What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Diffs: GTX23 vs GTX 33 vs other for ES 1092MHz

Aiki_Aviator

Well Known Member
I am after some good understanding of the differences between using the GTX 23 vs the GTX 33 vs any others that fit the bill on a configuration containing GTN650 and AFS 5500 with AP auto pilot setup.

I am looking at having ADS-B if possible and traffic info. I am in Oz and at present we do not have all of the 'offerings' that the US has.

My main reason for the question is to get a good idea of the benefits of going remote controlled vs manual vs $'s and the diffs between the individual units.

Any help greatly appreciated.

I am after some good understanding of the differences between using the GTX 23 vs the GTX 33 vs any others that fit the bill on a configuration containing GTN650 and AFS 5500 with AP auto pilot setup.

I am looking at having ADS-B if possible and traffic info. I am in Oz and at present we do not have all of the 'offerings' that the US has.

My main reason for the question is to get a good idea of the benefits of going remote controlled vs manual vs $'s and the diffs between the individual units.

Any help greatly appreciated.

The big difference for you is that currently the GTX23ES can only be controlled by the G3X EFIS whereas the "GTX-anything else" can be controlled by the GTN. No need to get the 33ES though, we can make a 330ES work with your GTN just fine and save you a few bucks right there.

That being said, I'd never put anything past Rob at AFS as far as future capability though!

Cheers,
Stein

330 ES: Remoted

Hi Stein,

For further info, can the 330 be remoted like the 33? Maybe reducing panel space and mount in side panel?

The big difference for you is that currently the GTX23ES can only be controlled by the G3X EFIS whereas the "GTX-anything else" can be controlled by the GTN. No need to get the 33ES though, we can make a 330ES work with your GTN just fine and save you a few bucks right there.

That being said, I'd never put anything past Rob at AFS as far as future capability though!

Cheers,
Stein

Whats the priceand capability diff between the 23 and 33? Deciding whether to pair our G3X with a GTN650 or GNS430W. Either way I think I'd rather control the txpdr through the EFIS (so 23 right?).

Yes, the 330 can be remote mounted with a GTN (not a GNS)....however the -23ES is a lot cheaper (almost 50%) than a 33ES with the same capability - though only for us experimental types. If you have a G3X it's by far the best way to go. The G3X can control pretty much all the GTX's, not so with the GTN. That being said, if you're in AU/NZ or Europe and can't use TIS or ADSB then the 328 is best - though we haven't tested it with the GTN yet.

Cheers,
Stein

Last edited:
Whats the priceand capability diff between the 23 and 33? Deciding whether to pair our G3X with a GTN650 or GNS430W. Either way I think I'd rather control the txpdr through the EFIS (so 23 right?).

A GTX 23ES has all the same features and specifications as a GTX 33ES, the only difference being a lower cost and the fact that the 23ES can not be controlled by a certified IFR navigator (although it will still accept TSO WAAS GPS data for ADS-B Out compliance). The G3X system can control any Garmin digital transponder, remote or panel-mounted: 23ES, 33, 33ES, 327, 328, 330, 330ES.

Many folks find it easier to use the physical buttons on a panel-mounted transponder rather than the transponder controls on an EFIS display - it's a matter of personal preference and panel space. If you are running short of panel space, or you typically fly in areas where you rarely change the transponder code, a remote-mount transponder might be the ticket. Another option some people have chosen is to connect a panel-mount transponder such as the GTX 330 to their G3X system, which gives them the option to control the transponder via the G3X PFD or the buttons on the transponder. That's how our G3X demo panel is configured, so if you will be at any of the big airshows this year you might try to stop by and ask for a demo!

- Matt

Any video demos of the operation on the G3X? Have the system, plotting out the plan of attack for the rest of the panel.

The G3X system can control any Garmin digital transponder, remote or panel-mounted: 23ES, 33, 33ES, 327, 328, 330, 330ES.

Another option some people have chosen is to connect a panel-mount transponder such as the GTX 330 to their G3X system, which gives them the option to control the transponder via the G3X PFD or the buttons on the transponder.

OK, let's imagine a G3X system plus a GTN 750. Can the GTN 750 control the GTX 327 ???

AND: can the GTN 750 control the GMA 240/340 Audio panel ???
Or do I have to have the GMA 35 to achieve the benefits of the extraoirdinary quality of it's audio/intercom system ?

Last edited:
OK, let's imagine a G3X system plus a GTN 750. Can the GTN 750 control the GTX 327 ???

Yes - either panel mounted and/or remote.

AND: can the GTN 750 control the GMA 240/340 Audio panel ???

No

Or do I have to have the GMA 35 to achieve the benefits of the extraoirdinary quality of it's audio/intercom system ?

Yes - if you want it mounted neatly behind the screen.

Cheers,
Stein

Also from OZ,

It is my understanding that an approved position source (Garmin GNS / GTN) is required to activate the ES component on the GTX23ES. No GNS / GTN no ADS-B.

Even with a GNS / GTN the GTX23ES still does not meet the required integrity requirements for CASA / Airservices Australia for IFR ADS-B compliance and has to have "transmit only a value of zero for the NUCp or NIC"

With these values set to 0 (integrity) would I be correct in saying that it is pointless (for me) having ADS-B capability from the 23ES?

