What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Instrument Panels

aerofurb

Well Known Member
After a suggestion from Tony T, here's a new thread that might be of use to builders.

Not only for variations on the instrument panel theme (which we can do in the UK and elsewhere) but might even be good for showing standard panels in different colours etc.

My panel uses two 10" SkyViews, SL30 nav/com (from a Mooney having a GNS530 upgrade :p ), remote PS Engineering intercom and back up analogue ASI, altimeter and compass (a UK requirement). I made new panels with the centre one including provision for a park brake control. CBs instead of fuses (my build partners request and it has proved useful during functional testing), switches where possible are standard RV ones bought from Van's.

Switch labels and placards were designed on a PC and printed on an inkjet printer on to self adhesive white paper then covered with clear self adhesive film.

Potential upgrade will be the Dynon com when it comes out mounted to the right of the switches (we can make the placard smaller then as we'll know what it says.... ;) ).

It took about 4 months of work to complete the panel from scratch but we had to fit the analogue instruments and then the potential wait for Van's SkyView sent us down the complete 'go it alone' route. We like the results and sort of enjoyed the panel project... :)

024ax.jpg

003ggq.jpg

004ogn.jpg

005mtn.jpg

006nya.jpg

I have a backup analog ASI, altimeter, and compass I am waiting to mount as well, nice to know they will fit where you have them. Not required on this side of the pond, but very nice to my way of thinking.

Really nice !
The best panel I've seen so far for the -12.
In like the analog backups too, I'll add them later if I go e-LSA.

The analogue instruments are all 2 1/4" and from Aircraft Spruce (cheapest ones available...).

It's a bit of a tight fit but they just all fit in the centre panel with modifications to the panel support angles.

Now I want to see pictures of white, grey, blue etc panels to see if we should have not painted it stain black.... ;)

Back