What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight N468RV

drill_and_buck

Well Known Member
Patron
On Sunday morning, 11/13/2011, after 7 and a half years of building N468RVand I "slipped the surly bonds of earth and danced the skies on laughter silvered wings". I was ready, the plane was ready and the day was ready. It all came together rather nicely.

The plane flew just like Van said it would! Simply amazing.

The grin:
first%252520flight%252520complete.JPG

The front office:
rv8panelview.jpg

A few notes:

About getting ready....
Two weeks ago I flew out to Vernonia, Oregon for transition training with Mike Seager. I would consider this a must for any and all pilots. Note that Vans provides the plane below cost to make this training very affordable.

A few comments about the plane....
TMX O360 from Mattituck
Hartzel BF CS
Dual pmags
Vetterman exhaust with mufflers
Todd's canopy
Grove gear, Bell tail wheel
Dual Dynons, SL30, Trio AP, AFS AOA, AVMAP Gizmo docking station, PS Intercom, Flightline Interior seats (heated) and side panels, Hooker 5 point harness.
1120 pounds empty weight

First landing
I bought a case of bottled water that weight ~38 pounds and strapped it into the rear baggage compartment.
First landing was a three pointer, no wind condition and was a greaser.
Second landing was in a 7kt direct crosswind and was not a greaser.

Only a few minor squawks, the plane is everything I dreamed about and more.

First flight would never have happened were it not for the support of the RV community, family and good friends.

Fly safe,

Mike

Last edited:
Congrats, Mike! Let me be the first to say ...

WE WANT TO SEE PICTURES! :D

Nice to hear that all went well. Forget the second landing ... just remember the first.

Congratulations. We have something in common. It took me 7-1/2 years to finish my RV-9A. Just remember what a wise man told me, You're NEVER finished. :)

Congrats!

Great inspiration for those of us still building. Enjoy your plane--and let's see some pics-plane & that RV grin!

Steve
Skyking902001
RV-8 in progress

Still RV Grinning

Mike.... Big time congrats. I beat you by exactly 2 weeks but I want you to know that the RV Grin has not faded.

Good luck and be careful in Phase 1.

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike, way to go.:D

I have to add my recommendation for Mike Seager also, well worth it for the new RV pilot.

Have fun with the fly off time.

congrats !

The 8 ! What else ?

Enjoy your Phase one testing and learn all that you can about YOUR aircraft.

I did it last year and I'm always grinning ;o)

Congrats!!!

Cool! A little competition! The 8's are catching up to the number of 7's!

Have fun in phase one Mike!

Of course.....dress warm! I did my phase one this time of year and froze my buttisimo off! Yeah...I think that's Itailian :eek:

Way To Go!!!

Mike, all the best and extremely well done!!

As a side note regarding Mike, we live close to each other and I met him 6 yrs ago at our EAA club. Although not building an RV and before I had my kit Mike graciously invited me to his garage and showed me what airplane building was all about, bucking rivets, electrical wiring, avionics...you name it. His passion ignited mine...congratulations to a really GOOD GUY!!!

Way to go!!!!!

Glad you got your first done. By the way the hand held uses AAA batteries.

See you in the wild blue

Congrats!!!

Back