What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Eagle's Nest RV-12 update

videobobk

Well Known Member
Friend
The RV-12 is really taking shape, and everything is going along pretty much on schedule. Yesterday we attached the tailcone, so everyone wants to hop in and start making airplane noises. Not until I have had my chance! The workmanship is great, and it has been inspected by three guys from our FSDO. They were quite happy with it, and sent a very nice letter of congratulations on the project.

Friends of RV-1 are acquiring the finished product. I couldn't be happier about that! It will be used for flight instruction for other kids in building programs like ours. Speaking of that, we are actively talking to at least two other groups about starting RV-12s.

Most of you know about out website, mykitlog.com/bobkelly but I am listing it again for those who may have missed it. Also, in conjunction with Friends of RV-1 and other projects, we have launched a monthly newsletter. It is just to keep everyone up on what is going on with student projects, and who is getting involved. If you would like to subscribe, PM me you e-mail address. Also let us know if

We were "kicked out" of our classroom last week. Seems the school realized that the growing airplane would have to move to the airport, due to the size of the classroom doors. They moved us down the hall to a room with a large overhead door. How's that for cooperation? If any of you want to stop by and see our project, you are more than welcome.

Bob

I must be missing something here!

Friends of RV-1 are acquiring the finished product. I couldn't be happier about that! It will be used for flight instruction for other kids in building programs like ours. Speaking of that, we are actively talking to at least two other groups about starting RV-12s.

What am I misunderstanding? The RV-12 can be certificated as an experimental amateur-built or experimental light-sport aircraft. Neither of these can be used for flight training.

Bob,
I'll give you a call after Thanksgiving to come and visit the RV-12 school project. You are doing great things there!

I must be missing something too

What am I misunderstanding? The RV-12 can be certificated as an experimental amateur-built or experimental light-sport aircraft. Neither of these can be used for flight training.

I'm trying to understand what you are saying Mel. I guess it is that one can't normally charge for the use of aircraft in those categories. Many people have received much flight training in exp ab aircraft. Some have gotten their private licenses and I know several, including my friend Louise Hose that received flight instruction for their instrument ratings in experimental amateur-built RVs.

I guess my point is that one can receive instruction in their own aircraft, and an individual can give instruction without compensation to another.

However, I think putting an aircraft out there for the purpose of giving instruction, while maybe within the letter of the rule, is somewhat pushing the intent of the rule.

They can if the training is being given away to kids for free by a non-profit organization that owns the airplane.

More correctly, neither of these can be used for PAID flight training--I should have been more clear. I have gone over this with the FAA and I have in writing that there is no problem. Friends of RV-1 is a 501(c)(3) and that does make a difference. Actually, the FAA (at least at our FSDO) is quite excited about the prospect and has been very helpful. They aren't too excited about the pilot population aging, either. Something about job security. If you would like, I can put you on the mailing list for the newsletter as I am sure we will have to explain this more completely soon. This whole program is expanding beyond my wildest dreams. We have almost 1/4th of our EAA chapter member aircraft builders who are too young to drive! I expect to announce other project start-ups soon.

Bob

Wow! When we get a member in our chapter who is under 70 we feel like we are robbing the cradle!

We have almost 1/4th of our EAA chapter member aircraft builders who are too young to drive! I expect to announce other project start-ups soon.

Bob

Quick update:

We have the wings and tail painted, and have the finish kit in-house for the start of school after Christmas Break. Things are moving along pretty much per plan. I would say that the workmanship is perhaps better than expected--there were only four dings to fill during the paint prep. We are on target for the JCHS Open House, February 8th.

There is now a newsletter for anyone interested in student-built aircraft. Send me your e-mail address to get on the list. Support from Van's and Friends of RV-1 has made a great difference. Looking to the future, we have several local schools interested in doing this, and also several in other states. I hope to be able to announce one that is VERY unusual quite soon.

Thanks for all your interest. Any donations can be sent through Friends of RV-1, Eagle's Nest Project, and you are assured of a tax deduction.

Bob

Last edited:
Back