What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Eagle's Nest--MAJOR update

videobobk

Well Known Member
Friend
Yesterday was the biggest day yet for Eagle's Nest. We had the JCHS Open House and an incredible number of things fell into place:
Eagle''s Nest Two will be built by the Patriot Academy, the only military high school (all Army National Guard students.) This aircraft will build in record time and is for sale!
One person came unannounced 220 miles (from South Bend) to discuss starting an ENP (should start in a year and a half.)
Ernie Butcher ("Special Delivery" here on VAF) was there from Texas.
The Superintendent of Schools agreed to give us an open letter of reference, opening access to many school systems.
Eagle's Nest has a Chaplain!
EAAers came from several chapters.
Hundreds stopped by. Best comment of the night, "I would hate to be the booth next to the airplane."
Four people from our FSDO stopped by and examined the plane. Only negative comment, "The wheels aren't properly tightened." I explained they had to come off to get it out of the gymnasium!
The plane looked great, interior installed, wings and tail in place, canopy open.
All our mentors and builders were there.

Guys, I am pumped! Also a little humbled. Eagle's Nest IS an ongoing program that can encourage youth aviation. There are going to be many opportunities to help out here, donations, time, mentoring, buying finished aircraft, and other things. Don't miss out.

Have to go to the school to get Eagle's Nest One out of the gym!

Bob

Agreed, last night was by far our best. Got the word out to many people, who hopefully will continue to spread the word. Met some great people, hope to see them all again. Thanks to Ernie for coming up as well.

Final follow-up: Due to just about outgrowing our storage shed (next one will be bigger,) we have moved permanently to OVO. I am actually going to miss working at the school, but we will spend less time with setup and cleanup, so work will go quicker. I plan to work some on the next Eagle's Nest Project at JCHS, also. It should begin this fall as a for-credit course. Our engine is on order, so we can get some weight on that nosewheel. Looking forward to that first engine start!

AND... Eagle's Nest Two is sold. It was on VAF for about 21 hours. What a great site, and what wonderful people! Construction will begin in a couple of weeks. Thanks to all for your inquiries, and for all the best wishes. For those of you in Indiana, watch Wings Over Indiana March first at 8PM on WFYI, Channel 20 around here. We will be near the end of the hour-long special.

Bob

Back