What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need the Readers Digest version of :How to Silver Solder a fitting

McFly

Well Known Member
I need to solder a fitting to copper primmer line. I am told by the engine manufacturer to use silver solder.

1) Where can I get silver solder?
2) Do you need to use flux?
3) Is this just like sweating a copper pipe using a butane tourch

Any tips or tricks of the trade appreciated. Thanks.

Soldering primer lines

McFly said:
I need to solder a fitting to copper primmer line. I am told by the engine manufacturer to use silver solder.

1) Where can I get silver solder?
2) Do you need to use flux?
3) Is this just like sweating a copper pipe using a butane tourch

Any tips or tricks of the trade appreciated. Thanks.

First let me say that I've never soldered a primer line. But I have done some silver soldering.

You can get silver solder at most plumbing supply stores. Also air conditioning repair places wil have it. It will most likely be in "stick" form. 15% silver will work good.

You need to use flux. It needs to be the proper type for the metals to be joined.

It's a lot like soldering copper pipe, but requires a higher temperature. The parts need to be at least a dull red for the silver solder to flow correctly.
A regular propane torch should work for these small lines. MapGas would be better.

When you do it right the solder will flow into the joint by capillary action, just like soldering copper pipe.

The joint area needs to be really clean. Use emery cloth.

The silver solder is super strong!

Good luck.
Mark

Last edited:
Back