What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A beautiful new sculpted -6A panel

pierre smith

Well Known Member
Once in a great while, an artist gets hold of a Lancair panel, cuts it all up and re-glasses it together again, contours it to fit the -6's cowl shape and this is the result:

Tims-6A1.jpg

From the co-pilot's side:

Tims-6A2.jpg

I saw the airplane at Beaufort, S.C. airport yesterday and belongs to my friend, Tim Verroi.

It's amazing what can be done to spiff up those otherwise bland, flat dashes from Van's with a little creativity. He mentioned that this one is one-of-a-kind!

Best,

Its a nice panel, but whats with all those silly round instruments??

Stated in jest yet with my "outdated" round instruments I have been all over the continental USA, Canada (roll out at Piney Pine Creek), Bahamas, Cayman Islands over Cuba and Baja California (Mexico).

Glass does not make the plane fly better.

Nice to see the I-K Technologies engine monitor. They are not a common sight these days. My AIM-2 is going strong after 620 hrs. Pretty panel.

If I'm not mistaken, this is Dr.Norman's airplane (FL) and he built it a LOONG time ago back when I was building my first RV6. He spent a whole lot of of time on that airplane with tons of customization all over it. I visited him one time to review the project and noticed there is quite a number of things on his plane that are quite commonplace now, but at the time he was one of the first (really clean plenum, sealed control surface ends, etc..). It's been a LOOOONG time since I saw that plane, but I remember it well! Anyway, The plane is way above average!

Cheers,
Stein

If I'm not mistaken, this is Dr.Norman's airplane (FL) and he built it a LOONG time ago back when I was building my first RV6. He spent a whole lot of of time on that airplane with tons of customization all over it. I visited him one time to review the project and noticed there is quite a number of things on his plane that are quite commonplace now, but at the time he was one of the first (really clean plenum, sealed control surface ends, etc..). It's been a LOOOONG time since I saw that plane, but I remember it well! Anyway, The plane is way above average!

Cheers,
Stein

You are correct sir. But its my plane now. I purchased it from him recently. It was finished in 2002 and won Grand Champion awards at Oshcosh and Sun n Fun..or something like that. He spent 6 and a half years building it. He was almost in tears talking to me about it all a week or so ago.

I seem to find something special about it everytime I get in it. It just makes you feel good flying behind that kind of workmanship. Its a phenominal build in every way. Its so beautifully done that I cant help but to look back at it again and again and again as I walk away. Its magnetic!!. What even more amaziing is that underneath the cowling looks as good as the cockpit. All painted, all polished everything perfectly placed..perfectly done and painted carbon fiber plenum...mirrored baffleing...Uterly amazing!...and get this, ONLY 200hrs. Its a rocket ship...I'm in love.

Tango

Cheers,
Stein

You are correct sir. But its my plane now. I purchased it from him recently. It was finished in 2002 and won Grand Champion awards at Oshcosh and Sun n Fun..or something like that. He spent 6 and a half years building it. He was almost in tears talking to me about it all a week or so ago.

I seem to find something special about it everytime I get in it. It just makes you feel good flying behind that kind of workmanship. Its a phenominal build in every way. Its so beautifully done that I cant help but to look back at it again and again and again as I walk away. Its magnetic!!. What even more amaziing is that underneath the cowling looks as good as the cockpit. All painted, all polished everything perfectly placed..perfectly done and painted carbon fiber plenum...mirrored baffleing...Uterly amazing!...and get this, ONLY 200hrs. Its a rocket ship...I'm in love.

Tango

I've wondered what became of that plane. I spent some time with Dr. Norman (met his family) in 2002 and ran into him again in 2003 on a RV trip to Tampa (flew a little formation with him on the departure flight out of Tampa).

It is indeed a pretty plane. And it is interesting to see how state of the RV art has changed in ten years!

Tango

You know what they say.......I picture is worth a thousand words. That would mean that 10 pics would be worth..........hmmm, well you do the math. Post some more pics. It would be a nice tribute to the builder as well. One thing we value here is true craftsmanship.

You know what they say.......I picture is worth a thousand words. That would mean that 10 pics would be worth..........hmmm, well you do the math. Post some more pics. It would be a nice tribute to the builder as well. One thing we value here is true craftsmanship.

I have some nice ones that I would like to post but I just dont know how to get the pics posted like Peirre did. I can load them up in image shack with a link but I just dont know how to get them to post like everybody else does. If you give me some step by step directions to make it happen I will. They are something to see.

Tango

Congrats on your purchase. Jim did a nice job on the plane. I remember it from my first trip to Sun 'n Fun....he was parked a few rows over from my RV. Jim's plane won Best Low Wing at the show. DR hisself' made the announcement:

http://www.vafarchive.com/msg/vaf/t2003097001

Tango

I have some nice ones that I would like to post but I just dont know how to get the pics posted like Peirre did. I can load them up in image shack with a link but I just dont know how to get them to post like everybody else does. If you give me some step by step directions to make it happen I will. They are something to see.

Tango

I have a ton of pictures of that thing being built, but they are all on paper/film....gives you an idea how long ago it was that I took them. I'll see if I can dig them up for you. I plagarized many of his ideas at the time, but my plane paled in comparison (though I too had the best steam gauges money could buy)!

Congrats on the purchase of a truly exceptional plane built by a really good guy....enjoy it!

Cheers,
Stein

PS..nice to see Rick up and about. Hope your recovery is going ok....

Back