What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TruTrak Auto Trim

Ivan Kristensen

Well Known Member
I recently installed the TruTrak Auto Trim module. Now after having had several flights with this new system I can report to the group that this is a well worth while feature to add to an already great Auto Pilot.

The installation and ground testing was pretty straight forward. The only thing I would caution you about is to make sure that the dip switch is set to move the elevator trim tabs in the correct direction.

Here is a link to more pictures, http://www.ivankristensen.phanfare.com/5352232

TT_AutoTrim_1200.jpg

Are you using the yaw dampener, by any chance? I'll be installing one but I'd love to get a preview of how it's working for someone.

Are you using the yaw dampener, by any chance? I'll be installing one but I'd love to get a preview of how it's working for someone.

I've talked to about as many flying RV-10 builders as I could at the RV-10 HQ at OSH over the last couple of years. The end result was that I was talked out of putting in the yam dampner right away.

I was primarily interested becuase my wife is very sensitive and get's motion sickness quite easily.

I may install it if my wife has problems. But that's aways off at the moment.

bob

I considered to put one of these in my RV7A but it is very seldom that I need to adjust the trim, so it would come in use hardly ever for me. As I understand it, the trim adjustment will not come to play for minor adjustments but only when the out of trim indication comes on.

Last edited:
I considered to put one of these in my RV7A but it is very seldom that I need to adjust the trim, so it would come in use hardly ever for me. As I understand it, the trim adjustment will not come to play for minor adjustments but only when the out of trim indication comes on.

Actually I believe it is the opposite, the Auto trim does adjust for minor out of trim situations. I have checked several times now and each time when I disconnect the AP the airplane is in perfect trim.

It has been my experience during long xcountry flights that the scroll bar indicator on the AP will get you close but to get a perfectly trimmed plane I have had to disconnect the AP and manually trim and then re-connect.

Yaw damp?

No I am not using a Yaw dampener on this plane and I don't believe I will. However, most of the corporate airplanes I have flown had Yaw Dampeners and they are very nice when the work...

Have one in my -8 and it works great. Hit the AP disconnect and the airplane keeps flying level. Not a moment's trouble with it.

yaw dampener

:eek: THAT sounded ominous.

Keep in mind that when I made that statement I was referring to old Navajo's, 300 and 400 series Cessna's all built in the 70's and 80's you were lucky when everything was working in those. Ahh, the good old days!!:D

I have the Trio with auto trim and it works great. You can set the trim speed to vary with air speed; you can also use it manually when the servos are not engaged.

I have it set to run very slowly at cruise speeds, and I use it for fine trim adjustments when hand flying.

Back