What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rifle Airshows -- Joe Shetterly

N8RV

Well Known Member
Some months ago, my mother-in-law sent me a clipping from the Kansas City Star about an airshow performance featuring Joe Shetterly in his RV-8. Capt. Shetterly also flies an A-10 Warthog in airshows, and the videos on his website are impressive. It's neat to see that our planes can indeed entertain crowds very effectively.

rifle-airshows-download-2.jpg

He has a couple of videos on his website (http://rifleairshows.com/)

I have invited him (via FB) to check in here on VAF. I think there would be a lot of folks who would love to pick his brain about using an RV on the airshow circuit.

Nice to see this. I'd like to see his whole show routine he's worked up. I don't have a lot of desire to fly airshows, but in the back of my mind I've always thought it would be fun to work up a show in an RV-4 and display the full capability of an RV with precision beyond the typical "warbird" type of acro we mostly see...but also with a bit of Art Scholl-esque flair. This is one of the few things I feel is missing from the airshow circuit. Look forward to seeing more from "Rifle".

The forward looking video during the consecutive rolls is a very impressive display of keeping the nose on a point. Stick and rudder are busy.

Great presentation.

I can't wait for the day when digital cameras, such as the Contour he uses and is sponsored by, solve that ridiculous propeller view problem. I know to a neophyte watching a video, this must be confusing. It certainly distracts from an otherwise excellent video IMHO.

Joe was my Flight Instructor for my Private back in 2003 prior to him going off to the Air Force. Joe is a great guy and did the first flight on my RV-9A and my RV-10.

Thanks

Ray

Great presentation.

I can't wait for the day when digital cameras, such as the Contour he uses and is sponsored by, solve that ridiculous propeller view problem. I know to a neophyte watching a video, this must be confusing. It certainly distracts from an otherwise excellent video IMHO.

The solution already exists. Higher-quality video cameras that don't use a rolling shutter don't suffer from artifacts like prop warping. But of course, higher quality means higher cost.

In other words, it's not a problem with digital cameras at large, it's a problem with certain types of digital cameras.

1500' AGL and less than a 100 knots for the pull out - great information just to start.

To clarify, He mentioned 1500' as the assumption on the diameter of the Split S to leave yourself, depending on your aerobatic "floor". Starting a Split S at 1500' AGL is surface-level aerobatic territory, which requires the relevant waivers and hopefully the ability as well. 1500' AGL is the legal, non-waivered aerobatic floor. So you would want to stay at least 1500' above the 1500' AGL aerobatic floor (3000' AGL) for a Split S.

And 100KT is a just his recommended number that's fast enough to get decent roll rate without snapping out of the half roll, but also leaves you with a margin under redline at the bottom if your technique is less than perfect. There are no sacred numbers in aerobatics - you can do anything across a fairly wide range of airspeeds, depending on technique, ability, how much you want to stress the plane, and what kind of margin you want to leave yourself. With experience, you'll decide what kind of entry airspeed numbers for various maneuvers work well for your style and comfort level.

Many folks worry about getting as slow as possible before rolling for a Split S, due to concern about airspeed as the bottom. Airspeed on the Split S is controlled by immediately loading the plane to relatively high G after rolling inverted. This will keep the speed down and make for a better looking figure than trying to get as slow as possible before rolling, and then letting the nose fall through slowly, since you really can't pull very hard at such a slow airspeed. Up to a point, you can do a Split S with more speed than you think, but you need to immediately get the G on, also be able to do a half roll to inverted without losing altitude. For most folks in an RV, and without inverted systems, it's going to be a pitch up and roll from fairly low airspeed before pulling through, rather than a level half roll and a perfectly round half loop down competition type of figure.

To clarify, He mentioned 1500' as the assumption on the diameter of the Split S to leave yourself, depending on your aerobatic "floor". Starting a Split S at 1500' AGL is surface-level aerobatic territory, which requires the relevant waivers and hopefully the ability as well. 1500' AGL is the legal, non-waivered aerobatic floor. So you would want to stay at least 1500' above the 1500' AGL aerobatic floor (3000' AGL) for a Split S.

And 100KT is a just his recommended number that's fast enough to get decent roll rate without snapping out of the half roll, but also leaves you with a margin under redline at the bottom if your technique is less than perfect. There are no sacred numbers in aerobatics - you can do anything across a fairly wide range of airspeeds, depending on technique, ability, how much you want to stress the plane, and what kind of margin you want to leave yourself. With experience, you'll decide what kind of entry airspeed numbers for various maneuvers work well for your style and comfort level.

Many folks worry about getting as slow as possible before rolling for a Split S, due to concern about airspeed as the bottom. Airspeed on the Split S is controlled by immediately loading the plane to relatively high G after rolling inverted. This will keep the speed down and make for a better looking figure than trying to get as slow as possible before rolling, and then letting the nose fall through slowly, since you really can't pull very hard at such a slow airspeed. Up to a point, you can do a Split S with more speed than you think, but you need to immediately get the G on, also be able to do a half roll to inverted without losing altitude. For most folks in an RV, and without inverted systems, it's going to be a pitch up and roll from fairly low airspeed before pulling through, rather than a level half roll and a perfectly round half loop down competition type of figure.

Eric,

It was not worded very well, 1500' AGL should have read 1500' to recover. Thanks for the needed clarification.

The rest of your commentary is a good read but the truth is none of us here invented any of it. I did most of this stuff in military training at least 20 years before you were born and then as now, it was a matter of technique. Doing things by the numbers has always been a good recipe in flying.

The video by "Rifle" on RV aerobatic flying was worth mentioning. He is a good instructor on the subject and I hope he survives doing it down low and in front of people.

The rest of your commentary is a good read but the truth is none of us here invented any of it.

David, absolutely right. However, there is a tendency for folks to RE-invent aerobatics when the knowledge base that has been around for decades is not sustained, or folks don't make an effort to seek it out and learn it. It is not always easily accessible or acquired. I just try to pass on what I've learned from those who are much more knowledgeable than myself, as well as much of the same that I've confirmed through my own experience...FWIW.

I did most of this stuff in military training at least 20 years before you were born and then as now, it was a matter of technique.

That means you've just scratched the surface with the basic figures, and still have a lot to learn about aerobatics. I have a lot to learn about aerobatics, too...just like the rest of us here, I'd imagine. I don't think we have any World Aerobatic Champions on VAF.

Doing things by the numbers has always been a good recipe in flying.

No argument there, but a skilled aerobatic pilot adapts their ability to make the airplane perform as needed across a wide range of "numbers". In competition, for example, there are many basic figures that are incorporated within another basic figure for various degrees of complexity that may be done at an airspeed very much different from a stand-alone figure. Sometimes just getting through a sequence requires you to fly the airplane at the edge of its abilities, even if it's on the edge of a stall, whereas you would obviously select a different airspeed if you were simply doing simple one-at-a-time figures. In aerobatics, "by the numbers" is a pretty good approach when first learning figures. The pilot can later work on expanding the "envelope" to extract more performance.

Back