What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

One for you, One for me, ... ifr

scard

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Today the weather wasn't perfect for the aviator looking for clear blue skies, however it was perfect for us. We were in search of actual IMC and a pocket full of approaches to reinforce our absolute sharpness. We found just that with an added fun factor of plenty of turbulence. Nothing major, just enough to keep you very honest since if you let go of the airplane for a second, it definitely gets tossed. After fueling, we don't leave any fuel behind even on this kind of little hop, we got a local IFR out of our home airport; "Georgetown ground, 4822C would like a local IFR round-robin via Temple for multiple approaches. We are type RV9/G, two souls, 4hrs. fuel with information india ready to taxi from the pumps." ... "4822C is cleared to the Georgetown airport via radar vectors, direct Temple, direct. Climb maintain 3000', expect 5000' in 10 minutes, departure on 119.0, squawk 1234." and off we went.

The ceiling was actually pretty high, above 2000'. The air was thick and soupy with visibility around 4mi. We got handed off to Gray Approach as usual and settled into a relationship with the controller that is responsible for IFR traffic at Temple. Tanya flew the departure and the first ILS approach into Temple. We were in the clouds all day as we came up off of each approach. A dirty little secret when you're flying a bunch of approaches with your best partner: If you can convince them to fly the departure and first arrival approach, the airplane will be all setup and configured with appropriate frequencies and even a nice cozy relationship with the controller as you go around for another lap. Easy cheesy ;).

So she got things all setup, ILS identified, all nav solutions running, and was copying down the missed approach clearance instructions before our first vector turn outbound, when a big BUMP launched the pencil right out of her hand onto the floor in front of us, just out of reach. I did say it was bumpy right? Without any requirement for "luck", as we do, I was also copying down the clearance, even though I was just crew on a single pilot aircraft. I completed copying the clearance and handed her my pencil without missing a beat. Of course we have backup pencils (and pilots) close at hand usually. This flight was bumpy enough to where the pilots were performing significantly better than the autopilot.

This is about the time that we are both just exuding that feeling of "this is FUN!", really. So we traded back and forth on each pass, two ILS approaches each. By then, we're about done. I got the last one and the trip back home with the GPS approach back into Georgetown. All of the controllers were great, except for the one that flew Tanya right through and beyond the localizer on one lap. Back home I greased it back onto the runway of course. We proceeded to open up one of the seat pans to replace the last of our first generation Ray Allen trim relays that was going TU with a new one.

We debrief these flights the same as any other critical flight. I've yet to see a flight that wasn't critical when my butt was going xx knots at greater than 0' agl. The one good reminder from the debrief is to bark loud and early when the controller is obviously going to fly you through the localizer. There was no reason. He was just a little busy. Very minor deal in this case, but also very evident on the aprs track.

Oh, and just to tie into another thread currently on topic, after some Tex-Mex for lunch on the way home, I was completely zonked out on the couch for 45min. once we got home. This flight pooped me out. Multiple approaches usually do.

167qza9.jpg

Last edited:
IMC trng

Good job on keeping those perishable skills sharp. I see you stayed well clear of my old stomping grounds, Ft Hood, home of the mighty First Cavalry Div.

My son and I came back from K26 in NW Missouri yesterday. IMC from right after take-off until 5 miles from home (GA04). It was 32 and drizzling on the ground when fueling, so I was very cautious and anxious about any flight in the clouds. But as soon as we took off and started climbing, so did the OAT. :)
We started at 5K', then 7K'. Got into some good bumps (moderate to severe at times) and rain as we went through different bands of weather. Winds aloft were really high (50 knots) out of the South; hence the warm temps. We kept climbing until the temps hit 34 degrees at 13K'. It was then interesting to watch the temps oscillate between 31 and 33. We got ice at 31, and then it would melt at 33, just like advertised. It was a much smoother ride at 13K, so we stayed there for about an hour, and once the temps stabilized at 31 I asked for lower and got that immediately. The 10 is sure a nice capable airplane, but I enjoyed the trip out on Friday in the clear blue a whole lot more. :) And the paint job got a couple of scars on it from the heavy, cold rain. :(

Vic

My son and I came back from K26 in NW Missouri yesterday. IMC from right after take-off until 5 miles from home (GA04). It was 32 and drizzling on the ground when fueling, so I was very cautious and anxious about any flight in the clouds. But as soon as we took off and started climbing, so did the OAT. :)
We started at 5K', then 7K'. Got into some good bumps (moderate to severe at times) and rain as we went through different bands of weather. Winds aloft were really high (50 knots) out of the South; hence the warm temps. We kept climbing until the temps hit 34 degrees at 13K'. It was then interesting to watch the temps oscillate between 31 and 33. We got ice at 31, and then it would melt at 33, just like advertised. It was a much smoother ride at 13K, so we stayed there for about an hour, and once the temps stabilized at 31 I asked for lower and got that immediately. The 10 is sure a nice capable airplane, but I enjoyed the trip out on Friday in the clear blue a whole lot more. :) And the paint job got a couple of scars on it from the heavy, cold rain. :(

Vic

Yikes. That trip would have been way beyond our capability/comfort. We would have been just sitting there on the ground due to temps.

Vic

This may sound strange but you guys make me very envious.

I have been looking forward to some good yet safe IMC flying and we had it this weekend with the exception of freezing level was just too low.

It is good to see your OAT is being so accurate, I will start picking up ice when I show around 33 or maybe even 34.

when you fly 'out in the boon docks' you can get just about anything you want. cleared direct RV......

Sorry, but I don't understand why you would look for IMC conditions in a single engine just for fun. I personally find that a little reckless.
Just my opinion...

Sorry, but I don't understand why you would look for IMC conditions in a single engine just for fun. I personally find that a little reckless.
Just my opinion...

Obviously you are entitled, and obviously I completely disagree. I believe that training for whatever you choose to call normal operations in actual conditions is highly valuable. Everybody's definition of normal operations differs, some by a little, some by a lot. Heck, you wouldn't find me on that flight that Vic described because "cold" is not normal for me.

Guys, just for the record, for the flight I described we were never really ever pushing the limits of the airplane or the pilot. I won't do that. Nothing to prove here. We took off into VFR conditions, not entering the clouds until 2K' AGL. By that time the temps were 8 degress to the positive over what were saw on the ground and gave me the confidence to poke into the clouds. Clearly a little bit of an inversion, and especially with the winds at 50-60kts from the SOUTH, it was only getting warmer. After we became IMC we watched the weather very closely on the XM, as well as being glued to the OAT. We had outs planned, both vertically and horizontally. While the bumps were uncomfortable at times, mostly due to anticipation of bumps that never occurred (one violent bump can do that to you!), it was an enjoyable ride.
It was interesting that my son, who is a student pilot, and for whom I was concerned it might not be an enjoyable flight, made the comment that he enjoyed it and that I made it look easy.
As for single engine IFR, we may as well discuss religion and politics. I received grief for years from my airline-pilot neighbor about flying single engine IFR night and single engine IMC. It was real easy for him to point fingers while flying his Boeing. As soon as he retired I started watching him fly single engine IMC and night regularly in his Mooney! At times I think we forget that probably 99% of us learned in single engine airplanes. Certainly there are limits, both for the pilot and the airplane. But we should be careful with the broad brush. Heck the airplane doesn't know it's night.
And since we build our own airplanes, you can add a light to the engine compartment and wire it to the nav lights. Then the engine will thinks it's still daytime. :)
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Vic

Back