What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

POLL: Chutes on Test Flights

Did you wear a parachute on the first test flight of an RV?

• YES

Votes: 25 17.9%
  • NO

Votes: 115 82.1%

• Total voters

rv7boy

Forum Peruser
This question is for those who have already flown an RV on its first test flight.

EDIT: OK, some explanation is in order. The reason I started this poll is because it was suggested in an RV-12 thread. Someone over there posted that he thought test pilots of RV's always wear parachutes on the first test flight. I don't think they do ("they" since "I" haven't flown a test flight...yet!). Now, I hope I haven't biased this poll by stating my opinion, but I don't think I have. I thought it would be a simple poll, but maybe there aren't very many among us who have made the first flight.

Also, we're not talking about getting out of an RV...just did you wear a parachute on that first test flight.

AND...we're not asking if you are going to wear a parachute. Just, "Did you?"

Last edited:
I don't see how I would have gotten out of an RV-10 alive. In addition, I've never skydived, so a failed test flight is not where I should learn.

I might wear one when I test fly the -7. I quite comfortable going down with the ship if it comes to that; I'd only want a parachute in very few circumstances.

considering that your first flight will probably be relatively low to the ground 2500-3000' and all other factors, one wonders if it is of any use.

I suppose the case for fire would be the strongest argument for having a chute, if you can get out in time.

I wore one and will again. If I *need* to get out you better believe I'm going to fight to the end to find a way to get out. It's an easy option to include in planning, testing, and flight ops, and I can't imagine doing real testing without a 'chute.

The RV line of planes is a proven design. A chute is not needed IMHO, if it was a new design then it would be a good idea.

the guy who did the test flights of my rv has done many first flights, on many different type of planes. he has had in flight emergencies and has always landed and not tried to bail out. my vote was for him. to chute or not to chute, that is the question. it will be interesting to see if this gets OT.

First g-clearance, aerobatic tests

I did not on my first test flight. But on about flight 5, I did the envelop expansion out to 6 g's at solo weight, and I wore a parachute. Then at about 20 hrs, it was time to do all the aerobatic maneuvers for phase I, and I wore a chute for those flights.

I did not on my first test flight. But on about flight 5, I did the envelop expansion out to 6 g's at solo weight, and I wore a parachute. Then at about 20 hrs, it was time to do all the aerobatic maneuvers for phase I, and I wore a chute for those flights.

I did the same as Mr. Smith. Chute for 6 gs and aerobatic maneuvers but not any other time.

I did for my first three flights, all made in the same day.

My fear was fire. If I smelled smoke or Tad Sargent called fire, I was out.

However, on the first flight with the second engine (O-360), I did not wear a chute.

chute on test flight

one first in one day was enough. i was testing an airplane, and tho i had full confidence it would fly just fine, i didn't want to test a parachute too if it didn't!

I did, and I've never jumped...from what I've read, the emergency 'chutes are made to open even if you're tumbling. That was reassuring. I also replaced my canopy bolts with pip-pins, so that thing was coming off if it needed to!

I grew up racing sailplanes so most of my flying has been with a parachute. In soaring, parachutes are common and required for SSA sanctioned contests. It's not unusual to share a tight thermal with 5-10 other pilots so you can imagine the opportunity for a mid air collision. One of my friends survived a bail out.

If you have a parachute available to you, it certainly can't hurt to wear it. Read the parachute manual so you know how to inspect, wear and use it. Make sure it has a current repack date. Also, it's helpful to think about a clear bail out plan.

there must be a check list for bailing out...........
headset, hatch, harness, hopout!!!!!!! weeeee:confused:

We know the door of a -10 can be opened in flight from the inside. Ted Chang was able to do it when he was on fire.

Getting out shouldn't be too terribly hard as long as you have some time and don't hit the tail when it goes by.

there must be a check list for bailing out...........
headset, hatch, harness, hopout!!!!!!! weeeee:confused:
I don't have a checklist but I do (did when the -4 was flying, anyway) bailout drills after shutdown. Duck and dump the canopy, shuck the harness and headset, and over the side.

...or was it 'dodge, duck, dip, dive, and dodge'?

First flight

I flew other A/C on the maiden voyage. If you spent 3-6 years crawling over, under and through the aircraft and you still think you might need a chute then you better spend a little more time on the ground.

...or was it 'dodge, duck, dip, dive, and dodge'?

The five Ds!

Back to the subject (I didn't vote per the OP's instructions)...

We wear parachutes a lot in the experimental Flight Test world. We do a lot of bailout drills, and in the larger airplanes, we put cargo nets right behind the door (aircraft is bouncing around, you bounce into the net, and then out of the door.)

In reality, if a business jet is tumbling end over end due to some catastrophic failure, who knows whether we'd be able to unbuckle seatbelts, oxygen, helmet, etc., climb out of the seat, make our way to the door, and jump out.

But, I'd feel pretty silly if I made it to the door and then...oh ****, we didn't wear parachutes today...

Last edited:
many people have forgotten, they are not building an experimental aircraft,
they are building a kit plane under the experimental category.

ps. since when was the "flutter test" in the fly off requirement?

I flew other A/C on the maiden voyage. If you spent 3-6 years crawling over, under and through the aircraft and you still think you might need a chute then you better spend a little more time on the ground.

