What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Smoke System Install with pics

C-FAH Q

Well Known Member
Smoke System Install with pics ( Updated Pics )

Well, it seems like I am a bugger for punishment. With the cold weather -7C, I find my self working in the hanger. I purchased a Smoking Airplanes 3.5 Gallon system was was eager to get it installed. So, with hot coffee in hand into the frozen wonderland of the hanger I go. First thing i did was to install the injector on the exhaust behind the Y joint. I was surprised at how easily the pipe drilled, maybe that particular bit had not seen any stainless or fibre glass yet ! I decided on one injector for now, and will see how that works for me.

imageqf.jpg

Instructions say to keep the bulkhead fitting as low as possible for a clean smoke cut off. I also looped the braided line to limit the amount of fluid that might trickle down the line after shut off of pump.

imagefim.jpg

I mounted the tank behind the passenger seat, simply to help with balance of plane in flight. I am no light weight and every bit helps balance my fat butt. Yes ,there is clearance between the motor and side wall.

imagekyg.jpg

you can see in the previous pic where the vent line is looped up under the cross member and then runs down through the flap access panel. I installed the vent fitting directly below on the bottom skin. I thought it looked tidy like this. The top of the vent line goes through an adel clamp attached to the nut that holds on the delrin block. There is also a support clamp proved with the kit that holds the hose to the tank for support. I decided to put the clamp on one of the screws that hold the flap access cover on, it supports the hose well about three inches from the valve allowing a bit of damping of any vibration. I also put the ground lug between the cover and bulkhead on the same screw. close to the pump connection for when I need to remove the tank.

imagetskzj.jpg

Next up was to run the wire and hose to the front cabin area and panel. I decided not to put a momentary switch in my grip, but rather near the throttle. It is easily with in reach with my hand on the go fast knob.

imagezny.jpg

I mounted the three way switch and led pump on light on the panel away from where it could accidentally get switched on.

imagekol.jpg

The breakers are mounted up behind the panel as they are not crucial to flight and can be easily checked on the ground.

I must say that this kit is extremely well thought out and very complete. The quality of parts is very nice and packaging and instruction are clear as a bell. If you decide to install a kit from Smoking Airplanes, you will not be disappointed.

The project was completed in 11 hours with no help in a freezing cold hanger. my feet froze when I was in the cockpit working upside down under the panel with no shoes on. A quick heat up of the boots with the heat gun and problem solved.

Now I just need to get some smoke oil(whole other thread there !). Some other projects are happening and will be a little bit before I get a chance to test in flight, but I have no doubt it will be great.

Last edited:
nice work-

you might check the temperatures at the fitting on the exhaust pipe. probably nothing, but if the temps are up, it can melt or deform the teflon liner, and cause your oil to leak onto the hot exhaust.
Just saying-
Tom

For those that are interested, I use Conoco Phillps 70N a light 10w oil. got a good deal on 55 gal,but was able to pickup. www.blazingaviation.com located in Chesterfield ,MO

Chris RV8 Second Chance
EAA 1424 Tech Advisor
Festus,MO

Chris,
That is also a good choice as it is 100% paraffinic oil. I have found esso/Imperial oil Faxam 10 and Faxaxm 22 oil locally in Canada. These are also 100% paraffinic. The Faxam 10 is $465 a drum. Long way from $1165 for super dri or aeroshell smoke oil.

The important part about using these oils is that they are 100% paraffinic. Using other oils may work well, but these are by far, the cleanest burning, safest for pilot and people on the ground, no foul odor and the best Enviromental choice as far as I can tell. Most other oils contain some things I really would not want to be dumping inthe air with a chance of inhaling during flight.

Smoke Oil

Thanks Gary: I agree ,this oil has lots of smoke, a long hang time with very little odor in the cockpit. Using the Smoking Airplanes smoke system,with 3/4 open, 2 injectors, not as much oil on the belly as I would have expected...

Chris RV8 Second Chance 627CS
EAA 1424 Tech Couneslor
Festus,MO.

Fill kit install pics

Today I got around to installing the external fill kit of my smoking airplanes system and I wanted to do this a little different and install it flush as opposed to having it protrude from the side of the fuselage. I went over to my pal Tom Martin's, and the first thing he said was" you need to install that flush". Agree to that and made a game plan.
The plastic cap fitting is countersunk for a non standard screw, and seeing we were going to dimple the skin to a #8, we needed to come up with a way to fill the counter sunk plastic gap and prevent the dimpled skin from pulling in. Tom came up with taking a #8 washer and dimpling it, setting it into the plastic cap fitting. Doing this allowed the dimpled skin to nest into a solid rest. This worked well.
Next was to cut out the hole, slightly larger in diameter than the screw off cap. Lucky for me, I had a nice rondel perfectly placed.
imagedno.jpg

After that was cut and smoothed, I took the backing plate that is provided and used that as a template for the screw holes. Making sure to center the template over the hole so cap would end up centered. I had aligned the cap and made markings so I knew what direction the cap handle would sit in relationship to the holes. Drilled the holes and deburred them before dimpling. We placed a #8 female dimple die into a small anvil. It weighed about ten pounds and provided a solid back weight for setting the male dimple in to. We tried a small squeezer, but it was to big to get square on the hole, through the hole we had just made.
imagehoq.jpg

Next was to attatch the assembly from inside the fuselage using the #8 screws, apply the provided smoke oil only sticker and install the hose inside the fuse.
imagecgo.jpg

imageclv.jpg

I think it turned out well and feel it will not cause any drag for racing.

