What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MILESTONE: First engine start and taxi!

ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
On 1/28/12, I reached two major milestones: I started the engine and taxied.

I puchased this engine used over 5 years ago. That was the last time I saw it run.

The first thing we did was preoil the engine by pulling out half the plugs and running the starter until oil pressure was indicated. The hope was to also see oil by the rockers at this point but that didn't happen.

We then decided to start the engine with the rocker covers off the ensure that we had oil getting up there. It took a while but we finally saw some oil.

After putting the covers back on, I just had to take it out for a little spin.

It went very well. You can see it just popped right off. Not a single fuel or oil leak was found. We did find that the P-Lead to one of the mags was grounding to the shield. Only a single mag was working during the initial start and that is probably why it didn't run all that smooth. We then removed the P-lead and the engine ran much better. We reinstalled the shorted lead temporarily to safe the engine until I get a replacement or repair it.

First engine start is here: http://youtu.be/5LUzK91LFi8

First taxi is here: http://youtu.be/kK_6aoucisc

My list is getting very short!!

Last edited:
Congrats Kelly

I'm hoping for a first engine start later in the year. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks guys!

Thanks everybody. I've been rewatching my videos all weekend. I couldn't wipe off the grin. That collection of parts actually felt like an airplane. WOW!

Vlad, yes, I was ready for the worst. I even had a halon extinguisher inside the cockpit. I guess I'm a bit paranoid. Fortunately none were needed. The biggest hazard was tripping over the extinguishers! :D

Now I have to get back out there and finish things up even though I want to taxi around a bit more!

It's hard to believe that I'm actually at this point.

Back