What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

User Waypoints & Approaches

TX7A

Well Known Member
This question comes from a discussion I was having with another pilot. I have little knowledge of this sort of thing so here goes:

If I had a private airstrip out in the 'boonies' somewhere, would it be possible to "build" an LNAV/VNAV, or LPV approach with user waypoints using a GNS430 (or GTN650)?

I looked into that once as the situation applies to my home strip - basically you can't (or at least I couldn't figure out how to) make it give vertical guidance from user waypoints. You can certainly set up a non-precision approach for it though, and have the GPS/AP fly the ground course while you control altitude manually.

Disclaimer - what we are discussing here is, of course, theoretical and not legal in actual IMC conditions, and should not be used in IMC - which is probably the precise reason they won't let the box give you vertical guidance on user waypoints.

Last edited:
"not legal in actual IMC conditions"

Ahhh.... no wonder I couldn't find a way to assign altitude to a user waypoint.:D

If you do develop your own approach, you may be interested in the program "Final Approach" developed for the flight sim community. It'll allow you to build your own approach charts for any number of situations. Freeware download.

Yep

I have a created an approach for emergencies to my home airport with a 4 mile FAF. Our home airport doesn't have an FAA created RNAV approach yet.

The MGL 'glass' screens have the ability to create an ILS approach to a user waypoint and/or your local airport, called a GLS Approach, with vertical guidance as well!

Best,

Back