What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

rph142

Well Known Member
Dang, I really though it would come in lighter than that. Its a pretty basic -3, no autopilot or electric trims, .5lb mgl comm, lightweight stewart system paint and a Catto prop. I guess my engine is probably a few pounds heavier than most as it has 0-360 case with provisions for a cs prop. And the inverted oil and ancient king transponder dont help, but dang. The seat and roll bar probably account for 10 pounds and my oil cooler is 30% larger than stock, but dang.

But it's really pretty

Looks like a few coats of paint....;)

Enjoy it, she'll fly better than she looks and she looks beautiful!!!

Don't worry Rob - I am quite sure ours will be heavier by a non-trivial amount! Randy L's was 889 I believe, and he loved it. No one seems to have a good handle on the weight difference between the -3 and -3B wings, but I am suspecting that it is significant.

Paul

dang

....trying to find the Aussie slang for dang but doesn't come to mind right now, so I will have to use your slang and say"dang that's beaut 3...." congratulations on the ingenuity of the paint job

The new wing design must weigh 50lbs more than the old design based on the empty weights listed on Randys registry site. I am also using old bendix mags that are probably 7 pounds each. I see a pair of P-mags in my future..:D

Maybe ill seal up the wings and pump them full of hydrogen - that should be good for a pound, right?

That is one beautiful aircraft! I wished I looked that good and wished I were "just a few pounds over spec". Enjoy the fruits of you labor!

Paint?

How did you like Stewart Systems paint? Looks nice and glossy. This must be the Ekocoat right? Water clean up sure does sound nice!

I know what the problem is...

Rob,
As a professional CAD drafter, I can tell you for a fact that the more notes you put on a drawing, the more your file size increases. So there's your problem...all the notes in your "Preview Plans" paint scheme are increasing your "file size"! :eek:

My professional advice might be to suggest "compressing your files", but the 3 is already about as small as they come..... :D

It sure is a beauty. Nice job!

Dang!!!!

Crickey!!!!
Kryky!!!!
Krikey!!!!

Reminds me of the crocodile hunter; Steve Irwin.

Geeeez.....don't know how to spell "cry-key".

Ozzie for Dang

....trying to find the Aussie slang for dang but doesn't come to mind right now

"Struth mate! thats a beaut......."

To all Americans, don't ask where it came from. It doesn't even make sense to us Australians.

'bout time you got it finished.. Looks VERY nice... now you just need a -4 to take "she who must be obeyed" along...;)

Love the plane and Great work!

Production and assembly drawings are big part of my life. I can certainly appreciate the paint!

I say add a note that states the estimated/calculated assembly weight that you want and see if that helps.

Isn't that how the book engineers do it?

Back