It appears at this stage the only ADS-B transponders that a fully approved (for IFR) are the Garmin (reasonable expensive solution) certified range and the TRIG units.

That being said:
  1. I dont know of any owners in Australia that use GTX23ES (I know two of the local Garmin re sellers have not sold any). Is anyone in OZ using the GTX23ES?
  2. Can I connect via RS232 (port 1) on the g3x to supply GPS position information to the TRIG transponder (fully certified) for ADS-B purposes (VFR) until I can afford to add an IFR GPS (GNS/GTN)

GTX 23ES with G3X

Also from OZ,

It is my understanding that an approved position source (Garmin GNS / GTN) is required to activate the ES component on the GTX23ES. No GNS / GTN no ADS-B.

Even with a GNS / GTN the GTX23ES still does not meet the required integrity requirements for CASA / Airservices Australia for IFR ADS-B compliance and has to have "transmit only a value of zero for the NUCp or NIC"

With these values set to 0 (integrity) would I be correct in saying that it is pointless (for me) having ADS-B capability from the 23ES?

It appears at this stage the only ADS-B transponders that a fully approved (for IFR) are the Garmin (reasonable expensive solution) certified range and the TRIG units.

That being said:
  1. I dont know of any owners in Australia that use GTX23ES (I know two of the local Garmin re sellers have not sold any). Is anyone in OZ using the GTX23ES?
  2. Can I connect via RS232 (port 1) on the g3x to supply GPS position information to the TRIG transponder (fully certified) for ADS-B purposes (VFR) until I can afford to add an IFR GPS (GNS/GTN)

Hello Haydn,

You are certainly the expert on Australia here, but we wanted to comment on a couple of points.

1. The GTX 23ES is a certified 250W Mode S transponder with 1090ES. The latest V7.02 certified software released in early January upgrades the unit to have full TSO-C166b and ETSO-C166b "V2" ADS-B Out compliance. You certainly don't need to put another brand transponder in your G3X aircraft to have this capability. As shown on this page, all this capability comes at an extremely competitive price.

2. A GNS/GTN certified position source is NOT required to enable 1090ES ADS-B Out transmissions. The single RS-232 bi-directional connection between the G3X GSU73 ADAHRS is used for transponder control and to provide the transponder with a continuous stream of data including pressure altitude and VFR WAAS GPS data.

3. The GTX 23ES, like all Garmin Mode S transponders, supports receiving ADS-B Out data from GNS/GTN certified position sources on a separate RS-232 port. When this data is provided, the GTX 23ES automatically recognizes that this data has higher positional accuracy/integrity and uses it to fill in the data fields in the 1090 Mhz extended squitter instead of the VFR GPS data being received from the G3X system.

4. If you reach up and turn off your GNS/GTN navigator, the GTX 23ES continues to send out the extended squitter, it just falls back to using the G3X provided VFR GPS data. As required by both the U.S. and Australia, the data fields in the extended squitter properly report the design assurance and integrity of the data thus assuring that ATC is not misled regarding the type of data being transmitted and it's suitability to be used for aircraft separation.

5. We are NOT sending National Marine Electronics Association "NMEA" GPS data to our transponder as it does not contain nearly enough information for the GTX 23ES to perform all the functions described above and Garmin Mode S transponders do not accept NMEA data. G3X integration with the GTX 23ES certified Mode S transponder provides the very best capability and performance that can be achieved whether you are using a VFR or an IFR installation.

6. Everything said above about GTX 23ES integration with G3X also applies to GTX 330ES integration with G3X. Whether you prefer a panel mount transponder or a remote mount one, both are excellent Mode S ADS-B Out solutions for G3X equipped experimental aircraft. When you combine this transponder ADS-B Out function with the traffic and weather ADS-B in capability offered by the dual frequency GDL 39 ADS-B receiver, your G3X aircraft is taking full advantage of all the benefits of ADS-B.

One final comment. While this system does not require any country specific "approvals" to operate in the U.S., you are in a better position than us to know if your country has different requirements.

Let us know if you have additional questions or if we can help further.

Thanks,
Steve

Great. Thank you for your response. That now makes sense.

All I need is for garmin to add Blue Tooth to the Gma 240 and bring in special pricing for the GNC420 or GNS430w forthe G3X and ill be happy as a pig in mud. (The current special on the 400W is a bit of a waste of panel space if I can't even get a com in there as well).
Thanks again.

Hi,

4. If you reach up and turn off your GNS/GTN navigator, the GTX 23ES continues to send out the extended squitter, it just falls back to using the G3X provided VFR GPS data. As required by both the U.S. and Australia, the data fields in the extended squitter properly report the design assurance and integrity of the data thus assuring that ATC is not misled regarding the type of data being transmitted and it's suitability to be used for aircraft separation

As per CASA

?If an aircraft carries ADS-B transmitting equipment which does not comply with an approved equipment configuration, the aircraft must not fly in Australian territory unless the equipment is

(a) deactivated; or

(b) set to transmit only a value of zero for the NUCp or NIC.?

If the GTX sources from the G3X it has to comply with (b) above.
There maybe an out by getting a CASA approval for G3X/GTX combination, but would seem unlikely...

Back