Once again, the Smoking Airplane kits are very very good, and the folks there are wonderful to deal with. I highly recommend them if your thinking about installing a smoke system.

Last edited:
Gary,

Now get the paint out and fix the cap.

Pure white so you can get the Leaf back.

MY .00005

Nice job Gary! It's a change to mine I've been thinking about. Do you have any pics of the dimpled washers and how they looked in the cap as it all went together?

Looks really nice! When you fill, recommend going slow. My internal fill kit has just a bit more rise between the opening and the tank, and it still burps back pretty hard if I try to fill too fast. Still a great way to go!

Oh, and though Boomer's idea of painting the cap white is a good one, I'll offer an alternative...white maple leaf stickers made from speed tape...for races, of course! ;)

Cheers,
Bob

Nice job Gary! It's a change to mine I've been thinking about. Do you have any pics of the dimpled washers and how they looked in the cap as it all went together?

Looks really nice! When you fill, recommend going slow. My internal fill kit has just a bit more rise between the opening and the tank, and it still burps back pretty hard if I try to fill too fast. Still a great way to go!

Oh, and though Boomer's idea of painting the cap white is a good one, I'll offer an alternative...white maple leaf stickers made from speed tape...for races, of course! ;)

Cheers,
Bob

Bob,
I did not take a pic of the washers. It was a #8 and we put it in the C frame dimpler. We tried a thick and thin washer, the thick washer filled the space better. It was placed in the counter sink of the cap so it ended up under the fuselage skin. Take caution as to not suck in the skin with over tightening.
The hole drilled in the fuselage is smaller than the hole you have cut in your skin, but I think it would still work. I was happy how it turned out,and was such a simple thing to do.
I realized when I chose the location I would have to fill slowly to avoid burp back, but it's really the spot I wanted the fill cap. Thinking up a way I can make a 90* funnell with a threaded part to screw into the cap fitting to hold it in place.
:rolleyes:

Thanks Gary! Kinda figured the hole I slid the fitting through might be bigger. Will see if I have the edge distance to work with. Copy all on the washers (thanks!). I am a bit concerned about skin pucker, but yours looks great!!

If I hadn't seen RoDoc's set up, I wouldn't have started contemplating this...now with you and him with flush mounts...well...guess I gotta try! ;)

If you invent that 90 degree funnel...lemme know...sounds like a great idea!

Cheers,
Bob

home made system somoke

I?m biuld my system with holley fuel pump, fiberglass tank homemade too (9 gal), 2 inyectors, but much more up.
0.75 gal/min
Not work to me the hi-temp aeroequip hose... cooper tube work fine whit a loop.

http://vimeo.com/39378392

Check min. 4:55

Sorry for my english ;)

nice video...good smoke!

the pre-flight briefing seemed like a heated argument..... about soccer?, but perhaps that's standard procedure!?!?!

est? bien, mi espa?ol es a?n peor!

here I thought Argentina was all mountains, what a beautiful area to fly over....every field is a perfect RV airstrip!

we are envious!

Thanks!

Excellent write up Gary - Thanks so much for all the details! I really enjoyed reading about the installation and then being able to see the pictures really tells the story.

Roundel?

Gary, you've peaked my interest on the roundel....do you have pictures of your plane? Looks close to the subdued grey on our CF-18s??

Cheers,

Don

the pre-flight briefing seemed like a heated argument..... about soccer?, but perhaps that's standard procedure!?!?!

est? bien, mi espa?ol es a?n peor!

here I thought Argentina was all mountains, what a beautiful area to fly over....every field is a perfect RV airstrip!

we are envious!

No, it's not a standard procedure...everyone look between them, like if we are crazy!!
Argentina it's a quit big country, bur with not much planes, my RV7 was the first to entry in this country. There were only two RV4, thanks internet all this planes are knowns and we have more than 25
Totally there are less than 500 experimental planes registred at all
You spanish is perfect

I found it Gary...I've seen your plane before. Nice paint job!

Thanks Don.
It's more of a "cover it up with epoxy primer" than it is a paint job. Its easy to clean, and making changes is really a no brainer when you don't have to worry about paint. It will get painted someday, but it is still going to have the industrial/military look to it. I have been looking for years for the right scheme, just have not come across it yet.

I have also added the second injector to the system. Much more solid smoke is produced at the same flow and no residue on the belly now.

Awesome write up!
That is on my list of things to do to the HR3 and now I guess I'll have to just to "keep up with the Jones's" so to speak.
Nice job on the filler also.
Jeff

Update

Just a quick net to update the thread.
I installed a second injector, much better smoke !
In use and esso oil product called Faxem 22E. It's 100% parrafinic, available locally in 5 galln pails and is about 10$ a gallon. I have used 5 gallons this year. It goes a long way.
I am extremely happy with the smoking airplanes system, it contains absolutely everything you need, I highly recommend it.

smoke

Not trying to steal anyones thunder but i remember years ago in EAA mag some people that wanted a little smoke used a windshield washer pump from car with plastic tank and built in pump for a little smoke fun and easy to take out when not using it and easy to reinstall.
bob

Back