Old 10-26-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainier Lamers View Post
The new V6 COM radio is now available.

Details and downloadable documents at www.MGLAvionics.co.za/VHF6.htm

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics
Hi Rainier,

When the Icom 210 first appeared with dual monitor function many people who had used the Garmin SL40 were disappointed because the ICOM automatically switched off dual monitoring whenever a transmission was made (ie. you had to switch the dual monitor function back on every time you pressed the PTT button). Pilots found this to be very annoying.

So therefore the question. Does the V6 dual scanning emulate the logic of the SL40....or does it have it's own "quirks" ?

Last edited by Captain Avgas : 10-26-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:47 AM

We're pilots.
It works the way you'd want it to work.

The V6 is based on a scanning receiver but based on the speed it is now possible to change to a new frequency, get the receiver stable and AGC aligned, check the signal level and finally get back to the original frequency and receiver states there is no loss of intelligibility of the received audio if you are receiving on the standby in priority mode. There are two quick mutes per second that you hear in this case but they are very short and turn out to be quite handy - you know that you are listening to standby without having to look at the radio.

The scanning is used either ON or OFF (obviously) but can be selected to operate in "normal" or "priority" mode. The "priority" mode is what you would normally use - it means that if there is anything on the main frequency and you where listening to standby - the receiver switches to main frequency as that has priority.
The only other setting related to this is if you would like the radio to start up with scanning on or off. My preference is "off" - I switch it on when I need it like on approach where I'd like to listen to tower and the approach or area frequency.

Pressing TX does not change the scanning. TX is always on the main (or primary) frequency - never on standby.

You can also use the radio in "single frequency" or "direct" mode. In this case it does not have main or standby frequencies - just a single frequency and you directly change the frequency you are operating in. This is mainly intended for base stations but may be useful for other operations.

I can understand why the A210 did what it did - one can argue that this is a good thing in some circumstances and some may even like it - it's just that rogue flyers like most of us tend to do things a little different.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Avgas View Post
Hi Rainier, I read your manual on the V6 but I'm not sure how the dual monitor function operates....apart from the fact that it monitors both the active and standby frequencies.

When the Icom 210 first appeared with dual monitor function many people who had used the Garmin SL40 were disappointed because the ICOM automatically switched off dual monitoring whenever a transmission was made (ie. you had to switch the dual monitor function back on every time you pressed the PTT button). Pilots found this to be very annoying.

So therefore the question. What is the functioning logic of your dual monitoring. Does is emulate the logic of the SL40.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:27 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainier Lamers View Post
The new V6 COM radio is now available.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics
Congratulations!!
EAA 512

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 10-26-2011, 12:06 PM

For those of us just now looking to buy, can you give a quick V10 v. V6 comparison?

Also, where can I buy?

Last edited by lolachampcar : 10-26-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:45 PM

Thanks for the reply Rainier. I see from the Manual that the screen is backlit. Is there a convenient (read easy) way to control the screen brightness for day/night ops.

A number of 2 1/4" transceivers with "intercom" ability have come onto the market in the past (Microair, Xcom) but the initial feedback on these products indicated that the intercom functions were not the real deal (ie. they were severely compromised).

Is your intercom performance and ease of use as good as one might expect from say a reputable brand stand-alone intercom or are there also compromises. My hearing is not as good as it once was and I can no longer afford to compromise on any audio quality. I need the best, so your candid comments on whether I should opt for a dedicated intercom would be appreciated.

Last edited by Captain Avgas : 10-26-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
A number of 2 1/4" transceivers with "intercom" ability have come onto the market in the past (Microair, Xcom) but the initial feedback on these products indicated that the intercom functions were not the real deal (ie. they were severely compromised).
I'll admit I'm a little biased but the intercom in the XCom works fantastic. My C150 has a FlightCom in it and I'm chomping at the bits to rip that thing out...its not very good.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Don't believe everything you read on the internet. -Woodrow Wilson
Old 10-26-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketbob View Post
I'll admit I'm a little biased but the intercom in the XCom works fantastic. My C150 has a FlightCom in it and I'm chomping at the bits to rip that thing out...its not very good.
Bob, you've been up and down in your appraisal of the Xcom over the years but I appreciate your comment. One of the local flight schools has MicroAir transceivers in their Jabiru aircraft and, to be honest, I reckon their transmissions are weak relative to other aircraft in the circuit at the same time. Is it possible that these cheap, small and light 2 1/4" transceiver models simply lack grunt. I've haven't heard too many people complain about the SL40.

Last edited by Captain Avgas : 10-26-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:17 PM

Earlier radios had some firmware issues related to intercom squelch which have been totally resolved. I helped resolve those issues and that is how I became involved in servicing them.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Don't believe everything you read on the internet. -Woodrow Wilson
Old 10-26-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:

The intercom is a fantastic feature in the XCOM radio, we are always getting feedback from customers about the audio quality and how it is so much better than Brand X and Y.... The best way is to look in the gallery section of our website and see the vast number of planes using the XCOM radio, from open cockpit through to fantastic plastics. http://www.xcom-usa.com/gallery/gallery.html
Who knows, you may even know some of the aircraft and can ask the owners directly about the quality of our intercom.

The XCOM was the first radio with true dual watch and has gone on to be copied by many others, as I always say the best way is to ask an XCOM owner but your opinion of the XCOM intercom is so very far from the truth.