What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Well...

Jerry Fischer

Well Known Member
N364SJ defied gravity for the first time today.
Many,many thanks to all the folks who supported the effort.
Dave Henderson another RV-7 driver, made the first flight and said it climbed very well, and flew hands off.
Unfortunately I will have to part with "Miss Sandy",after I fly the 40 hours off of her due to the costs involved. Sometimes life bites, but it was a fun, frustrating, and eventually a completed project. So maybee I'll just get a Champ and enjoy flying the old fashioned way, stick/rudder, and by the seat of my pants.
Later

Jerry,

Great job getting her in the air. Bummer you are going to sell.

BTW, these are great numbers:
Jerry said:
RV7
First flight Dec 2, 2011
Flew hands off, empty weight 987 #
O-360 fixed Sensenich carbureted

That was three pounds lighter than my -9 with the O-290-D2 up front and you have a metal prop. She must climb and handle really well!

Congratulations Jerry!

Sorry you have to sell her but you'll never regret this accomplishment. Completing an airplane is a very very big deal!!

Congratulations

Congratulations Jerry. Maybe you'll hit the lottery before the 40 hours is up. I hope so.

Isn't that a very light empty weight for a 7? Are there any big items that saved weight or was it just lots of small items?

Thanks...

For all your support, VAF, Rocket Bob for his "carb" off of the 6, and many many more folks who were ready to assist with parts, pieces, advice, council, warnings, encouragement, and just plain good humor.:D
I will try and post some pictures later this weekend, still an issue with the flaps not deploying on a regular basis:(, and for some reason I hooked up the starter solonoid, start wiring from the ignition switch to the pitot heat breaker????Must have been another one of those long days.Later

Last edited:
Great to hear about the completion Jerry!

You know, it's a funny thing about airplanes and money. When I built my -8, I had a Yankee, and the plan was to sell the Yankee when I needed to buy an engine for the -8. I was sure I'd be without an airplane for a year. Then somehow, when I needed the engine, the money was there after all, and I was able to keep flying the Yankee through the first flight of the -8. Bottom line....you just never know what is going to happen in the future, so keep your options open as long as possible!

Paul

Congratulations, Jerry

Glad you "got er done" ---- hope to see you at KCLW when you get down this way.

Ron Simonton

Congratulations Jerry. Maybe you'll hit the lottery before the 40 hours is up. I hope so.

Isn't that a very light empty weight for a 7? Are there any big items that saved weight or was it just lots of small items?

Just the basic instruments, no paint, light on interior primer, tried to go with what worked, that's pretty much it.:p

Back