What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Play date with an RV-7

You should be ashamed of yourself, someone needs to report you for having too much fun.:mad:
And me stuck with an RV12 that cannot do all that.

Nice, and I hope you don't mind a couple of comments - I know you aren't trying for competition style aerobatics but it looks like you are kicking a bit early on the hammer, and why do you hammer to the right? P factor, slipstream and engine torque makes hammers to the left much easier with your engine rotation direction, it would turn faster as well.

No criticism meant, but I teach aerobatics. Very glad to see people enjoying themselves!

Nice job with the editing; it's amazing how much time it takes to get a lot of footage into a short ADHD-friendly length video. One thing I try to do with the videos I make is if I'm putting the video to music, timing the end of the video to coincide with the end of the music. I try to avoid an abrupt end to the music with another minute of good footage left. Sometimes this means taking out good footage, and other times it means adding more music. I know, I'm all mean and critical but you asked. ;) Your 7 looks great though and is a real motivator for me to do a good job on mine as well.

Thanks for the comments fellas.

In Primary this year I didn't have to do any stall turns. In Sportsman I think I have to. I haven't done a lot of them and don't know why I keep doing them to the right, I'll practice more to the left as it does take a bit of time to rotate.

It does take a lot of editing to cut down 30 minutes of video to 4 min. I probably should have cut out the house fly-by stuff to make the video end with the song. I didn't have a nice song to transition to so I let the sound of engine finish things off.

The strip is a 2000 foot grass one. I approach at 70 knots IAS and full flaps. At the threshold I power back to idle and hold it till the mains touch. There have been times though when that runway gets eaten up quickly and I get spooked. I've done several go arounds when things don't feel good. Better than ending up in bale:)

Darren

Last edited:
Very cool Darren! I'm glad you are with the IAC, it's a great group, and you will learn a lot, and most importantly, will learn how to fly aerobatics with safety paramount.

Find another competitor willing to critique you from the ground, it's the only way to find out how close to vertical or the 45 you are, and when to kick on the hammer, stuff like that. A lot of chapters have practice days where you can spend all day flying and critiquing each other. It's great fun and you will learn a lot of tips on presentation.

Be safe, keep the movies coming, I probably won't be flying in mine until a couple of years from now!

Hi Darren,

Thanks for the video upload, it is great. I too just recently got a GoPro for my birthday and have been learning how to edit video. I have recently posted a few to youtube, here is one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtiRaiZjvlg

P.S. I'm no Kirby Chambliss and I don't do comps. I just like to fly for fun.

Regards,

Something's messed up with my video. It doesn't load from iPads or iphones. The video seems to be viewable from all other computers.

It says "the author of this video (me) doesn't permit viewing on this device" or something like that.

I didn't intentionally put any restriction on the video, but it's there.

I can't find any settings on YouTube to correct this. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Darren

Observations

Hi Darren and Mark

Both great videos.

One of the things that impressed me about Darren was the good lookout he made before each manoeuvre.

Darren, nice to see some more video!

In Sportsman I think I have to.

For sure!

I haven't done a lot of them and don't know why I keep doing them to the right...

Maybe because with the stick in your left hand it's a little more natural to turn your head to the right than to the left. Try flying from the right seat with the stick in your right hand as god intended. :D

I'll practice more to the left as it does take a bit of time to rotate.

Don't practice more to the left, practice them all to the left! ...that is until you upgrade to a Yak or Sukhoi. :D It'll make your life much easier. You just won't get a good looking pivot to the right. You can see how the plane just sorta hung there until it started falling sideways and the relative wind flopped the nose toward the ground. The Pitts won't hammer to the right at all with full power. As mentioned, get some ground critiquing so you can learn how the plane feels at the precise moment it's time to pivot. This is probably the hardest thing to initially learn about the hammer...and the cues are very aircraft-specific. Some airplanes will buffet a bit at a certain vertical airspeed. Most pilots in high-performance planes gauge the timing by the amount of aileron and right rudder it takes to control torque roll and slipstream yaw as vertical speed slows. By the time you reach a certain amount of deflection, you know it's time to pivot. You just need to learn what it is for your plane. It's a very consistent method once you get a feel for it. As you probably already know, the ASI is pretty much useless! Have fun.

Last edited:
Hi again Eric,

Thanks for chiming in. You were of great help to me this past year when I dove in to the wonderful world of aerobatics this past year.

Come next year I will hook up again with some of the aerobatic community and get the needed ground critiquing. For now I'll practice solo and hopefully not develop too many bad habits:)

I am undecided on an inverted oil system or as I read here on VAF, using a pre oiler canister to shoot some oil into the engine if the pressure drops.

Sportsman doesn't have any longer inverted segments than Primary and I really don't think that I am harming anything with the quick inverted 45 that is needed on the 1/2 Cubans.

So maybe I'll just put in a smoke system over the winter and forego the inverted system. What are your thoughts?

Darren

So maybe I'll just put in a smoke system over the winter and forego the inverted system. What are your thoughts?

Smoke would be fun! As long as you've got potential oil loss managed, no need to modify your oil system for Sportsman level acro if you're only concerned with hurting engine...you're not, given the very short exposure to negative G. So you don't NEED it if you're focused on Sportsman competition, but only if you want to mess around with inverted flight/spins/pushes, etc. would you need it. As far as competition goes, you wouldn't actually NEED inverted fuel/oil until moving up to Intermediate. But then, you might want something besides an RV at this point anyway.

Back