What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another 8 is flying!

Mark Burns

Well Known Member
Wayne Petrus of West Monroe, LA is currently flight testing his new RV-8.

Wayne purchased the kit from Harold Lanfear in Pennsylvania. Mr Lanfear had completed the avionics install and most of the electrical system.

It has an Aero Sport Power O-375 engine.
The airplane was completed at the Farmerville, LA airport with the help of RV guru Glen Barron and Jackie Gilbert.

Wayne is not new to RV's having previously built two 8A's, and a 7A.

I think I have him convinced to paint it like a P-51.

Mark

P1040317a.jpg

With the 375 he will have to fly Gold but bring it to a race

The lack of fellow racers from Arkansas and Lousiana when most of them take place just across the state line in Texas is a little surprising. After phase 1 and the fairings are installed I bet it will be fast. There are a few 390s flying in the RV Gold class but I know of no 375s. The match up would be interesting. I fly my stock 180 hp 360 against 200+ 360s and sometimes even win (well ok, I did once).

Bob Axsom

The -8 mafia expands!

Mark,
Thanks for posting this. Please send our congrats to Wayne!

Looks like a nice bird and that 375 should make it go like stink!

P-51 paint schemes can be pretty spartan

IMG_4866.jpg

This is the one that flew in the race at Taylor, Texas. It has the post WWII red stripe in the star & bar insignia and that is the brightest item. There was an RV-8A in a largely OD color scheme at a Memphis race a few years ag and it looked very nice but the paint was very slick like Imron with clear coat.

Bob Axsom

Back