been an issue and when doing a mag check it is very smooth and drops about 50 RPMs when compared to both mags. The right mag has always been and issue and the best I can do is a drop of about 300 RPMs from both or 200/250 between left and right mags. What am I doing wrong or do I have a bad right mag? If I have a bad right mag, where do I send it to rebuild/repair?

I actually bought another right mag from someone here on Vans Forum, but it is hard to believe that someone would state that a part was fully functional when removed, but when I installed it and timed it, there was a 400 RPM difference between right and left mag. Plus engine would run very rough. Worse off, the mag had a grounding problem because the only way to shut the engine off was to completely close the mixture.

Appreciate and help. Thank you...

Condenser check

Is there a way to test a condenser other than placing in a working magneto?
Thanks.
Johan

High voltage condensers are known as capacitors, and are easily checked.
If you know any old Ham radio, tube Hi Fi guys or old radio collectors, they likely have, or can find a nice old capacitor checker. Sprague Tel-Ohmike is my favorite, Knight, Heathkit also check capacitors up to 600 Volts.
Magneto capacitors don't run at 600 Volts, maybe someone can contribute that value.
I'm thinking 350 Volts, but most likely I'm wrong.

Back