What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carrying dogs in RV

Bavafa

Well Known Member
We have got a dog (German shepherd about 60 lb) and hoping to take her on trips with us. So I was wondering how many people take their dog in a RV7 or similar and what has been their general experience with that? What is the longest leg one can expect to go with her in the back?

Calculation shows W/B should be all good with the weight.

Any tips in how to put her in the RV would be appreciate it.

Dogs

Be sure to secure the pet. My friends unsecured dog leaped into his lap at lift off causing a crash.

3 hrs

We have got a dog (German shepherd about 60 lb) and hoping to take her on trips with us. So I was wondering how many people take their dog in a RV7 or similar and what has been their general experience with that? What is the longest leg one can expect to go with her in the back?

Calculation shows W/B should be all good with the weight.

Any tips in how to put her in the RV would be appreciate it.

I have done 3 hrs legs with 2 rescue dogs in my 9A. It helps to have 2 people to load/unload, but there is a thread here where someone shows a nifty way to do it. Healthy dogs much easier than injured/sick ones. I use a rubber backed bath rug on the wing to avoid scratches.

little dog

Jake (12.5 lbs) is taking his first big trip in the morning, to New Mexico in one day. Short trips have consisted of his traveling from my lap to my sholders and in the baggage area looking outside. In the car and on the boat he eventually settles down and goes to sleep. Hopefully he will get comfortable as we are planning 4 hour legs.
Loud noise does seem to upset him so we have some Mutt-Muffs. Now if we can manage to hold them to his head while the epoxy sets up we will be good to go. The vet gave us some tranquilizers but did not reccomend them as the dog will want to sleep thru the rest stop and pee in his sleep the next leg.
Will let you know how it worked out when we get there.

I have done 3 hrs legs with 2 rescue dogs in my 9A. It helps to have 2 people to load/unload, but there is a thread here where someone shows a nifty way to do it. Healthy dogs much easier than injured/sick ones. I use a rubber backed bath rug on the wing to avoid scratches.

Those of course were dog legs right Pete?? :D

OK, OK, I'll keep my day job. ;)

Mutt-Muffs

I usually wait until after I start the engine before I place the Mutt-Muffs over my dog's ears. He seems to realize what they are for when I do that.

Loud noise does seem to upset him so we have some Mutt-Muffs. Now if we can manage to hold them to his head while the epoxy sets up we will be good to go.

You're going to epoxy the Mutt-Muffs to your dog's head?? :eek: :D

Okay.......

Well, duct tape will keep the Mutt-Muffs in place while the epoxy sets...three trips around his head should do the trick...but I'm not sure which experience he will enjoy less...ripping the duct tape off once the epoxy sets (along with the resulting fur/hair loss) or prying the epoxied Mutt-Muffs off his head once you reach New Mexico (again with fur/hair loss)...

I would recommend that you take along some heavy leather gloves to protect yourself with...or do a few turns around his muzzle while you've got the duct tape out... :D

And yes, I AM kidding! ;)

big trip/little dog

Jake made it to NM today. He shook and shivered for 3 of the 3.5 hours to Hot Springs before he calmed down. His head just won't keep the muffs in place very well and the kept falling off. Off HOT, he stop shaking as soon as the muffs went on. Most of the time he was on our laps, a little while on top of the baggage. He did let us know he needed an unscheduled stop in Childress, TX. The rest of the way was bumps and rain which did not seem to phase him. We think the rest of the trip (E98, CNM, OWB) and back home will be uneventful and boring for him.

I posted this a while back.

Here's how I load my 70# golden retriever in the baggage area. I bought a couple of rubberbacked bath mats/rugs. One goes on the wing walk area and the other goes over the side of the fuselage. I remove the passenger seat for loading access. The first time he wasn't sure what was happening but now jumps right in. For CG purposes, I remove everything else from the baggage area. Try this link for pictures of the process.

http://picasaweb.google.com/tacaruth/BennyAndAirplane#

Good Luck!

Tom, RV-7A Flying

Tom,
The pictures are great and thanks for that. Using those mats seem great though might be a bit heavier then I am hoping to carry with. Of course they will be good for the first few times till the dog get the hang of it.

Cheers for the info

Back