What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Corrosion?

Av8torTom

Well Known Member
I've been storing my HS from the ceiling of my garage for about a year. When I pulled it down this morning I saw this on the upper surface
db4f096d.jpg

It won't wipe off or wash off. Comes off easily with a little rubbing compound.
Should I leave this? Is it OK to compound off? Thoughts?

Thanks,

Tom

Last edited:
I've run into this polishing planes for customers years ago. I would wash it off with a aluminum prep then polish. Going this route you will know for sure all surface corrosion is gone before prepping and painting.

Last edited:
I had the same thing since; but I assumed it was due to my build being stretched over 8 years and the parts were stored in some humid Hawaiian weather. I was surprised to see it since the 2024 alcad on the surface should be T-0 (annealed and not suceptable to corrosion). Scotchbrite or some other physical process seems best. Don't do what I did and next apply WD40 to the surface because it can seep into the rivet to skin gap and may not not be completely removed during the painting prep processes. Paint doesn't like WD40.

I agree

Greg - I'm even hesitant to use rubbing compound for that reason. There's no silicone in it, but there is mineral oil. I just finished the left wing and I'm now concerned the same will happen to it. Is there anything I can do to prevent it?

Maybe the RV Community has some suggestions

I don't know how to prevent it-other than leave the plastic on as long as possible. Perhaps the question should really be: Is it doing any harm? Most oxides form a protective barrier to prevent more corrosion--problem solved.
I would defer to someone smarter than me to confirm this for our Alclad sheets. Anyone?

Greg - I'm even hesitant to use rubbing compound for that reason. There's no silicone in it, but there is mineral oil. I just finished the left wing and I'm now concerned the same will happen to it. Is there anything I can do to prevent it?

Sure is, Acid wash it with Alumiprep, Alodine and prime it NOW. Problem solved...

Or wipe it down with some Boeshield, ACF-50, Corrosion X, or LPS 3, that should prevent any futher progression until you get around to painting.

Paint?

Walt,

All of those products sounds like they are also lubricants. Won't they interfere with future paint adhesion?

Most paint shops clean, etch, alodine and clean again, the only thing I'm aware of that the paint shops hate, is silicone.

Alodine 1001

Maybe I'll use Alodine 1001. Don't want to fly around with a gold tail while I'm waiting to paint :D

Neverdull

You could try some Neverdull (sp?) metal polish. It comes in small cans of wadding with impregnated polish. It worked on my flaps after my dishwasher leaked and dribbled on stuff in the basement. You should be able to find it in your local hardware store.

Did you paint?

Hey John, thanks for the suggestion. As I mentioned, it comes off easily with a little rubbing compound. My question is will this interfere with paint adhesion in future. The HS is now being stored inside, so I don't expect any future corrosion. Did you paint your flaps yet? Any issues where you used the Neverdull?

Back