VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-28-2011, 11:15 AM

Default Bahamas Recommendations

So, I'm planning for a trip from Maryland down to the Bahamas in the spring. I'll pick up a high school buddy in South Carolina.

The idea is to fly to a different island every morning, and spend the rest of the day & overnight there just hanging out at a beach with a nearby bar/restaurant and living the laid back good life. As for lodging, I just want a place to stay; nothing fancy, or expensive. The resorts seem very expensive $250+ per night and they seem geared to multiple nights.

Has anybody been down there before that can tell me if there are places to stay that don't cost too much. More like $100 or less per night? Also, any recommendations on islands that would fit well into my plan? I've searched through the archives, but most RVers seem to have stayed at a single resort for the entire time. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just not what I'm looking for on this trip.

Thanks, Bill
Building Fokker DR-1 Triplane from Plans
http://www.pilotbill.com
Old 10-28-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybill7 View Post
So, I'm planning for a trip from Maryland down to the Bahamas in the spring. I'll pick up a high school buddy in South Carolina.

The idea is to fly to a different island every morning, and spend the rest of the day & overnight there just hanging out at a beach with a nearby bar/restaurant and living the laid back good life. As for lodging, I just want a place to stay; nothing fancy, or expensive. The resorts seem very expensive $250+ per night and they seem geared to multiple nights.

Has anybody been down there before that can tell me if there are places to stay that don't cost too much. More like $100 or less per night? Also, any recommendations on islands that would fit well into my plan? I've searched through the archives, but most RVers seem to have stayed at a single resort for the entire time. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just not what I'm looking for on this trip.

Thanks, Bill
Bill,
Send a PM to Rosie. He's been down there so many times, they're about to elect him President...

From Rosie: I always tell my travelers: "We didn't fly all the way here to save money...." No suggestions for what you are wanting to do. Be sure to add up all the extra taxes because they can really add up (to near double the room cost).
VAF #136
N424LZ Reserved

Last edited by Rosie : 10-29-2011 at 12:26 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:49 PM

i copy pasted some info from one of my clubs. you might try and use this info to try and get the same deal in the spring. good luck.

Grand Bahama International Airport, Grand Bahama Island, Bahamas
Is Debuting A Brand New 8,000 Square Foot State Of The Art FBO!!!!

Pre-Opening Fly-In
'Come And Experience The Sizzle'

Only 65 Miles From Florida
Get A First Hand Tour The New FBO

Let me know if you’re interested and we can caravan!

Hotel: Grand Lucayan Special Rates
· Single Occupancy $197.59
· Double Occupancy $234.39 Or $117.20 Per Person
Note: **Rates Are Inclusive Of Room, Taxes, Airport Fees, Round Trip Transfers**

Visit Grand Bahama Airport.....
See What The Locals Describe As “The Grand Life”

Will this be the first time you’ve flown your plane to the Bahamas?

There is lots of info at
http://www.bahamas.com/bahamas/vfr-flight-planning

Including checklists to enter and leave the Bahamas
http://www.bahamas.com/bahamas/enter
http://www.bahamas.com/bahamas/checklist-leave-0
Stuart, Fl / S WINDSOR,Ct / Virgin Gorda, BVI
VAF #840 EAA AOPA FAC FABA QB SPA
RV HOTEL LOCATION oct thru may.
Pain Free by Pete Egoscue= your answer to all your aches and pains. 'suffering is optional"
addicted pickle ball player
Old 10-28-2011, 09:23 PM

Default trip

keep on going about 140 more miles east to Marsh harbour stay on an out island like Hope town or Guana rent a runabout for a fun time
Old 10-29-2011, 08:59 AM

Out islands are a completely different experience than Nassau or Freeport. My two most recent experiences are Stella Maris Resort on Long Island, and the Staniel Cay Yacht Club on Staniel Cay, in the Exuma chain. Both very general aviation friendly. I don't have any experience with the lower priced places, but It looks like the Exuma chain might have lots of possibilities for you. Several airports along the chain. This place looks interesting and Normans Cay has some interesting history. It might not be a place you would want to spend the night, but you can stop in for lunch and some beach time. The Bahamas Tourism website should help you find some of those places, if word of mouth doesn't.
Great flying, friendly people, beautiful water, and good food.
Looking forward to our next visit!
VAF Paid 1/10/2018

"In '69 I was 21, and I called the road my own"
Jackson Browne

Last edited by dmaib : 10-29-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybill7 View Post

Thanks, Bill
Treasure cay is nice it has a Great Beach
Pilot discount is around 129 when we went a couple years back.
Have Fun it is awesome over there!
Old 10-29-2011, 07:08 PM

Default Bahamas vs S. Florida

I have a question about the allure of going to the Bahamas. Having vacationed in the Bahamas a few times and had a good time (via airlines or day ship) and flown around S. Florida, I haven't really realized the drastic difference in beaches or temperature between the two. Flying out of the country and going to remote locations are fun but are there, in your experiences, differences in beaches, etc to justify the additional cost and some risk in flying that 65+ miles over water to get there vs staying at FLL or Naples? I have flown to plenty of "exotic" places with the USAF so maybe my appreciation of safe water/food, reasonable crime levels and security might be skewing my questioning. Just asking.

Thanks,
John
RV-8
Old 10-29-2011, 07:30 PM

Very expensive but a must see regardless, is the Graycliff Hotel in Nassau. Perhaps dinner, tour of the cigar factory or tour one of the best wine cellars in the world...
Old 10-29-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Owen View Post
I have a question about the allure of going to the Bahamas. Having vacationed in the Bahamas a few times and had a good time (via airlines or day ship) and flown around S. Florida, I haven't really realized the drastic difference in beaches or temperature between the two. Flying out of the country and going to remote locations are fun but are there, in your experiences, differences in beaches, etc to justify the additional cost and some risk in flying that 65+ miles over water to get there vs staying at FLL or Naples? I have flown to plenty of "exotic" places with the USAF so maybe my appreciation of safe water/food, reasonable crime levels and security might be skewing my questioning. Just asking.

Thanks,
John
RV-8
Safe water/food and low crime levels are the norm in the Bahamas. I have not been to Nassau or Freeport for a few years now, but I think you will probably find them to be a bit more "big city" like as far as crime goes, but, nothing like the MIA/FLL area. My experience the past three years at the out islands has been really great. I find most Bahamians to be kind and friendly as well as scrupulously honest. The diving, snorkeling, and fishing are some of the best in the world. However, one can find some of that in the Florida Keys, as well.
It is hard to put my finger exactly on what the allure is for my wife and I, but both of us have traveled quite a bit to exotic destinations and we have come to believe that the Bahamas are as good or better than most of them, and only a short flight from the US. Of course, the fun of going in our own RV is a piece of it, too. The Bahamas govt. is extremely friendly to GA (more so than the US, it seems at times!).
Not sure I got the question answered, but that is my take on it.
VAF Paid 1/10/2018

"In '69 I was 21, and I called the road my own"
Jackson Browne

Old 10-30-2011, 11:22 AM

Default John

I also spent some time in exotic places courtesy of Uncle Sam. But I never saw the safe water, good berthing thing. I guess that is the difference between you Zoomies and us Squids!!!!

If you are looking for rustic, try looking for fishing guides. On some of the smaller islands they are hooked into more of the "local economy" that often means cheaper, more rustic (but in my opinion) still safe, and more fun (also IMHO) accommadations.

Oh yea, while your at it, try a day of bone fishing - the best island experience you can have!!!! Local guide, up close and personal with the food chain!!