Pardon me, but that's the sort of judgmental statement that gets people in trouble. Someone with less experience might well feel pressured into taking more risks than they otherwise might because they feel they'll be ridiculed if they don't take precautions.

Nothing wrong with wearing a chute, unless it impairs your ability to fly the airplane properly (and some do - it's then a "risk trade"). And a lot of folks aren't flying "stock" kits - they have made modifications.

I remember an article in one of the flying magazines a few years back in which they followed the Cessna production test pilots on production test flights - and yep, they were wearing parachutes in 172's.

Phase 1 isn't just "flying off the time" - it is testing. I agree that the CHANCES of needing to use a chute on an RV's first flight are very slim. But the CONSEQUENCES of needing one and not having it are very severe. risk trade - and everyone's risk line is in a slightly different place - which is OK.

Wear it if it fits into your risk management scheme, and don't if it doesn't - I can see both arguments, but won't deride other's for their choice.

Paul

many people have forgotten, they are not building an experimental aircraft,
they are building a kit plane under the experimental category.

ps. since when was the "flutter test" in the fly off requirement?

Except for all the variations in engines/props/cooling schemes, cowlings, wing tips, fairings, fast backs, cockpit layouts, instruments/avionics, extended range fuel tanks, etc...

considering that your first flight will probably be relatively low to the ground 2500-3000' and all other factors, one wonders if it is of any use.

I suppose the case for fire would be the strongest argument for having a chute, if you can get out in time.

Former Skydiver...

Chutes will open in as little as 250ft. That's 3 seconds after you lift off in an RV. :D

Former Skydiver...

Chutes will open in as little as 250ft. That's 3 seconds after you lift off in an RV. :D

That's just about enough time for the RV to hit my house, if it started it's crosswind turn.

I'm just thinking what I'd do. We have subdivisions surrounding our airport. I just couldn't leave the airplane, knowing that it's most likely going to hit something below..........even if it meant staying with it, to avoid certain objects..........such as people. At least with a pilot aboard, getting it down on a street is an objectic. Without a pilot, it's either luck or bad luck......for somebody.

L.Adamson

Last edited:
Plane 1, 2 - yes. 3 & 4, no. Wouldn't test fly it if I didn't think the risk was manageable without a parachute.

Maybe.

Did lots of maintenance test flying in H46's without a chute--plus lots of combat flying without a chute--would probably tend to make the passengers a little upset to see the flight crew in chutes.
That said, I still might strap one on for the first few flights.

Poll Closed

YES: 18%
NO: 82%

With over 1400 views of this thread and with 140 pilots voting, the results indicate 18% of you who have flown initial test flights of RV's have decided to wear parachutes, while 82% have decided not to.

The thread remains open for continuing comments.

NOne here as well...

i truly believe it would be very hard to egress from a 7 in any case. even when breaking the canopy. also, realistically with average flying altitudes of about 5000ft and terrain at around 1500ft, chances are, there may be little to no time, assuming the airplane in an unrecoverable attitude/situation where one might have to bail out.
also, assuming you have an ergonomic seating position/seats setup for no parachute, it's going to require some adjustment just for that, which in itself could be detrimental to the "used to" feeling, that you either may have from transition training / will get used to over the hours in your own airplane.

rgds, bernie

I'm going to always wear a chute in mine, just got used to it after years of flying Pitts and Extras. Feels to me like the bit about runway behind and altitude above - since I've got them I might as well use them, sure hate to be in a situation someday wishing they were not sitting in my hanger on a shelf.

Well, as Sam and others noted...to date, not a single example has been presented where someone bailed out of an RV with, or without, a chute...Hope to never hear about one...

To wear a parachute in an airplane with a canopy that can not be opened or jettisoned makes no sense.

To carry a rosary or a bible makes more sense.

Well, as Sam and others noted...to date, not a single example has been presented where someone bailed out of an RV with, or without, a chute...Hope to never hear about one...

Just to set the record straight, there is one instance where the pilot departed his RV-8 inflight without a chute. Was it a bailout...or something else? We don't know.

To wear a parachute in an airplane with a canopy that can not be opened or jettisoned makes no sense.
To do envelope expansion or aerobatics in an airplane you have absolutely zero chance of getting out of if you need to doesn't make sense to me.

People note that there hasn't been a successful bailout - unfortunately we don't know if there have been unsuccessful attempts (with a 'chute). We know that there have been cases where no 'chute was available and things ended very badly. I give myself the option - and I know my canopy will come off in flight.

Just to set the record straight, there is one instance where the pilot departed his RV-8 inflight without a chute. Was it a bailout...or something else? We don't know.

From the report, assuming we're referring to the July 10, 1999 event, it appears he had an engine failure, an oil fire in the engine compartment, and thermal stress to the Plexiglas windscreen. The NTSB concluded he suffered burns prior to bailing out. A very frightful scenario to be sure...

So opening or shedding the canopy may bring on more problems, depending on the situation. In light of this evidence, I'm not sure what I would do if faced with this situation. For some emergency scenarios, there is no "right" or "wrong" answer...just several options (hopefully) to choose from.

Last edited:
No Chute

RV-12 first flight. No chute at any time in the test period. Don't own one, never used one, and probably couldn't have gotten out wearing one.

Wayne 120241/ 143WM

Back