What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RE: High Oil Temp fixed ?

fstringham7a

Well Known Member
RE: High Oil Temp fixed ?

As some may remember I have been working towards getting my ECi IO 360 high oil temps and low oil pressure under control. In this thread I was headed towards a new kicked up oil cooler as part of the solution.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=77317&highlight=hot+oil+temp

New oil cooler from Pacific finally arrived and much time was spent in developing and fabricating a base stand off (stand off #4 cylinder baffle). New oil lines were also purchased. Buttoned it up and did a static run to check for leaks and anyother problems. No Problems so ..... cowled it up the next day, fired it up, and launched with a steady climb while orbiting over the airport to 8500 feet. Temps and pressure were great. I noted that last Oct. 2011 with an OAT of 52 the oil temp was a bit north of 220. At the same OAT and altitude and other engine parameters similar to that October flight the oil temp was just 195 during the test flight. The oil pressure has been very stable in the mid 70's since adding a heavier spring to the oil pressure adjustment.

Second flight yesterday confirmed the test flight numbers.

So it looks good but I still have to wait on that hot SW Utah temps to get here to see if I have really performed some magic?????

I have one more trick up my sleeve when the heat comes if there is still a problem........

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=73164

Alot of thanks to all you VAF engine gurus for advice. Wayne at Pacific cooler was very helpful. Tom at TS Flightlines was just great and went way out of his way to make sure my hoses were correct in all ways along with fitting advice. As a foot note I have made my own hoses in the past but thought I would give Tom a try.......for about the same $$ as I would have paid to make my own I now have some hoses that I really feel comfortable with. Finally the usual 1L8 airport crew helping me to get the job done.

Last edited:
Frank-

Check the temp at lower altitudes---and see if the temps are still down. Suspect they will be.
Tom

Hey Frank,
I don't want to be the bad-news guy, but you'll definitely want to wait for warm weather to find out for sure if this fixed your issue. As you recall, I have the same setup, and the same problem as you. I went from Oil temps of mid-220's to under 210 when I switched to a 10-row oil cooler. I'd still like to lower it 10 more degrees, and I'm running cowl-pressure tests with Dan Horton and Ken Kopp to see if there's an airflow problem.

Oddly enough, when the OAT drops, the oil temps do, too...a lot! I've got 1/2 of my 10-row cooler blocked in the front right now (upper half blocked, lower is open, right next to the #4 cyl. head)...and with OAT of mid-40's I can't get my oil temps up to 175. That was the case with the 7-row cooler, too.

I hope you keep me posted on what you find. We'll be posting an update on VAF in the next few weeks with the pressure data.

RE: I agree

Hi

I agree. Hot temps this summer will tell the story!!!!!. I look forward to your pressure test review. Ain't experimenting fun....:eek:

Frank

Hey Frank,
I don't want to be the bad-news guy, but you'll definitely want to wait for warm weather to find out for sure if this fixed your issue. As you recall, I have the same setup, and the same problem as you. I went from Oil temps of mid-220's to under 210 when I switched to a 10-row oil cooler. I'd still like to lower it 10 more degrees, and I'm running cowl-pressure tests with Dan Horton and Ken Kopp to see if there's an airflow problem.

Oddly enough, when the OAT drops, the oil temps do, too...a lot! I've got 1/2 of my 10-row cooler blocked in the front right now (upper half blocked, lower is open, right next to the #4 cyl. head)...and with OAT of mid-40's I can't get my oil temps up to 175. That was the case with the 7-row cooler, too.

I hope you keep me posted on what you find. We'll be posting an update on VAF in the next few weeks with the pressure data.

When the OAT dips to 45 or below, we also have trouble getting the oil temps up high enough... so last January I made my electric trim servo-operated contraption. Covers up about 85% of the back of the cooler when closed and can get the oil up to 200+ even when the OAT is in the 30's. Having the rocker switch under the panel lets us adjust the door in flight to find a nice happy 180-190 oil temp when it's cold outside.

BTW, we're still occasionally seeing oil temps in the 210-220 range on very hot summer days (e.g., during extended climbs, doing pattern work, etc)

Last year's oil air door thread: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=66901
img4695nf.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Frank,
It's getting warmer...got an update? I went flying today...OAT was mid 70's and I saw the oil temps at 194. Late last summer when the OAT was in the mid 80's I saw my temps hovering around 210. I'm still hoping to make them lower, but so far the only thing I've changed is to seal gaps in my plenum that I found.

Back